Proposal: Habs Trades (Pens/Blues/Wild/Kings)

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
These trades would be considered separate dealings (as some players appear multiple times)

Blues Receive: Patches

Habs Receive: Fabbri/Barbie (Conditional 1st round pick - If Fabbri plays 50 games next year, no pick)

Patches is an instant upgrade over all of the LWers on STL, and has a 2-way game that fits the St.Louis game plan. What they end up giving up are two prospective Centers, which Montreal desperately needs; one with a season ending (and potentially career damaging) injury in Fabbri, and one who is on the cusp of breaking through to the NHL in Barbashev. Barby has struggled in his stints in the NHL and has had relatively average season in the AHL as of recent, but a change of scenery could light the spark for him.

------

Penguins Receive: Patches, Alzner, 2017 4th

Habs Receive: Sprong, Lauzon, Maatta.

Patches is in his prime years, and fits perfectly with the Core 4 of Pittsburgh (Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Kessel). He instantly makes the team better on both sides of the puck, and with his lethal scoring abilities, he can slot in beside either Malkin or Crosby and be a phenomenal goal scorer. The Penguins only get better by adding Patches, and Alzner (and the 4th to accommodate for his slightly cumbersome contract) fill in nicely for Maatta, though obviously he is not a direct upgrade. Montreal gets three young players, two of which can play LD which is one of our more bare positions. Sprong becomes the future of our Right Wing, with Drouin/Galchenyuk/Sprong being a first line we can rely on for the next 6-8 years to produce at a high level.

-----

Wild Receive: Scherbak, McNiven, 2018 1st (Unprotected)

Montreal Receives: Brodin

Self explanatory. Scherbak has Top 6 potential and could be a great asset in the future for a relatively young Wild team. McNiven is an incredible, young goaltender who is the reigning CHL Goaltender of the Year, a position that the Wild are relatively thin on in their future. The 2018 1st at this rate is likely to be a top 6 pick, and Brodin fills a huge hole in Montreal.

-----

Kings Receive: *Patches or (Gallagher/Plekanec [50% retained]/Petry [20% retained]/2018 2nd)

Habs Receive: *Vilardi, *2018 1st or (Vilardi)

Kings get a true #1LW who can help them contend for a cup this year and next on a cost controlled contract, or a great partner for Muzzin as well as a Top 6 winger who fits perfectly into the Kings playstyle. Either way, the Habs get a prospective #1C who has size and fills a huge need on the team.

-------

In any, and all of these situations, the Habs guarantee the cap room to run at Tavares in the summer. I think all of these deals are close in value (The Wild one is a 50/50, but if the Habs continue to tank, the Wild get a lottery pick that could end up being Dahlin in which case we look like idiots).

In a perfect world, the Habs would find a way to get some young Centers and Brodin, and sign Tavares and Green in the off season.

Drouin/Tavares/Galchenyuk
Lehkonen/(Vilardi or Fabbri)/(Gallagher or Sprong)
Carr/Danault/Hudon
McCarron/Hudon/Shaw

Brodin/Weber
(Alzner or Maatta)/(Petry or Green)
Mete/Juulsen

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Patches for Vilardi+ would be interesting. The rest of these, mehhh (except for the Pens one which the Pens won't do). Tavares I'd quite confidently say is out of reach at this point.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I don't have anything intelligent to say about Scherbak; I don't know much about him besides what's on his EliteProspects' profile. If he does have some appreciable top 6 upside, that plus Montreal's unprotected 2018 1st isn't exactly bad value for Brodin.

Realistically though, I don't think Minnesota is interested in trading Brodin. If they were, I assume they'd want more of a 1-for-1, roster shake-up trade. This seems more like a rebuilding move and I don't think that's at all where management's head is at right now.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
No interest from Blues.

We already have a glut of players who can play LW; Schwartz, Steen, Fabbri, Schenn, Sobotka, Berglund and a couple of prospects.

We can't afford his cap hit in the short term, and an extension isn't realistic.

We also have a lot of prospects who are going to be pushing for a roster spot and enough NHL forwards as it is.

I makes much more sense for the Blues to gamble on Fabbri and Barbashev than going after a short term player who plays the forward position we are strongest in.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
No from Pens. Maatta screws the deal up. I’ll offer Sheary+Lauzon+Simon+1st.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Patches instantly upgrades over all of the Blues Left Wingers? You make Jaden Schwartz sad.

Also, no thanks

Before this year the statement would have been correct. Schwartz doesn't make it on Canadian media often enough for many to know how good he's gotten lol

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Before this year the statement would have been correct. Schwartz doesn't make it on Canadian media often enough for many to know how good he's gotten lol
Fair enough. His injuries really sidelined his production. We saw this Schwartz 2yrs ago before he fractured his ankle

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
I agree with my fellow king fans I don't want to trade away what little future prospects we have . Our first and top prospect going no where. Kings have there future lw in Iafallo who is doing just fine on the top line. Also when healthy i like our lineup Lets not forget the kings will be getting Gaborik Clifford and Carter back at some point I am fine with our lineup right now

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
Patches for Vilardi+ would be interesting. The rest of these, mehhh (except for the Pens one which the Pens won't do). Tavares I'd quite confidently say is out of reach at this point.

The one you find interesting would be of no interest to the Kings. We aren't dealing our top prospect ++ for 1.5 years of a great regular season winger who disappears when the games really matter.

Reactions: Kingspiracy

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Patches is definitely not an upgrade over Schwartz. Would rather gamble on Fabbri having a good return season next year.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
The one you find interesting would be of no interest to the Kings. We aren't dealing our top prospect ++ for 1.5 years of a great regular season winger who disappears when the games really matter.

For all we know, he might turn out to be an absolute beast in the next playoffs. I'm pretty sure he would make your team instantly better but whatever, you can keep counting on Gaborik to bring the extra boost to your scoring.

go4hockey

Oct 14, 2007
Alta Loma CA
For all we know, he might turn out to be an absolute beast in the next playoffs. I'm pretty sure he would make your team instantly better but whatever, you can keep counting on Gaborik to bring the extra boost to your scoring.

We have a good roster and still will add Carter in time. No need to mortgage the future for a player we have not seen perform well in big games. Maybe if Patches could perform like Gaborik has in the playoffs his value would be as high as most Montreal fans Wished it was. Enjoy your bottom barrel roster we will not be helping you to fix it look elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: JetBlue420

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
We have a good roster and still will add Carter in time. No need to mortgage the future for a player we have not seen perform well in big games. Maybe if Patches could perform like Gaborik has in the playoffs his value would be as high as most Montreal fans Wished it was. Enjoy your bottom barrel roster we will not be helping you to fix it look elsewhere.

Nobody gonna help them.

Reactions: go4hockey

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Lol, cool. We will shop our guys somewhere else then. Good luck for the playoffs, I hope your clutch performer Gaborik brings you the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad