Nov 28, 2010
New York
Keep in mind, 2014-2105 we have to resign

Subban - RFA
Eller - RFA

Emelin - UFA
Markov - UFA
Diaz - UFA

Emelin and Diaz are an interesting situation. Tinordi and eventually Beaulieu will kill their leverage, I don't really see Emelin having a future here, Diaz is trickier because he's been so good but for both of them it depends what they want.

With Markov, as much as I love the man, if he returns after his contract ends it will have to be for much cheaper.

Subban is gonna demand big money after this, so we might lose all three. It depends on what the max cap is by then though.

KadoCH

Apr 18, 2004
FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($4.500m) / David Desharnais ($2.750m) / Corey Perry ($8.000m)
Alex Galchenyuk ($3.225m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brendan Gallagher ($0.870m)
Rene Bourque ($3.333m) / Lars Eller ($1.325m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Travis Moen ($1.850m) / Brandon Prust ($2.500m) / Ryan White ($0.800m)
Gabriel Dumont ($0.750m) / Louis Leblanc ($1.170m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Alexei Emelin ($2.000m)
Josh Gorges ($3.900m) / P.K. Subban ($2.875m)
Douglas Murray ($3.000m) / Raphael Diaz ($1.225m)
Jarred Tinordi ($1.083m) /

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($6.500m)
Dustin Tokarski ($0.800m)
OTHER
Buyout: Tomas Kaberle ($0.000m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,720,833; BONUSES: $2,997,500
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,576,667

Like it alot and like Murray, but I think the Habs are fine without him and bring Tinordi or Pateryn in and spend 1m on a vetran #7 D or keep Weber.

Gionta expiring will take care of Subban and Eller raises. Gallagher will fill Gionta's spot and we'll find a 3rd liner in the system or cheap.

2 years time Markov drop in salary should cover Emelin raise and the cap going up should cover Galchenyuk and Gallagher's raises.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
I just dont see why bergevin wouldnt go HARD for perry.. its all falling into place for us cap wise, even paying top dollar for perry, we gain a top dollar player and still have decent cap space

i think its definately worth the shot, give him 7 for 6 years, and hes a hab! the key for me is that hes a winger, let toronto jump all over getzlaf

i could really see montreal being one of the big names in the hunt for perry, and finishing in the top 4 in the conference / maybe win a playoff series or 2 will definately help/be more attractive than finishing 15th/27th.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I just dont see why bergevin wouldnt go HARD for perry.. its all falling into place for us cap wise, even paying top dollar for perry, we gain a top dollar player and still have decent cap space

i think its definately worth the shot, give him 7 for 6 years, and hes a hab! the key for me is that hes a winger, let toronto jump all over getzlaf

i could really see montreal being one of the big names in the hunt for perry, and finishing in the top 4 in the conference / maybe win a playoff series or 2 will definately help/be more attractive than finishing 15th/27th.

It's too bad Anaheim are doing well and I doubt either of them jump ship. Teemu and Saku could most likely be goners. I'd be shocked if they weren't resigned. If we got Perry, I'd lose it.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
Emelin and Diaz are an interesting situation. Tinordi and eventually Beaulieu will kill their leverage, I don't really see Emelin having a future here, Diaz is trickier because he's been so good but for both of them it depends what they want.

With Markov, as much as I love the man, if he returns after his contract ends it will have to be for much cheaper.

Subban is gonna demand big money after this, so we might lose all three. It depends on what the max cap is by then though.

When I read that, I ask myself why nobody talks about signing a true #1 d-man. Habs may lose some key d-men in the near future, and no one seems to be a real #1 d-man, neither for habs' prospect.

When I say a #1, I mean a real game changer/30 minutes player. Subban may come close to that, but I'm not convince yet. He's too "volatile".

Finding a true #1 d-man should be as important as signing a good winger like Perry. Either on the UFA market or by a trade.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
When I read that, I ask myself why nobody talks about signing a true #1 d-man. Habs may lose some key d-men in the near future, and no one seems to be a real #1 d-man, neither for habs' prospect.

When I say a #1, I mean a real game changer/30 minutes player. Subban may come close to that, but I'm not convince yet. He's too "volatile".

Finding a true #1 d-man should be as important as signing a good winger like Perry. Either on the UFA market or by a trade.

True #1s are either expensive as hell or unavailable because they're too precious to trade. Heck, Markov is being paid 5.75 and anyone coming here would use that as a baseline bare minimum. "Well, I've been more productive, so I want this much more money"...

Also, I don't see any true #1 that can bring a complete game on this list: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
True #1s are either expensive as hell or unavailable because they're too precious to trade. Heck, Markov is being paid 5.75 and anyone coming here would use that as a baseline bare minimum. "Well, I've been more productive, so I want this much more money"...

Also, I don't see any true #1 that can bring a complete game on this list: http://www.capgeek.com/free-agents/?year_id=2013&team_id=-1&position_id=D&fa_type_id=2

You're absolutly right, sir. That's why a trade could be a solution, but I know it is not easy to find such player. Maybe Habs will have to accept a big contract. I don't mind paying too much if the guy does the job.

I don't have the solution. Maybe just waiting for the 2014 UFA d-men. But I do think Habs will need a true #1 d-man short term.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
You're absolutly right, sir. That's why a trade could be a solution, but I know it is not easy to find such player. Maybe Habs will have to accept a big contract. I don't mind paying too much if the guy does the job.

I don't have the solution. Maybe just waiting for the 2014 UFA d-men. But I do think Habs will need a true #1 d-man short term.

The larger problem is that most teams won't let such a dman go. A Karlsson, Doughty, Chara, Weber, or Suter are staying right where they are. IF someone is indeed available on the market, it will most likely be because of a question mark like age or a decline in ability/production.

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
I think Perry is actually exactly the type of players that Habs need. He's got size and he can score. Having him + Pacioretty would give us 2 top tier power forward, and you can add Gallagher on a wing and another player (Bourque, maybe Ryder if he plays well this season, Galchenyuk if we keep DD, etc...) and we could have 2 very solid first lines. If somehow we can get rid of Gionta this year too, imagine the difference it would make to our forward group to replace an underperforming small player with a big elite PF.

If we can land Perry for 5 years, I think this would open a window for a cup run if we can just solidify our D a little bit (if Tinordi can adapt to the NHL fairly fast it would be great). I seriously hope that this is what MB is going for, because we're one of the few teams that could go after him hard and still not even be in cap trouble. His Cole trade would prove to be just that much better if we can finally land a UFA star.

Us finishing top 5 in the East (which seems like a real possibility) would make it that much more interesting for him.

Go for it!

KingGallagherXI

Jul 10, 2009
If we can't get Perry, we could try to get Ryan Clowe or even Nathan Horton

Why not? He's better than Komisarek was in his good days IMO, because he has a brain.

Last edited:

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
I cant see Perry not getting a new contract in Anaheim. That would be like us letting Galchenyuk walk at age 27. Not going to happen.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I cant see Perry not getting a new contract in Anaheim. That would be like us letting Galchenyuk walk at age 27. Not going to happen.

It will depend how badly he wants to stay or go. UFA with all the glitz and big $$$ is very attractive.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
It still owns that Ottawa retained Redden over Chara, although not that Chara went to Boston.
Well, I did say "most" and perhaps Chara then wasn't perceived in Ottawa to be as good as he actually was. Not saying that the perception was justified, just that management does let a guy go due to supposed question marks.

It won't happen this season, since there are no UFAs of a caliber similar to a Chara-out-of-Ottawa.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
It will depend how badly he wants to stay or go. UFA with all the glitz and big $$$ is very attractive.

You forgot one thing........He is already in California.......where most players would love to be a multi million dollar player.

Oh and did I mention he has won the Stanley Cup already.

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
LOL Would anyone here have imagined we'd be 1st place and talking about using our immense cap space this summer?

What just happened. Bergevin!

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
LOL Would anyone here have imagined we'd be 1st place and talking about using our immense cap space this summer?

What just happened. Bergevin!

compliance buyout for gomez
compliance buyout for kaberle likely
and 1 trade
hardly epic moves

sticking to his guns on the Subban contract - was good

TheGoalJudge

Feb 12, 2007
compliance buyout for gomez
compliance buyout for kaberle likely
and 1 trade
hardly epic moves

sticking to his guns on the Subban contract - was good

Hiring Therrien.
Hiring a dozen more new support staff.
Changing Culture.
Prust.
Galchenyuk.
Keeping Galchenyuk up with Gallagher.

But trading Cole before he becomes an anchor shows me he has some foresight. For years we've lacked a GM with balls to trade a player like that before his value diminished completely or left in FA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad