Habs - The Best Team at the Deadline

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
The Briere-Parenteau deal was his biggest mistake of the off season. He'll have to buy out PAP in the off season.

Briere would be scratched right now and we still wouldn't have been able to use his capspace on anything.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
There is also one other difference between the Petry and Vanek trades (and for the record, I had at the time, and still today have, no problem with the Vanek trade). Everyone knew that Vanek was likely going to go to the Wild and would not sign a FA contract before at least speaking to the Wild, his rights were worth 0. I think that the Habs will make an attempt at resigning Petry but if that fails, I think they can get a 4th or 5th for his rights (and more if the team they trade it the rights to actually signs him).

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Couldn't agree less.

As long as the Habs have a contending team, I would trade our 2nd-rounder every year for rentals as high quality as Vanek and Petry. Not only does it help the Habs to a better regular season finish and enhance their playoff chances, it places them in a better position to sign the player going forward.

If you do that every year without it yielding results, you'll end up with a limited pool of prospects.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
1-Got rid of Gorges' contract.
2-Refused to overpay for Gio and let him walk (I'm one to think that who he chose not to keep should be just as important as who he brought in when assessing a GM's job).
3-Got rid of Brière
4-Signed Sekac
5-Signed Gilbert
6-Re-signed Weaver (didn't turn out great but was a no-brainer at the time)
7-Signed Malhotra
8-Re-signed Weise for 2 years
9-Re-signed PK for 8 years.

Those are all good moves.

1- Ya, for a rather cheap return. A 2nd in 2016?..
2- He also did not replace Gionta's production. As crappy as you want to say he was, it's still 18g 40pts on a team that had issues scoring. Not what I consider a good move.
3- He replaced Briere with PAP, who produced about the same in the regular season and not nearly the same in the POs. Oh, and PAP is signed for another year, Briere would have been off the books now. We'd have 4M more to sign Petry.
4- Ya he signed Sekac. That was a good move. Sadly he replaced him for a grinder.
5- Signing Gilbert was good.
6- Re-signing Weaver was barely worthy of mention.
7- Signing Maholtra wasn't a good decision. He was so useless we had to go after guys like Flynn-Mitchell and kept a 19yo rookie over him.
8- Weise was a good move.
9- PK was a no brainer, and he still had to play hardass in negotiations, going as far as arbitration.

So again, if this is what the standard for ''amazing summer'' is, then I just have a different one.

He took simple decisions and fixed some obvious mistakes. That's not what I consider amazing. I was in discussions last summer about whether or not we should bring a top line center, and I was saying no assuming we were going to groom Galchenyuk in that position. Had I known that DD was still going to be used in a very important offensive center position, then I would have had a very different opinion. Bringing a top center, THAT, would have been amazing. Signing PK to 8years at 6M, THAT, would have been amazing.

We wasted a year of Galchenyuk at the wing again. It yielded very little result. Heck, he even struggled at the end of the season and POs. What a waste.
Moving on to next season, I trusted them last year to make the right decision, they didn't. So I absolutely want us to go after a top center.

Takeru

Oct 6, 2014
We aren't even remotely in cap trouble.

10M as of now. Sign Galchy, Beaulieu and a random 4th line center, we're already close to 5M. Then try to resign Petry at (hopefully) that price, and we are in cap trouble. 4M would have allowed us valuable space for moves and signings.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
From the deadline on, including playoffs, we posted a record of 15-12-5. We won just 3 times against playoff-bound teams down the stretch, losing 10, went on a 6-game offensive blackout in the postseason, and laid an egg in the finale.

Petry was a brilliant pickup, and he'd better get re-signed. The rest were throwaway pieces and helped us very, very little, a few decent games from Mitchell in the playoffs notwithstanding.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
From the deadline on, including playoffs, we posted a record of 15-12-5. We won just 3 times against playoff-bound teams down the stretch, losing 10, went on a 6-game offensive blackout in the postseason, and laid an egg in the finale.

Petry was a brilliant pickup, and he'd better get re-signed. The rest were throwaway pieces and helped us very, very little, a few decent games from Mitchell in the playoffs notwithstanding.

What is that song I keep hearing ......

Na na naaah na
Na na naah na
Hey hey
Say goodbye

The mission will be complete once they "fix" PK in the next regular season.

HabsDieHard*

And if Petry walks it's back to back years of dealing 2nd round picks + for rentals.

Bergevin won't sacrifice future pieces for a long term fixture on the team, he'll just use 2nd round picks for rentals!

#Halfmeasures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad