Salary Cap: Habs to reach Cap Heaven?

Discussion in 'Montreal Canadiens' started by PricePkPatch*, Feb 27, 2013.

1. cjbhab*

cjbhab* Guest

Perry told me via text message he would only sign in montreal if we give him the max 7 years and minimum 7.95 PER

2. I'd be willing to give him that. The initial cap hit would be tolerable, and it won't be as prohibitive later on as his age will grow since the cap space will have increased.

Plus, wed have a solid fixture.

Btw, max signing period is 6 years.

Edit: I forgot. First, ask him if he is 100% confidant to withstand the Montreal Market as a superstar status

3. Dagistitsyn

Dagistitsyn Registered User

Well that settles everything. Thanks. :sarcasm:

4. Undertakerqc

Undertakerqc Registered User

Not interested in Semin. I would love a Getzlaf, but what team wouldnt.

5. disturbedraven

disturbedraven Lets rock

Home Page:
    As great as it may be to have Perry and/or Getzlaf. I do have concerns about handing out that much salary for that long of period. While some players are able to live up to the challenge of being worth that kind of money, many players seem to struggle long term with consistency with those big contracts. I'd love to have either of them (or both), but I just don't know if I'd wanna give them max contracts.

6. Habssince89

Habssince89 Registered User

Is it time for:

PERRY!!!! :scared::scared::scared:

7. Blind Gardien

Blind Gardien nexus of the crisis

Space Goat
    Sold. Tell him to fax the papers to Bergevin at 12:01 July 1st. :yo:

8. Marc the Habs Fan

Marc the Habs Fan Moderator

I prefer:

Perry:highclap:

:scared: will always be for Hossa. :yo:

And Blind Gardien hit the nail on the head. Great posts.

9. LyricalLyricist

LyricalLyricist Registered User

You'd make an excellent GM. Even as a 3rd line offensive player guys get more.

DD's demands should be conservative and fair but 2 mil is very very conservative. I suspect he may get to 3 mil. It really depends.

10. la25ecoupe

la25ecoupe Registered User

Oiur center line should be:

Galchenyuk
    Plek
    Eller
    White

11. Agnostic

Agnostic 11 Stanley Cups

Correct me if I am wrong but won't Kaberle's accelerated buyout be on the books in 2013/2014 just as Gomez remains on the books in 2012/2013?

12. Blind Gardien

Space Goat
    A lot depends on if he files for arbitration, probably. I doubt the arbitrator factors 5'7" into his decision. That's probably not a valid comparable. If Desharnais gets himself back up to the scoring pace of last season, his arbitration numbers probably look pretty good. $3.5M is the walk away threshold in the new CBA iirc. Which is pretty high. But by the time all that gets sorted out, the Habs will have a clear idea of the rest of their payroll structure, and it might not matter much.

Bergevin should be in no rush to handle the Desharnais file, anyway.

13. Blind Gardien

Space Goat
    No, Gomez is only on the books because they put the acceleration addendum into the agreement at the last minute to keep teams from bubble-wrapping players. After teams already had themselves set for the cap including those players. Kaberle won't be on the cap if we buy him out this summer with our remaining compliance option, there's no "acceleration" in his case.

14. LyricalLyricist

As you pointed out in the thread, if we can get an upgrade at C or Perry on wing, the loss of DD is pretty irrelevant. That being said, saying "If DD asks for 2 mil, he can walk" is a little bit much. It's not a matter of Getzlaf vs DD at that point. It's just a matter of letting a guy walk at 2 mil, that doesn't make sense to me as he'd prob command 2.5 right now easily.

15. Undertakerqc

Undertakerqc Registered User

With Getzlaf, we could solve our big center problem for many years. Having Getzlaf, Galchenyuk, Eller has our top 3 centers, we would have one of the biggest center line in hockey. But getting Getzlaf is a very long shot.

16. SB164

SB164 Registered User

Bervegin may need to borrow George Laraque's fax machine.

17. disturbedraven

disturbedraven Lets rock

Home Page:
    Totally agree

My fear is just the salary and length. Every player handles those big contracts differently. Some live up to them, some become your worst nightmare come true. I just hate that amount of cash for a player, but to get the top quality players you gotta be willing to pay:(

18. Blind Gardien

Space Goat
    If (more likely "when") the Getzlaf dream dies, I have no problem at all with $2.5M for Desharnais. Or even $3M, really. He's a good player, even if his size is not optimal. I'm not sure I'd even exercise walk away at the $3.5M. By the time arbitration cases are handled, we'll be deep into the summer anyway, and already know what our options and payroll are, so whatever the situation, the decision ought to be a no-brainer when it comes around. Either we still have roster and cap room for Desharnais. Or we don't. Most likely we will IMHO. But since he's the only notable RFA, and not necessarily core to our long-term plans, it just makes sense to wait and see how everything is shaping up before dealing with his case, since we can wait.

19. Bronn

Bronn Registered Sellsowrd

When big contracts die , they go to cap heaven.

20. Tim Wallach

Tim Wallach Registered User

Are you sure? I thought we got one compliance buyout this summer (which is Gomez, despite it being accelerated) and one in the summer of 2014. Hence, Kaberle is on the books for next season too unless he is traded.

21. Blind Gardien

Space Goat
    And in the case of Perry and Getzlaf, I'd be a little bit worried about Getzlaf in that respect... he has had some history with "complacency" and some concerns about his overall drive, etc... and not the least bit worried about Perry. If it came down to either/or, Perry is obviously the one to commit the big money to IMHO.

22. LyricalLyricist

I agree 100%. Hoping we can snag a guy like Perry and/or Getzlaf and then we can worry about DD once the dream is either achieved or dead.

23. LePoche69

LePoche69 Registered User

Fair enough. My thought is based on the thinking that Cole is a better player than Ryder. So if I extrapolate, it would mean that the Plan B of resinging Ryder + Desharnais leave the Habs without any upgrade over the year before (this year), so the trade becomes a poker move that turned bad.

That said, I agree with you: not singing any big name doesn't mean Habs lose all their cap space, so the singing of other significant players are not out of question. For example, as a Plan B move, I would be ok with singing an aged Elias for 2 years. Great team player and fits Therrien's system pretty well.

24. Blind Gardien

Space Goat
    Here is the paragraph in the CBA agreement... there is no limit to one player per year, just 2 compliance buyouts total over the next two years. Kaberle wouldn't be on the cap.

During the Ordinary Course “Buy-Out” periods following the 2012/13 season and 2013/14 season, in addition to any other Ordinary Course “Buy-Outs” a Club may elect to effectuate pursuant to Paragraph 13 of the SPC, Clubs may elect to terminate and “buy-out” the already existing SPCs of up to two (2) additional Players (in the aggregate over the two (2) years) on a Compliance basis (a “Compliance Buy-Out”). Such Compliance Buy-Out(s) would be effectuated on the same terms as are set forth in Paragraph 13 of the SPC, except that the amounts paid under such “buy-out(s)” will not be charged against the Club’s Cap in any of the years in which the payments are made to the Player. Amounts paid under such Compliance Buy-Out(s) will, however, be counted against the Players’ Share during any League Year in which the “buy-out” payments are made. A Player that has been bought out under these Compliance Buy-Out provisions shall be prohibited from re-joining the Club that bought him out (via re-signing, Assignment, Waiver claim or otherwise) for the duration of the 2013/14 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2013) and the 2014/15 League Year (if the Player was bought out in 2014).

25. SirClintonPortis

SirClintonPortis ProudCapitalsTraitor

Anything to prevent him from landing in Toronto. We'll pay him extra on the side. ;)