Confirmed with Link: Habs trade Philippe Lefebvre and a 7th to Florida for George Parros

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Having played hockey at a level where fighting was allowed, I can't disagree more with that post. You're right that Subban can throw a cheap hit and turtle, but he'll take a pounding for it anyway. Will he do it again? Maybe, maybe not, but he'll remember what happened the last time and he'll know that there would be a price to pay for his actions. Emelin is a good example when Chara went after him. Fighting won't prevent hockey from happening (hitting for example), but it makes players accountable and think twice before being stupid.

Fighting will prevent dirty hits whether you want to believe it or not, as a lot of players don't play dirty because they're scared of having to pay for it. Just like some players don't go in the corners or in front of the net because there's a price to pay. Just like some players don't distribute bodychecks because there is a price to pay. Just like some players don't block shots because there is a price to pay.

Gonna have to disagree with you There. You don't wake up one day and decide to play dirty. Plekanec didn't decide to not play dirty because he's scared he'll have to face the music. You either are a dirty player because its your style, or you're not. It's not a skill you suddenly develop, it's a character trait.
Everybody can resort to dirty little cheap shots caused by frustration, like slashes or pokes or crosschecks. But not to many people resort to big cheap shots because they usually equal injuries.

I think fighting prevents close to nothing nowadays. Players go around doing just about what they want 99% of the time. If you're arguing that it would be worse than man, considering I already find it bad, it would be absolutely nuts 80s hockey style.
But my point is things could be better and increasing suspensions is the right way to go about it. Maybe it won't happen due to politics, but that's another debate.

As for you playing, when was this? And it was in a different league.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Gonna have to disagree with you There. You don't wake up one day and decide to play dirty. Plekanec didn't decide to not play dirty because he's scared he'll have to face the music. You either are a dirty player because its your style, or you're not. It's not a skill you suddenly develop, it's a character trait.
Everybody can resort to dirty little cheap shots caused by frustration, like slashes or pokes or crosschecks. But not to many people resort to big cheap shots because they usually equal injuries.

I think fighting prevents close to nothing nowadays. Players go around doing just about what they want 99% of the time. If you're arguing that it would be worse than man, considering I already find it bad, it would be absolutely nuts 80s hockey style.
But my point is things could be better and increasing suspensions is the right way to go about it. Maybe it won't happen due to politics, but that's another debate.

As for you playing, when was this? And it was in a different league.

The point you're missing is we have a lot of guys on the roster who's game is playing with an edge(Emelin Subban Bouillon Prust White Moen Bourque Eller etc). Playing that way becomes easier with a 6'5" 230lbs heavyweight backing you up, that wasn't the case last year.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
The point you're missing is we have a lot of guys on the roster who's game is playing with an edge(Emelin Subban Bouillon Prust White Moen Bourque Eller etc). Playing that way becomes easier with a 6'5" 230lbs heavyweight backing you up, that wasn't the case last year.

Well we will see about that. Just saw Parros on TV today and he is a firm believer that if you do something stupid, you have to pay the consequences. Somehow, you have to feel that it applies to his own players. So if White acts stupid once again and Lucic is on the ice, White might not have a choice and get beat up even if Parros is on the bench or even on the ice. I mean, did our guys really had way more liberties when even the great Laraque was there?

What I will agree with you is that true....the feeling they have will be that they are way more protected. They will feel good about it. But when the puck drops, reality might be different and if you are the one distributing the dirty or cheap shots, chances are you will have to answer no matter which big guy dresses for you.

Personnally, the biggest change will be for Prust. Since Moen forgot that he should have been his role too, Prust was going at it alone. Not anymore. That should drop his fights in half and that means, surely a more rested less hurt Prust and that's great for us.

It is possible that Parros isn't the scary guy he once was. But I couldn,t care less now, it's more about a guy who needs to do his job and let some of the others concentrate on hockey.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Of course, I never denied that, except I think it only gets "easier" for Prust, White and Moen.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Of course, I never denied that, except I think it only gets "easier" for Prust, White and Moen.

Well, "mostly" anyway. Lets those three in particular focus more on earning their minutes through their play than that role they've been necessarily asked/expected to play on a very regular basis. Thing is, there has been a declining need/effectiveness, imo, with regards to the super-heavyweight staged/statement bouts. Compare the shift in "effectiveness" associated in recent years with the Marchands, Cookes, Averys, Carcillos, etc to the modern equivalents of Laraque/Boogard/Shelley/etc, and how the league is treating/monitoring/evaluating the situation surrounding fights (especially any that even remotely smell of being "staged") - not just the fights themselves.

Last edited:

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Well we will see about that. Just saw Parros on TV today and he is a firm believer that if you do something stupid, you have to pay the consequences. Somehow, you have to feel that it applies to his own players. So if White acts stupid once again and Lucic is on the ice, White might not have a choice and get beat up even if Parros is on the bench or even on the ice. I mean, did our guys really had way more liberties when even the great Laraque was there?

What I will agree with you is that true....the feeling they have will be that they are way more protected. They will feel good about it. But when the puck drops, reality might be different and if you are the one distributing the dirty or cheap shots, chances are you will have to answer no matter which big guy dresses for you.

Personnally, the biggest change will be for Prust. Since Moen forgot that he should have been his role too, Prust was going at it alone. Not anymore. That should drop his fights in half and that means, surely a more rested less hurt Prust and that's great for us.

It is possible that Parros isn't the scary guy he once was. But I couldn,t care less now, it's more about a guy who needs to do his job and let some of the others concentrate on hockey.

But... but... Some posters kept saying Prust getting hurt had NOTHING to do with his workload! :laugh:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
But... but... Some posters kept saying Prust getting hurt had NOTHING to do with his workload! :laugh:

For me it was not the workload, I'd be happy with prust fighting the same or more next year, it that he was obligated to often fight out of his weight class. It would have been nice if he an Moen could have split duties but that ship looks like its sailed. We won't be the toughest team in the league but staschy, prust and a rejuvinated Moen ( a guy can dream can't he) and hopefully a more mature white makes the team both tougher and more situationally responsive.

CanadiensforLife

Sep 11, 2010
Montreal
George in a Habs uniform. What a beauty.

Attachments

• 1N9A6713.jpg
    1N9A6713.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 32

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

There's no way to prove it was or wasn't. His first injury happened after he missed a hit and crashed his shoulder into the boards. You can argue his shoulder was at a weakened level due to his workload, but maybe it wasn't.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Just in case people missed it, go on the Habs site on HabsTv to see Parros first visit in Montreal. A couple of small vids in there.

Analyzer*

Prust had 10 fights in half a season and he had 20 the previous season. His injury was sustained in a play that I have no idea what he was doing. I guess he lost his balance, but he went into the board hard and awkward.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Prust had 10 fights in half a season and he had 20 the previous season. His injury was sustained in a play that I have no idea what he was doing. I guess he lost his balance, but he went into the board hard and awkward.

Yet, his style of play and not having any help this season makes a 6'0'' 200 lbs guy take much bigger guys in his fights which clearly could affect his shoulder ON TOP of playing hard every night.

So we don't know what created it but a guy like him playing the style he does, fighting as much as he does has to result in being more injured as his career progresses. We want the good Prust to play his contract with us, might as well get him as much help possible.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I didn't see the Last gladiators movie up until 10 minutes ago...finished watching it. And still don't understand the need.

Made me SICK to my stomach to hear McSorley trying to explain the time that he smacked Brasher in the head with his stick 'cause he wanted Brasher to fight him and he went as far as saying that he was dissapointed in Brashear's attitude 'cause seems he didn't want to fight McSorley that time around.....my god. So many "they have to fight" pathetic excuse...so tired of this....and it still go on today, one of the reasons why I want the ban of this....

Why the **** is that possible for a monster like Lucic to be in his right to NOT fight goons 'cause Mr. Lucic is so important to his team yet, any other player who unfortunately for him plays hard, is NOT in his right to not fight the other tough guys? No, the Subban, the Emelin, geez even the Marchand's aren't asking to be beat up in a fight. They are playing without the rule of what's are handing to them. The day that the "rules" change and become less tolerant, they will adapt. Just like everybody is adapting themselves to any other rules. But as of now, you are allowed to run your mouth. And if Subban gets you away from your game, you are the idiot. Not him. Geez, you should be beat up if you can't stand a guy that runs his mouth....Ignore him and hit him hard if you want.

It's incredible that MOST of those goons were able to play in this league because of that one trait. Like most of them said themselves, if they weren't able to do just that...they'd be out of a job. Todd Ewen did say that he couldn't even lose 2 fights in a row or they'd lose confidence in him and he'd be out of a job. Yet, the hockey game is so much wider than this. If you can't do one trait of a game, you can probably do tons of others....but not goons.

The ONLY necessity for that trait of a game was in the Philly days. When initimidation WAS indeed a tactic that indeed WORKED. Until the Habs came and stopped that. Since then....it's all talent.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I didn't see the Last gladiators movie up until 10 minutes ago...finished watching it. And still don't understand the need.

Made me SICK to my stomach to hear McSorley trying to explain the time that he smacked Brasher in the head with his stick 'cause he wanted Brasher to fight him and he went as far as saying that he was dissapointed in Brashear's attitude 'cause seems he didn't want to fight McSorley that time around.....my god. So many "they have to fight" pathetic excuse...so tired of this....and it still go on today, one of the reasons why I want the ban of this....

Why the **** is that possible for a monster like Lucic to be in his right to NOT fight goons 'cause Mr. Lucic is so important to his team yet, any other player who unfortunately for him plays hard, is NOT in his right to not fight the other tough guys? No, the Subban, the Emelin, geez even the Marchand's aren't asking to be beat up in a fight. They are playing without the rule of what's are handing to them. The day that the "rules" change and become less tolerant, they will adapt. Just like everybody is adapting themselves to any other rules. But as of now, you are allowed to run your mouth. And if Subban gets you away from your game, you are the idiot. Not him. Geez, you should be beat up if you can't stand a guy that runs his mouth....Ignore him and hit him hard if you want.

It's incredible that MOST of those goons were able to play in this league because of that one trait. Like most of them said themselves, if they weren't able to do just that...they'd be out of a job. Todd Ewen did say that he couldn't even lose 2 fights in a row or they'd lose confidence in him and he'd be out of a job. Yet, the hockey game is so much wider than this. If you can't do one trait of a game, you can probably do tons of others....but not goons.

The ONLY necessity for that trait of a game was in the Philly days. When initimidation WAS indeed a tactic that indeed WORKED. Until the Habs came and stopped that. Since then....it's all talent.

People have a hard time letting go of the past. They just can't or just don't want to change and evolve. Too many stay complacent.

Analyzer*

Goons, heavy weights, whatever you want to call them are a part of this game, because if you didn't have that, you would have guys like Lucic that are skilled and big and mean. They would be able to go around and level people, pick fights. Take fighting out and Lucic and his 6'4 225lb frame levels one of our players, what are we to do ? Hope there's a penalty ?

Intimidation doesn't help win games now ? The **** are you talking about ? The habs of the 70s did have skill, but they had players that could lay a beat down when need be. Just like at Robinson. Norris winning dman who was a heavy.

Even in today's game, if you don't think going into the corner first at 5'9 175 against a guy who's 6'5 230 is going to play in your mind, then you're dead wrong.

You don't think people get frustrated and want to vent their frustration with fighting, but can't because they're weak? Can't fight. They do.

Yes, what McSorely did was terrible and I'm not even sure why he wanted him to fight again since Brashear beat his ass before.

Intimidation is a tactic. If used right, of course. If you're going to run around like an idiot and take numerous penalties and get thrown out of the game, it's not really a tactic for your team. If you can throw a big hit when a player is vulnerable, then it's a great tactic. Intimidation isn't just fighting and being that big guy on the other team, it's in the physical play, too. If you're wanting to enter the offensive zone, but you know the other team has d that like to step up, know how to hit and hit to hurt, then you're going to be cautious about it. You're not going to fly in there.

A player can run rough shot over a team and do it effectively so it doesn't hurt his team.

****, you can intimidate in Baseball and Basketball.

Todd Ewen saying the team would lose confidence in him if he lost fights. Isn't that the same as a team losing confidence in a goalie who can't make the needed save ? The goal scorer who disappears when needed ? The hard working mucker who can't get the puck out ? Why have a fighter who can't win fights ? Why have a goal scorer who can't score ? Why have a goalie who can't make a save ?

For losing 2 fights in a row is a bit extreme and probably on the verge of a hyperbole, but the gist of it is true.

A lot of goons learn that they need to skate their ass back to the defensive zone and learn how to play well defensively.

You can't just be like "Oh, all he does is fight... He's so skilled.... We don't really need him" The fact that many Toronto players admitted to feeling more confident on the ice knowing that 6'5 Frazer McLaren, 6'4 Colton Orr and 6'4 Mark Fraser were there to back them up seemed to help their team out, at least for the shortened season.

I hope the Sprague Cleghorn tactic is brought back. You know, the old grease up the stick and spear people so the ref couldn't catch it. Maybe we can abolish fighting and have those punks in full cages skating around taking runs all the time like those puke, underaged Russians would.

People think players getting hit from behind is bad now. Just wait until no one will fight you without severely hurting their own team and all you get is a 2 minute minor. Pukes like Marchand, Kaleta, Ott, Lapierre, Burrows, etc will be doing even more despicable things.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Goons, heavy weights, whatever you want to call them are a part of this game, because if you didn't have that, you would have guys like Lucic that are skilled and big and mean. They would be able to go around and level people, pick fights. Take fighting out and Lucic and his 6'4 225lb frame levels one of our players, what are we to do ? Hope there's a penalty ?

Just to be clear are you suggesting that Lucic doesn't do this already? I had no idea Lucic only threw body checks against teams without enforcers.

The idea that fighting prevents other players from playing the game hard is insane. NHL players aren't that easily intimidated or they wouldn't have made it to the NHL.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Take fighting out and Lucic and his 6'4 225lb frame levels one of our players, what are we to do ? Hope there's a penalty ?

if it's a legal hit, what's the problem? players not allowed to hit because they have a "hitting" advantage? if it's illegal, it should be a penalty/suspension. does fighting prevent players from hitting?

Yea intimidation works, because it's allowed in the form of fighting. Intimidation will still be there, as in the sense of "watch yourself, im gonna ram you into the boards" and that's part of the game.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Just to be clear are you suggesting that Lucic doesn't do this already? I had no idea Lucic only threw body checks against teams without enforcers.

The idea that fighting prevents other players from playing the game hard is insane. NHL players aren't that easily intimidated or they wouldn't have made it to the NHL.

So why do teams continually dump the puck into the corners to punish defensemen? If the defensemen are not easily intimidated they would be rushing into the corners late in the third not looking over their shoulders.

My guess is that as rare as it is Fleischman isn't going to run another hab in the numbers anytime soon. Even the guys who think they can do what they like and skate away even when challenged will eventually get served their just deserts.

If you don't think that taking a licking does not affect players going forward, I submit lucic vs Komisarek. Komi could have just shook it off, right?

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
So why do teams continually dump the puck into the corners to punish defensemen? If the defensemen are not easily intimidated they would be rushing into the corners late in the third not looking over their shoulders.

My guess is that as rare as it is Fleischman isn't going to run another hab in the numbers anytime soon. Even the guys who think they can do what they like and skate away even when challenged will eventually get served their just deserts.

If you don't think that taking a licking does not affect players going forward, I submit lucic vs Komisarek. Komi could have just shook it off, right?

Defenceman don't rush into the corners because it's not effective, they only have a split second to make a play before the forward takes them out of the play and causes a turnover. It's much more intelligent to let the forward go in first and then hit him yourself.

So why did Fleischman run a hab in the first place. How come he wasn't afraid of getting into a fight? Fleichmans not a dirty player, he made a split second decision that resulted in a cheap hit. Next time he makes a split second decision it's unlikely he'll be thinking of White.

Prior to the fight Komisarek was doing a great job shutting down guys like Lucic without fighting. In fact it drove Lucic mad when Komi wouldn't fight him getting him completely off his game. Maybe Komi lost his mojo after getting beat up, maybe his injury hurt him, maybe it was going from Markov to Kaberle as D partners, maybe it was the cluster ****** that was Toronto's defensive system. But it's funny people often forget that even before the fight Komi was struggling quite a bit that season and had regressed from the year before.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Fleischman isn't going to run anybody because that's not his game, not because White "taught him a lesson".

Komi was never the same because of the injury he suffered in a Lucic fight, but he never stopped going back, and mainly because he didn't play next to Markov anymore. He still always played his rugged style, nothing changed in his attitude. He wasn't less aggressive, less physical or more shy. You see what you want I guess.

It's true that some people shy away from contact, but those types play like that from the start of their careers, or due to an injury they suffered at some point, or are still injured. It has nothing to do with fighting.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

Re-watch the Ottawa Montreal series.

One shot and done. We had very few forwards willing to crash the net against the huge Sens DMen.

Was that intimidation? Or did the Habs suddenly forget how to play effective offensive hockey? Or do we have players who should not be in the NHL?

Hockey players are humans and not just some electronic image that people see on a computer screen. They feel pain and they have emotions as well.

Attempts to intimidate players, when tried and is successful, will be repeated over and over again. Ask our hottest player going into the playoffs, Gallagher, about the beatings he took and then ask him if that had an effect on his drop in scoring.

Fighting is not about direct prevention. No, it is about retribution. If you are willing to dish out the punishment on star players, expect to receive punishment in return. Basic and simple.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Lucic fights whenever he decided to do it. 'Cause they have that code that says that Lucic don't fight goons. So even if you'd like to fight Lucic because he does level your small player....yes...hope there's a penalty or wish you can level him the same way he leveled your small player. 'Cause that's the ONLY way you'd get him fighting....

Intimidation doesn't help win games now ? The **** are you talking about ? The habs of the 70s did have skill, but they had players that could lay a beat down when need be. Just like at Robinson. Norris winning dman who was a heavy.

What you are describing me is the type of team I want. A great skilled team with the greateset of mix. The physicality of it though could be solely handled with hitting though. Back in the days, and still today, yes, fighting exist. Point is that you can be intimidating AND not fight based on your own very point coming here....

Even in today's game, if you don't think going into the corner first at 5'9 175 against a guy who's 6'5 230 is going to play in your mind, then you're dead wrong.

ABSOLUTELY. Which is my point. No need to fight....some players are actually backing down from being hit. Even moreso, smaller players will NOT fear the big tough guys from the other team as nobody will applaud to see Colton Orr beat down Gallagher. But every player in this league knows that if you do on Emelin or Subban side, you might be hit so hard that it makes them intimidating....and they are probably the worst fighters in the NHL.

Intimidation is a tactic. If used right, of course. If you're going to run around like an idiot and take numerous penalties and get thrown out of the game, it's not really a tactic for your team. If you can throw a big hit when a player is vulnerable, then it's a great tactic. Intimidation isn't just fighting and being that big guy on the other team, it's in the physical play, too. If you're wanting to enter the offensive zone, but you know the other team has d that like to step up, know how to hit and hit to hurt, then you're going to be cautious about it. You're not going to fly in there.

I have nothing against intimidation. Not my point. Intimidation THROUGH fighting. That's my point. Not anymore. Back in the days, chances are, even if you were small, you might even face Schultz or any other crazy guy that would benefit from a scrum, a brawl or even when all those bench clearing incidents would happen to settle the score, as small as you were. Not anymore. At least, not like it happened before. There were no instigating before. Now there is. And today, bench clearing incidents would NOT look good. You have to think that suspensions would be harsher. And that the league want nothing to do with what it was before. Something tells me that if they think right now, in 10-20 years, they might think the same for what they're seeing now.

So yes for hard hits. Incredibly yes. If anything, without fighting, chances are intimidation would even play a stronger role. Chances are you'd see more tough and big hits. The legal ones with a slim chance of stupid retaliation by fighting....Probably one of the most stupid reaction in the league today.

Todd Ewen saying the team would lose confidence in him if he lost fights. Isn't that the same as a team losing confidence in a goalie who can't make the needed save ? The goal scorer who disappears when needed ? The hard working mucker who can't get the puck out ? Why have a fighter who can't win fights ? Why have a goal scorer who can't score ? Why have a goalie who can't make a save ?

No it's not the same as there's no correlation between a team that wins fights wins more games compared to a team that has the best goalie or the best offense or the best defense. In the playoffs, you remove fighting from the game. But you'll never remove the goal scorers, the hard working plugger or the great goalie. Which means, if it's not useful in the most important season of the season....it's not useful period and the only purpose it serves is that it's another show in the bigger show. Might gives a few moral victories to losers.

People think players getting hit from behind is bad now. Just wait until no one will fight you without severely hurting their own team and all you get is a 2 minute minor. Pukes like Marchand, Kaleta, Ott, Lapierre, Burrows, etc will be doing even more despicable things.

Thing is, those guys have never stopped. It's tough to imagine them being worst than they are. For one reason only....have they fought the tough goons of the league? Well Kaleta do have some fighting skills. But the others who don't who just yap and provoke....they don't answer through fighting anyway....You want them to stop? Since they are able to turtle and avoid to fight...hit them the way they do. They won't be able to avoid that.

Last edited:

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
I don't think those on opposite sides of fight spectrum will ever come to agreement on it's benefits or lack there of. Those that believe what they believe are usually locked into their view point and unlikely to change their opinion based on anything put forward in these threads. I think debating whether it should/shouldn't be part of the game is largely irrelevant.

For now it is accepted and sought after by gm's ect. The question should be, do we conform to the existing rules in place and attempt to use it as a tactical advantage, or do we simply ignore this aspect of the game?

To me, as long as it continues, we need to get on board. It's a portion of our game that we currently don't have, whether we need it or not is up for debate. I think adding another dimension or as many dimensions as possible is a good idea. When the speed finesse game isn't working it would be nice to get a lift from another direction. Perhaps a spark can be created, perhaps it can't, the risk is almost nothing. The difference between an average 4th liner and one dimensional goon isn't as large as suggested, and if it adds another dimension to the team, quite possibly worth the minor discrepancy in talent. Armstrong contributed like 3 goals all season, it's quite possible a goon could match his offensive output while adding another dimension. Armstrong did other things well, but he's easily replaced.

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal

I saw your tweet the other night about how good this movie was. So I downloaded it a few days ago but after watching it for 30 minutes I decided to stop. It was so ****ing boring tbh. :laugh:

Does it get better during the last hour of the movie because seriously, I could understand why this documentary isn't known right now...

For the people who can speak french, here's a link if you're interested. Sorry, I couldn't find it in English on YouTube...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad