Salary Cap: Habs to reach Cap Heaven?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Desharnias will stay and will have 2.5

I would go over 2 years...

I think that's a hard read right now, because a lot will depend on how he finishes the season. He doesn't have a big track record so this year will either prove or disprove he is a 60 point guy.

If DD stays on current pace(slightly above 0.5 PPGM) then 2.5 over 2 years(5 mil) makes sense. If he produces like last year with 26 points in the final 29 games(or close) plus solid playoffs then he would be looking at closer to 3.5-4 mil over 2-3-4 years(maybe 4 years 14-15 mil?).

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Oh, how great it would be to break Don Cherry's heart to grab an Ontario superstar and add him to the Habs. Plus, Perry grew up cheering the Habs. Double-heartbreaker. :naughty:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Habs are projected to have 12,68 M$ in Cap space for season start. If we buy out Kaberle, this increases by 4,25 to 16,93M$. The players that we release will be:

Michael Ryder (UFA, 3,5M$)
Colby Armstrong (UFA, 1M$)
Desharnais (RFA, 875K$)
Ryan White (RFA, 687K$)
Petteri Nokelainen (UFA, 575K$)

Francis Bouillon (UFA, 1,5M$)
Yannick Weber (RFA, 850K$)
Tomas Kaberle (UFA, 4,25M$)

Peter Budaj (UFA, 1,15M$)

As you can see, beside Ryder and Desharnais, everbody released is basic support personnel. Ryder himself is kind of a question mark; nobody know what is management's plan for Desharnais, but let's assume he gets an increase to 3.5M$.

Let's set aside a generous 5M$ for additional support personel (resigning or new base UFA or ELC for Tinordi/Beaulieu/Leblanc if they make it).

This still leaves us with a very, very nice 8.4M$ left in cap space to get us UFAs. That's Richards money.

Do you think we should try to get more solid "good/great" players or break the bank with a very sought-after player like Perry?

White been playing good since he came back, like Eller benching was good for them. He's a low caphit and one of the few we have who can fight. Why not sign him?

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup

FORWARDS
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Corey Perry ($7.500m)
Lars Eller ($1.325m) / David Desharnais ($3.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
P.K. Subban ($2.875m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m)
Morgan Ellis ($0.900m) / Francis Bouillon ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Dustin Tokarski ($0.650m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $64,020,833; BONUSES: $3,257,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $279,167

I'm not really sure what place Desharnais will have in the lineup long term.

I like this idea but I'd go one further or at least try to. I'd try to get the Getlaf - Perry combo and hope they take a little less to stay together. Than I'd trade Gionta and DD to get the additional cash and a shut down defender to add to our corp.

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / Ryan Getzlaf ($6.00m / Corey Perry ($6.00m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m)/ Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) /Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) /Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Ryan White ($0.850m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Morgan Ellis ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,500,000

We'd still have a cushion and enough dough for another top 4 defensive defensman.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
I would go after Perry hard. If not I would invest the riches in Many positions and sign guys like Clowe (4.5 Mill) and Murray (3 Mill)

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
I like this idea but I'd go one further or at least try to. I'd try to get the Getlaf - Perry combo and hope they take a little less to stay together. Than I'd trade Gionta and DD to get the additional cash and a shut down defender to add to our corp.

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Morgan Ellis ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)

We'd still have a cushion and enough dough for another top 4 defensive defensman.
Getzlaf is an elite distributer...not a goal scorer though. Not sure if he's really worth committing 6 million to.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

FORWARDS

DEFENSEMEN
Morgan Ellis ($0.900m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)

you're looking at around 7.5million per, don't think they would accept 6million, word is that Anaheim will sign Getzlaf and let Perry walk, we'll see though

ashtraygirl

Nov 22, 2008
Montreal
I would go after Perry hard. If not I would invest the riches in Many positions and sign guys like Clowe (4.5 Mill) and Murray (3 Mill)

I would be disappointed if the Habs shelled out 4.5 for Clowe. I like the guy and yeah, he's big and tough, but I don't think he's worth it.

Swarez

Mar 10, 2011
How about Anaheim?

People have to stop assuming these guys will become free agents.

Haven't they been trying to sign these guys for a while now?

Also how many all-star, elite level guys go to UFA only to sign with same team? Most do it to go after who pays the most or put themselves in a better situation.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Landing a big star UFA may not be MB's big plan, but he isw defenately making it possible to make any move he wants to basically.

I can also see a summer deal send Gionta out to NJ. I am not sure I would want to, but it seems to me that Bergevin is making space for the young talent we have.

Add in 6 picks in the top 90 now and his devellopment plan seems to be paying off.

That's the big question: What's Bergevin's Master Plan? Safe to say he's looking to add that 'missing piece', which in our case is a big, high-scoring power forward. We already have some potentially great D in the pipeline with Beaulieu and Tinordi, but no stars in the cupboard up front.

It would be great if we could get this star forward through the draft, but despite our nice position in the 2nd round, we'll probably have no picks in the top-20 this year or next, and teams aren't trading their #1 picks anymore. This year's draft will be about getting 2nd and 3rd-line forwards, or a 2nd pairing defenseman for the Habs - if we're lucky.

Which leaves the UFA market as the only avenue where we can secure a star forward, in a year where there are a lot of them on the market. Everything MB has been doing suggests he's clearing room on the books and the on the bench to make a real pitch for a star UFA.

But maybe not an actual 'superstar'. The more I think of it, the more I believe MB may NOT chase a premium UFA like Perry or Getzlaf. I can see him pursuing two less-expensive stars instead of one hugely expensive superstar. Might be easier to add two guys in the $4.5M range of Clarkson, MacArthur or Fillpula, than one guy in the $8M range. Plus it adds more depth in the forward lines.

Apr 28, 2010
if perry ask for 7-8 million.. i think we should just move on. id rather have a player worth 5mill on this team. that extra 2-3mill can be used for a dman or a bottom 6 guy.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
Getzlaf is an elite distributer...not a goal scorer though. Not sure if he's really worth committing 6 million to.

He absolutely is worth that.

Not sure why Ellis is popping up in a few of these lineups. Clearly the guy furthest away from the NHL among the 4 legit D prospects in Hamilton.

Back on the cap topic, we're in a really good spot this summer to do something big and if not this summer, then next summer with Markov and Gionta expiring. The $ to re-sign Subban-Eller-Emelin-Diaz should come from those 2 deals expiring.

We can't go completely nuts though because Galchenyuk has to be re-signed in 2015 (cue the burning year of ELC debate :sarcasm:) and the next wave of expiring deals is in 2016 with Plekanec-Bourque-Moen-Prust.

But maybe not an actual 'superstar'. The more I think of it, the more I believe MB may NOT chase a premium UFA like Perry or Getzlaf. I can see him pursuing two less-expensive stars instead of one hugely expensive superstar. Might be easier to add two guys in the $4.5M range of Clarkson, MacArthur or Fillpula, than one guy in the $8M range. Plus it adds more depth in the forward lines.

No offence, but wow, I just nearly puked my breakfast. I wouldn't even give him 2 M, let alone 4.5 M. Total one-dimensional player.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

He's there because of his chemistry with Perry but also he's a big body Centre that can match up with any NHL team. He's an elite puck distrbutor and an offensive threat. 6'4" 220lbs centre is nothing to sneeze at. I won't mention ROR as I doubt Bergy pays him what he's asking given what we just went through with PK.

Given the cap space we have and players we can deal, we could easily move up from the $6m I said and still fit themin under the cap.

As for the following years, Markov won't get another $5m+ deal and the cap should also rise in the next years following the drop next year. Add the number of rookies we have coming up that are cheap i.e. Tinordi, Beaulieu, Kristo, Collberg, Leblanc etc etc and we should be set for many years even by adding $14m in salaries.

If Tinordi can become that big, shut down defensman I think the Habs lack, all the better.

If we could have Getzlaf, Galchenyuk, Eller, Plex down the middle, I think we're laughing.

Add Perry, Patches, Bourque on the wings and you have some series meat coming at you on the offense zone and still defensively responsible.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
No offence, but wow, I just nearly puked my breakfast. I wouldn't even give him 2 M, let alone 4.5 M. Total one-dimensional player.

No offense taken. Hope you managed to hold down breakfast. MacArthur is young and can put up solid points, but yeah, he may not be the two-way type that works in our system. But the point stands that the Habs need to 'take offense' from the UFA market. Real scoring depth on three lines would be amazing. Either of the Anaheim twins would be great, and this may be the year when it's possible to land one, but it may make more sense to add two strong pieces instead of one massive piece.

Habsfannick

Jul 8, 2012
Montreal, Quebec
lol @ Lapierre. He's garbage now. I'm a Canucks fan second and my best friend is a Canucks fan first. Bourne from our boards is as well.

Lappy is about as good as Colby Armstrong.

DD will get $2M-$2.5M right now. If he has a solid cup run, he'll get $3M. That's a solid contract, especially if we can find a way to rid ourselves of Brian Gionta.

If we rid of Gionta I doubt they spend big money on DD I imagine Ryder will be resigned what kind of salary you guys think he'll get? And add perry

Patches-pleky-perry
Bourque-chuckie-Ryder
Prust-Eller-gally
Dumont-white-moen

That's a sexy forward group maybe a big heavyweight for the 4th to replace dumont

Last edited:

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Haven't they been trying to sign these guys for a while now?

Also how many all-star, elite level guys go to UFA only to sign with same team? Most do it to go after who pays the most or put themselves in a better situation.

Well yes, if they go to the open market, they'll be gone. Point is they could re-sign in Anaheim and not test the market.

There is a drop in the salary cap next year, and under the new CBA, I believe 6years is the longest term and there's a limit between the money being made in year 1 and the final year of a contract. So, no more cap circumvention.
This means less teams will be able to afford those guys. Maybe the teams that will be able to afford them won't be the ones that those guys are interested in.

Then again, maybe they don't care and want out.

I just don't see the point in getting too far ahead. If those guys are available, we will obviously be in the hunt.
Now let's focus on Game 20..

bigtimehockeyfan999*

actually according to capgeek.com if we dump kaberle we'll have $19.4 million in space:amazed::amazed::amazed::amazed:

Hope Of Glory

May 24, 2009
North Shore
You know what even more nice than having close to 9 millions in cap space for next year?Knowing that the year after, we have Gionta's 5M coming off the books and possibly Markov's 5,75M.

Bergevin will two consecutive years to go after big UFAs or trading for big names. With the quality of young guys we have (that will even be better after this year's draft), it looks very promising.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I know it's insane but I'd give Perry 7M. It might be something we live to regret, but let's be honest here, that's the only way we'd be getting him. And he's everything we need on the wing.

Getzlaf I'd be more wary about because of the laziness reputation, yes he's big and yes he's better than what we have (Considering Galchenyuk's age), but Perry should be the priority.

29dryden29

Jul 4, 2010
London Ont
Perry grew up a Habs fan so it might help us :naughty:

Also I see the Leafs going after Getzlaf a lot more then going after Perry

Not to mention he and Prust are pretty good friends from their days in London and still hang out often at home in the summer and skate together all summer.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
Saved Cap Space this year will be wasted cap space next year. We'll eventaually spend it all and find new people to hate on because of their cap. Likely candidates in the next few years: Plekanec, Price, Prust, Moen

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->