Salary Cap: Habs to reach Cap Heaven?

PricePkPatch*

The Habs are projected to have 12,68 M$ in Cap space for season start. If we buy out Kaberle, this increases by 4,25 to 16,93M$. The players that we release will be:

Michael Ryder (UFA, 3,5M$)
Colby Armstrong (UFA, 1M$)
Desharnais (RFA, 875K$)
Ryan White (RFA, 687K$)
Petteri Nokelainen (UFA, 575K$)

Francis Bouillon (UFA, 1,5M$)
Yannick Weber (RFA, 850K$)
Tomas Kaberle (UFA, 4,25M$)

Peter Budaj (UFA, 1,15M$)

As you can see, beside Ryder and Desharnais, everbody released is basic support personnel. Ryder himself is kind of a question mark; nobody know what is management's plan for Desharnais, but let's assume he gets an increase to 3.5M$.

Let's set aside a generous 5M$ for additional support personel (resigning or new base UFA or ELC for Tinordi/Beaulieu/Leblanc if they make it).

This still leaves us with a very, very nice 8.4M$ left in cap space to get us UFAs. That's Richards money.

Do you think we should try to get more solid "good/great" players or break the bank with a very sought-after player like Perry?

OneHandsomeSheep

Jun 24, 2012
The Habs are projected to have 12,68 M$ in Cap space for season start. If we buy out Kaberle, this increases by 4,25 to 16,93M$. The players that we release will be:

Michael Ryder (UFA, 3,5M$)
Colby Armstrong (UFA, 1M$)
Desharnais (RFA, 875K$)
Ryan White (RFA, 687K$)
Petteri Nokelainen (UFA, 575K$)

Francis Bouillon (UFA, 1,5M$)
Yannick Weber (RFA, 850K$)
Tomas Kaberle (UFA, 4,25M$)

Peter Budaj (UFA, 1,15M$)

As you can see, beside Ryder and Desharnais, everbody released is basic support personnel. Ryder himself is kind of a question mark; nobody know what is management's plan for Desharnais, but let's assume he gets an increase to 3.5M$.

Let's set aside a generous 5M$ for additional support personel (resigning or new base UFA or ELC for Tinordi/Beaulieu/Leblanc if they make it).

This still leaves us with a very, very nice 8.4M$ left in cap space to get us UFAs. That's Richards money.

Do you think we should try to get more solid "good/great" players or break the bank with a very sought-after player like Perry?

Way too exhausted to counter this with any evidence, but do you really think DD would command 3.5mil? I have a hard time believing Bergevin would shell out that kind of money for the guy.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
If DD wants more than 2.0 he can walk.

For the 4th line, I want Lapierre and Bordeleau.

For the 1st line, aim for Perry, Semin, or Vanek. If we fail, move on, keep the space, and try again in 2014.

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
I'd give DD 2.5 at most. And that's after a good season. He's doesn't provide defense and is expendable given our Depth of Playmaking Centres. That being said, he is an asset, and could be packaged or re-signed and still contribute positively.

PricePkPatch*

Please do not focus on my 3,5 for DD. That was very conservative (regarding remaining cap space) in the event he proves great in a successful cup run.

How much should we expect to shell out for Perry?

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Please do not focus on my 3,5 for DD. That was very conservative (regarding remaining cap space) in the event he proves great in a successful cup run.

How much should we expect to shell out for Perry?

The amount will have been too high for Anaheim to consider signing him. 8M would be the ball park.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Just curious what people think, but is it wise to be shelling out a ton of money when we have to sign Subban the next season along with a few others?

Anyway, I'd love to have Perry.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
It's interesting for sure, Imagine if Bergevin convinces Perry of his long term plans, he'll play with an improving center in Galchenyuk, another power forward winger in Patches, Gallagher on another wing. Gionta's a UFA after next season he walks we use the money on Eller/ Gally/ Chuckie, Were good to go.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
We'll be fine cap wise actually, Markov in a years time (IF we keep him around) will not command the 5.75 he''s getting now, your looking at 3.75, maybe 4, so that's another 6.75 -7 that you can use on to resign players, assuming we replace gionta with perry

PricePkPatch*

Just curious what people think, but is it wise to be shelling out a ton of money when we have to sign Subban the next season along with a few others?

Anyway, I'd love to have Perry.

Like others said, we'll have Gionta off the books, as well as Markov to resign for lower money, potentially. That will give us the flexibility to give Subban what he's worth.

PricePkPatch*

It's interesting for sure, Imagine if Bergevin convinces Perry of his long term plans, he'll play with an improving center in Galchenyuk, another power forward winger in Patches, Gallagher on another wing. Gionta's a UFA after next season he walks we use the money on Eller/ Gally/ Chuckie, Were good to go.

Bergevin will convince Perry..? I'd put my money on Therrien to pull another Prust.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Corey Perry ($7.500m)
Lars Eller ($1.325m) / David Desharnais ($3.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
P.K. Subban ($2.875m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Morgan Ellis ($0.900m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Dustin Tokarski ($0.650m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,020,833; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $279,167

I'm not really sure what place Desharnais will have in the lineup long term.

Last edited:

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

For the 1st line, aim for Perry, Semin, or Vanek. If we fail, move on, keep the space, and try again in 2014.

Hell no to Lapierre! White and Dumont have way bigger balls than that punk. Perry is THE UFA next summer, but like I wrote in another thread, Habs could look for players that come free agent in 2014, like Pominville.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
With the salary cap going down next season, this projected $8M for Perry might be more than anyone offers. Very few teams will have cap room to enter the bidding war for him, and that includes the usual suspects - the NYR and Flyers.

It looks like this could be the perfect storm for the Habs in landing a real UFA star: Cap space, plus a hot upcoming team.

Halifaxhab*

With the salary cap going down next season, this projected $8M for Perry might be more than anyone offers. Very few teams will have cap room to enter the bidding war for him, and that includes the usual suspects - the NYR and Flyers.

It looks like this could be the perfect storm for the Habs in landing a real UFA star: Cap space, plus a hot upcoming team.

Landing a big star UFA may not be MB's big plan, but he isw defenately making it possible to make any move he wants to basically.

I can also see a summer deal send Gionta out to NJ. I am not sure I would want to, but it seems to me that Bergevin is making space for the young talent we have.

Add in 6 picks in the top 90 now and his devellopment plan seems to be paying off.

HTTP 400

Sep 1, 2007

One of them is Toronto. I doubt Perry chose Montreal over Toronto.

Anyway, I'd aim at assembling 3 good scoring lines and that's pretty much impossible with a 8M forward under a 64M cap.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
One of them is Toronto. I doubt Perry chose Montreal over Toronto.

Anyway, I'd aim at assembling 3 good scoring lines and that's pretty much impossible with a 8M forward under a 64M cap.

Perry grew up a Habs fan so it might help us :naughty:

Also I see the Leafs going after Getzlaf a lot more then going after Perry

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Bergevin gave himself precious cap flexibility when he shipped away Cole (Gainey :thumbu:) and convinced Molson to buy out Gomez. Buying/shipping out Kaberle remains an option and, as mentioned by previous posters, letting Gionta walk in July 2015 will liberate another 5M$... just in time for Subban!

RFA Desharnais *1 and White will be back, UFA Bouillon would be a great #7D at a very fair price and Dumont (4th line) and Tinordi (3rd pairing) will be serious candidates for a NHL spot. We are potentially looking at a very advantageous ratio of “contribution : cap hit” here.

Our Canadiens will be well positioned, especially if they make some noise in the upcoming playoffs, to aggressively go after Perry... if he decides to test the market. That said, I would be a happy fan even if the only moves are Tinordi on the 3rd pairing, Bouillon as the #7D and a (Dumont or Lapierre) swap with Armstrong on 4th.

Long story short: our Canadiens are well positioned indeed.

*1 Desharnais, as a productive secondary scoring centre with a cap friendly contract (4 years; 10-12M$) , would be a very valuable asset. The capacity to rely on 3 well balanced scoring lines + a sound 4th line is an advantage. As a RFA, he is not in a position of force: I expect a cap friendly contract.

Last edited:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
How about Anaheim?

People have to stop assuming these guys will become free agents.

If they can't extend them before the deadline they said they are going to consider trading them rather then losing them for nothing come summer time like the Devils and Wild did last year with Parise and Suter. If you're the GM you mind is made up already IMO, you either offer them a good deal and see if they take it and if they don't it's most probably cause they're going to want to test the UFA market and then you get screwed with nothing to show for it

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

lol @ Lapierre. He's garbage now. I'm a Canucks fan second and my best friend is a Canucks fan first. Bourne from our boards is as well.

Lappy is about as good as Colby Armstrong.

DD will get $2M-$2.5M right now. If he has a solid cup run, he'll get $3M. That's a solid contract, especially if we can find a way to rid ourselves of Brian Gionta.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
It not necessarily ONE big UFA like Perry. It could be 2 good players like a 25 goal winger plus a big stay at home d-man who can play #3-4.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad