Proposal: Habs trades to change the things up

A Loyal Dog

I love SlafCaulZuki (pronounced Slafkovsky). Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Good god that is awful for Arizona. Wouldn’t give up Keller alone for that package, let alone OEL.
:lol:! Wouldn't give up Keller for Max Pacioretty + Alex Galchenyuk ++.. :biglaugh:!!!

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Damn... thats just crazy. Do u expect a Matthews/McDavid for Keller?

Personally, I would not trade Chucky for Keller. Chucky is more proven. Keller is still a prospect. Habs need proven scoring, chucky is exactly that. Unfortunately, habs management is completely inept but that isnt chucky's fault. Hes extremely good offensively. With a legit top line forward he was on pace for around 70 points (tho that was just 25 games, but going back to last season, with pacs, he was on a ppg pace).
Its very possible Keller becomes better than chucky, i wont argue that, but so can he busts out. Ill keep my proven player for now. Sure hes had a good preseason, but its just preseason. Otherwise, I would have u believe Mete is a legit top pairing Dman right now.

Then u got Pacs, probably the most underrated player on these boards alongside Chucky, + Juulsen, a great prospect, and a second round pick for one of the best Dman in the NHL. This is where it gets bad for Arizona. OEL is worth mare than a top line player + picks/prospects. But, he did have a bad season. So its not like ur not getting any value. Overall its a bad trade for Arizona, but comments like urs are awfully stupid.

No, what’s stupid is the coyotes dealing the highest rated cost controlled prospect in the league, their franchise defenseman and a leader for the youth in Richardson for guys that Keller likely will producer higher at.

Galchenyuk is good, no denying that, but Keller has the higher ceiling in most opinions and likely won’t be dealt. He is the best scoring prospect this club has probably ever had, not going to trade him for Galchenyuk.

So you now have
Max P
Juleson
2nd

For

OEL
Richardson

Can guarantee a team will smoke that if OEL becomes available. An obvious signed OEL, but come on man.

But, I’ll admit, I most certainly pulled a Leafs fan comment when I said I wouldn’t take that package for Keller alone, because, I would.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Thats a ridiculous claim to say, you take off any top6 foward from any team and its likely yo damage them alot. I dont think st-louis is looking great at all. Our biggest question mark is if Mete can still perform and keep doing his progression next to weber, if he does, our top 4 is looking good, not a fan of alzner and his contract but dont act like alzner - petry isnt a good top 4. Montreal still have 8M in cap space to work around, maybe we dont have that much assets but sometime capspace is a big factor, look at the drouin trade its a proof.

Cap space alone won't net you a top 6 forward outside of free agency. You need to be able to trade from strength to fill needs. I'll readily admit that I am not familiar with the Habs prospects - but having traded Segachev, what other high quality prospects does Montreal have to offer now?

Arizona and Toronto are arguably the most loaded teams in terms of forward prospects. Short of trading multiple high picks, I don't think you have anything they'd take for any of Kapanen, Leivo, Brown, Keller, Strome or Domi.

You have a serviceable top 4 Dcore. If Mete pans out, you guys are in good shape for about 45 mins of a game, but that projected bottom pairing is dicey at best. Granted, I'm only well read about Montréal, I would rather watch about 20 other teams play. But I think they reached trading Sergachev, they are going to miss him.

I'm on the fence about Drouin being a significant upgrade on Radulov. I think that your team would look better had it used your vaunted cap space to re-sign Radulov and kept Sergachev to improve your blue line. Drouin may be a 1C, at worst he's a top line winger. Radulov was definitely a top line winger. Dynamic, good for possession and good on the power play.

Proof? You think for a second Yzerman looked at Montréal's cap situation before agreeing to the Drouin trade? Montréal got Drouin because Tampa was in a cap bind, had to make a move, and Montréal had a blue chip prospect available. And they needed to sweeten the deal with a conditional pick, which if I had any say in it Tampa ensures Sergachev plays under the 40 games to get Montréal's 2nd (via WSH) in exchange for Tampa's 6th.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Cap space alone won't net you a top 6 forward outside of free agency. You need to be able to trade from strength to fill needs. I'll readily admit that I am not familiar with the Habs prospects - but having traded Segachev, what other high quality prospects does Montreal have to offer now?

Arizona and Toronto are arguably the most loaded teams in terms of forward prospects. Short of trading multiple high picks, I don't think you have anything they'd take for any of Kapanen, Leivo, Brown, Keller, Strome or Domi.

You have a serviceable top 4 Dcore. If Mete pans out, you guys are in good shape for about 45 mins of a game, but that projected bottom pairing is dicey at best. Granted, I'm only well read about Montréal, I would rather watch about 20 other teams play. But I think they reached trading Sergachev, they are going to miss him.

I'm on the fence about Drouin being a significant upgrade on Radulov. I think that your team would look better had it used your vaunted cap space to re-sign Radulov and kept Sergachev to improve your blue line. Drouin may be a 1C, at worst he's a top line winger. Radulov was definitely a top line winger. Dynamic, good for possession and good on the power play.

Proof? You think for a second Yzerman looked at Montréal's cap situation before agreeing to the Drouin trade? Montréal got Drouin because Tampa was in a cap bind, had to make a move, and Montréal had a blue chip prospect available. And they needed to sweeten the deal with a conditional pick, which if I had any say in it Tampa ensures Sergachev plays under the 40 games to get Montréal's 2nd (via WSH) in exchange for Tampa's 6th.

i dont get your point here, its literally what i have said up there, My proof is cap space can be a bitch, Drouin would still be a ligthning if it werent from cap situation, we're basicly saying the same thing with different word here. Im not gonna miss sergachev 1 bit considering what we got in return, i've never been a fan of him and would pull the trigger on this trade anytime, but yes keeping radulov would of made us alot stonger.

for the rest of your text, domi and keller are 2 realy nice pieces i'd like, but like any team i'd like prospect from they are untouchable. as for strome he's no upgrade anywhere and never liked him, kapanen, leivo etc are decent B prospect but nothing too crazy. Honestly Bergevin's plan is pretty unknown as we speak, but trust me you will likely see Hudon this season and he will impress you, like i did stated and you also said it we dont have much to trade but having the cap space available does give us an edge if a team is in trouble. our offense when the full line up is healthy is actually realy decent and is better than last year. Only question mark is if Mete can keep playing like this and and progress as the season goes. Of course they're will always be upgrades to be done, i still think Duchene as chances to land here. people keep saying alot of team can beat the offer, but we're on HFboards, Sometimes people offer stuff acting the GM would offer these players. theres stuff we dont know and maybe not much team are ready to actually spend A prospect Dman + for Duchene has had a rough year and is UFA in 2 years, cost controlled player are highly regarded

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
:edmonton
Gallagher
Mitchell
2nd rnd pick (Chi)

:habs
RNH
3rd

then

:coyotes
Galchenyuk
Max Pac
Juulsen
2nd Rnd pick 2019

:habs
Keller
OEL
B. Richardson

Then Habs sign Jagr for like 3 to 3.5 mill

J. Drouin - RNH - Hemsky
Lehkonen - Keller - Jagr
Hudon - Pleky - Byron
Shaw - Danault - Richardson

OEL - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Schlemko - Benn
Jerabek - Davidson

Price
Montoya

That's a more balanced team me thinks!

Ok let the roasting begin!

That's not even close for Arizona. Their best player and a top notch #1 D and their top prospect? Come on dude.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
No, what’s stupid is the coyotes dealing the highest rated cost controlled prospect in the league, their franchise defenseman and a leader for the youth in Richardson for guys that Keller likely will producer higher at.

Galchenyuk is good, no denying that, but Keller has the higher ceiling in most opinions and likely won’t be dealt. He is the best scoring prospect this club has probably ever had, not going to trade him for Galchenyuk.

So you now have
Max P
Juleson
2nd

For

OEL
Richardson

Can guarantee a team will smoke that if OEL becomes available. An obvious signed OEL, but come on man.

But, I’ll admit, I most certainly pulled a Leafs fan comment when I said I wouldn’t take that package for Keller alone, because, I would.
Thats fair enough. But that 'leafs' comment was stupid and u admitted it. Its all good. gl to ur yotes.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
so the new season has started already? i am aware of our lack of pure skills and backhand offense. But like i said this is preseason. honestly if Galchenyuk can start back to produce our full offensive line up is decent, we did lose radulov, Drouin has looked deadly on the powerplay and once they actually work on it, its gonna be deadly. dont underestimate guys like Hudon wich could sound pretty unknown for you but kid got a talent and a realy good IQ, Lehkonen could also blow up at any moment. going foward, Pacioretty, Drouin, Galchenyuk, lehkonen, gallagher, Hudon, plekanec, hemsky, shaw, danault thats alot of depth for a top 9 and once everybody is in game shape, i think its gonna be hard for teams to counter every single of these line. The crucial part is our defense, but if mete can keep playing good and earn the spot next to Weber and even progress as the season go it could realy look great.

Pacioretty - Drouin - Gallagher
Hudon - Plekanec - Galchenyuk
Lehkonen - Danault - Hemsky

Mete - Weber
Alzner - Petry
Benn - X

that doesnt look bad at all.
You're right that those players could pan out well like that, but that's a lot of ifs. You did forget Schlemko. He's a legit #4 d-man. Played like a #3/4 in SJ.

Reactions: KingCanadain1976

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
i dont get your point here, its literally what i have said up there, My proof is cap space can be a bitch, Drouin would still be a ligthning if it werent from cap situation, we're basicly saying the same thing with different word here. Im not gonna miss sergachev 1 bit considering what we got in return, i've never been a fan of him and would pull the trigger on this trade anytime, but yes keeping radulov would of made us alot stonger.

My point, is that without assets, cap space will not get you anything outside of free agency. Forget your like or dislike for a prospect. Sergachev is what bought you Drouin.

So the OP, is trying to dismantle your roster to fleece Arizona, specifically because there isn't much coming into Montreal, and universally these trade offers are being rejected. Your vaunted cap space won't buy you Duchene - even if Sakic lowers his asking price. Current cost is a blue chip defender, a prospect and a pick. You have one of 3 things being requested. At best Montréal can send 2-3 1sts, which would be a terrible mistake for the franchise.

This is my point. Even with cap flexibility, your team has virtually nothing left to offer. Your prospects will be groomed to fill out your top 9, but don't have enough promise as trade bait to upgrade your roster significantly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad