Confirmed with Link: Habs traded Brandon Baddock for Andrew Hammond

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Don't see why anyone cares much about the Laval team this year. Isn't it like usually 4-5 at most players we've drafted playing on any night? Baddock was protecting basically Ylonen at this point and AHL enforcers are a dime a dozen. Now there's Primeau (maybe) to include as a mildly exciting prospect beside Ylonen.

SpitfireG

Sep 29, 2013
Habs still have Primeau + three pretty good youngsters with Dobes, Vrebatic and Dichow

Dichow and Dobes are most promising among them. Btw Dichow had a strong game vs Russia on OG,

Last edited:

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Don't see why anyone cares much about the Laval team this year. Isn't it like usually 4-5 at most players we've drafted playing on any night? Baddock was protecting basically Ylonen at this point and AHL enforcers are a dime a dozen. Now there's Primeau (maybe) to include as a mildly exciting prospect beside Ylonen.

Laval is fun to watch and they're having success. That is why many care about Laval.

Players in Laval right now that Habs drafted: RHP, Ylonen, Brook, Fairbrother, Vejdemo, Hillis, as well as Teasdale, who was signed as an undrafted. And now Primeau.

And if they continue having success and make their way into the playoffs, then you can maybe hope guys like Poehling, Caufield, and hopefully Harris is here. That would make it 11 prospects on the farm team.

Baddock was fun to have. But I agree with you that a little too much importance is given to him in the overall scheme of things within the organization. Hammond coming here is mainly to help Primeau. And if it cost an AHL 4th liner (who we all appreciated), then that's more than worth it.

Reactions: Heffyhoof

Heffyhoof

Jan 17, 2016
Laval is fun to watch and they're having success. That is why many care about Laval.

Players in Laval right now that Habs drafted: RHP, Ylonen, Brook, Fairbrother, Vejdemo, Hillis, as well as Teasdale, who was signed as an undrafted. And now Primeau.

And if they continue having success and make their way into the playoffs, then you can maybe hope guys like Poehling, Caufield, and hopefully Harris is here. That would make it 11 prospects on the farm team.

Baddock was fun to have. But I agree with you that a little too much importance is given to him in the overall scheme of things within the organization. Hammond coming here is mainly to help Primeau. And if it cost an AHL 4th liner (who we all appreciated), then that's more than worth it.
I was kinda looking at it from a Montreal fan kind of view, forgot the general hockey fan point of view. I like your optimism and didn't think about the Harris situation or that we could send some of the young lads down for a playoff run.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Funny, had Hammond as part of a proposal I was going to post the other day...

Makes sense as a stop gap target that allows Primeau to go to laval.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Of all the guys I wanted to trade.... Baddock wasn't one of them. But yeah, we needed a goalie and to save Primeau. Ah well.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006

I think the only reason is because Habs fans want to see Laval go far in the playoffs so some of the prospects can get some games in. Baddock was valuable as he makes everyone a couple of inches taller and is a good leader. Habs were in a desperate pickle though and needed a warm body who can suit up in goal in the NHL. Primeau needs to be sent down.

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
This trade was written in the sky…we knew from the moment the trade happened that Primeau would be sent down to Laval. This will do him good where he can develop and regain his confidence.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Hammond is from White Rock BC.
So he's a MacFish Burger deal.
white rockbc.jpg

... without bacon but with cheese.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don't, our goal is to get 1st OV, the last thing I want is a goalie playing out of his head and winning games by himself. He's just a warm body to help Primeau get his confidence back in Laval.
Hammond won't make that much of an impact to jeopardize our first pick. Even if we finish dead last in league our odds of drafting first is only 17%

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Hammond isn’t moving the needle one way or the other he short or long term… Braddock isn’t moving the needle much either but you need guy like this in the AHL… It is a nothing move but I not sure à like this move. Unless there was a isssue with Braddock that I don’t know about…

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Hammond isn’t moving the needle one way or the other he short or long term… Braddock isn’t moving the needle much either but you need guy like this in the AHL… It is a nothing move but I not sure à like this move. Unless there was a isssue with Braddock that I don’t know about…
The simple explanation might be that the other party just values Baddock for their AHL team and that was the price to pay to get a goalie. It's a trade-off. The #1 priority was to get Primeau out of a toxic situation.

Reactions: Sam de Mtl and SOLR

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
Though....losing Baddock for Laval will not be fun. The only guy playing the role he played. Wonder what it will do to the team. You actually lose a tough guy that plays physical, and you HAVE to use in net a goalie who has no confidence....

Not sure Primeau has no confidence at all, let's see how he does when he comes back to Laval. I think he'll be ok. Primeau is pretty resilient in general. He's just not ready to be exposed in the NHL, but I could name only 15-20 NHL goaltenders with that skill (out of 70). Allen was no better than Primeau. Montembault seems to be able to rise up 1 game every 2 or 3 (salute!).

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Hammond is a keeper. I see him leading the Habs to the playoffs next season.

If Price and Allen were to become 100% healthy by the end of the regular season, and came back to prove it, it would be interesting to see what we could get for each of them in the way of futures, and go with Montembault and Hammond for another rebuilding year next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs13 and Walrus26

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
A second round pick for Andrew Hammond?

wade-barrett-bad-news.gif

No doubt this is highly unlikely. But we've seen Brandon Davidson traded for a 3rd, Maxim LaPierre traded for a 2nd, after we let him go for cheap.

Almost certainly too little time for Hammond to get his value up to a 2nd. But it will be interesting to see where Montembault and Hammond's values are in the near future.

A healthy Jake Allen's value has to be sky high right now with his performance this year. AMD I think a healthy Price has high value with salary retained. So we could potentially get some good picks and/or prospects by moving two of our goalies innthe near future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad