Habs - The Best Team at the Deadline

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site
As of now, is there any team that did better at the trade deadline than the Habs who acquired Mitchell, Flynn, DSP and above all, Petry at a total cost of:

Jiri Sekac
Jack Nevins
2nd rounder
2 x 5th rounder
7th rounder

IMO only Anaheim is close:

Acquired: D James Wisniewski, D Simon Despres, D Korbinian Holzer, F Jiri Sekac, F Michael Sgarbossa, F Tomas Fleischmann, Columbus Blue Jackets' third-round pick in 2015, Colorado Avalanche's conditional seventh-round pick in 2015

Parted with: D Ben Lovejoy, D Eric Brewer, F Rene Bourque, F Devante Smith-Pelly, F William Karlsson, F Dany Heatley, second-round pick in 2015, third-round pick in 2015, fifth-round pick in 2016

The others, well, judge for yourself:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=756205

http://www.nhl.com/ice/eventhome.htm?location=/deadline/2015/experience

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Petry was the key pick-up for me...........we seemed to ruin our chemistry at the time though, with the trade deadline...although the West Coast swing has never been kind....

All of our pickups are making a difference right now in the playoffs, thank goodness DSP picked up a goal last night...

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
DSP had a great game last night, even if we're ignoring the goal he scored. If he can stay that intense on the forecheck, add a little jump to his game, and keep hitting everything that moves, I might end up overlooking the loss of Sekac.

Question is, can he stay motivated enough through an 82 games schedule to keep playing that game.

HabsDieHard*

They still needed to add some forward offensive depth and didn't do so. Mitchell/Flynn/DSP are fine players, but all so far have produced like 4th liners.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
DSP had a great game last night, even if we're ignoring the goal he scored. If he can stay that intense on the forecheck, add a little jump to his game, and keep hitting everything that moves, I might end up overlooking the loss of Sekac.

Question is, can he stay motivated enough through an 82 games schedule to keep playing that game.

He's young and still learning what he is capable of. Once he gets a little older and gains more experience he will have more confidence in himself and he will hopefully play with more consistency. I am curious to see what he develops into though. At worst he'll be a great fourth liner or average third liner, but I hope he develops into a great third liner or average second liner.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
As of now, is there any team that did better at the trade deadline than the Habs who acquired Mitchell, Flynn, DSP and above all, Petry at a total cost of:

Jiri Sekac
Jack Nevins
2nd rounder
2 x 5th rounder
7th rounder

With that 2nd Rounder for Petry, one of those 5ths has now become a 4th. If we somehow get past the Lightning, it becomes a 3rd.

Last edited:

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I'm curious to see what MB does with the added depth this off season. Does he keep Mitchel, Malhotra and Flynn around? Who goes if he can only keep one or two?

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If DSP can put everything together he can be a 20-25 goal scorer. He's got a good shot and speed, can open up a lot of space and isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. At times he's looked disappointing but when he looks good he looks awesome and is the type of player we've lacked for years.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'm curious to see what MB does with the added depth this off season. Does he keep Mitchel, Malhotra and Flynn around? Who goes if he can only keep one or two?

I hope Mitchell comes back, we need a right handed centre and the guy works his ass off.. he can even fill in short term on a third line if needed. Hopefully can sign him for 2 years around $1-1.5 mill a year, teams always need players like him.

I think Flynn is a RFA and will likely be cheap to re-sign so it'd make sense to keep him around.

AnotherHabsFan

Behind Enemy Lines
Jan 16, 2015
New Hampshire
I agree with keeping Mitchel around. He has been our best depth forward so far in these playoffs and he is able to take important face offs. He's 30 years old and could stick around for a couple years no problem. Flynn could be a depth forward next year and play down at Hamilton if we want to tryout some young guns like Hudon.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I like the fact he picked up players that I consider to be non-rentals. DSP, Petry, Mitchell and Flynn are all players that I can see returning to the team. Petry might go via UFA, but he's been a good pick-up.

MB prior to the trade deadline said he didn't want to pony up for rentals and he's done that. Mitchell will be a solid 4th liner for us. Flynn is NHL depth. DSP will play 3rd/4th line next year.

Petry lets hope he's back. Perfect #3 guy for us.

HabsDieHard*

If Petry does leave it's back to back years trading 2nd round picks for rentals.

Not entirely sure that fits in with Bergevins' claim of not wanting to trade futures for rentals.

So that trade gets a question mark for now.

Trading one 2nd round pick for a rental would be okay, but back to back years is questionable at best.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
They still needed to add some forward offensive depth and didn't do so. Mitchell/Flynn/DSP are fine players, but all so far have produced like 4th liners.

Well, Mitchel is 3rd in the team for points.
Flynn is 3rd in the team for points/game

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If Petry does leave it's back to back years trading 2nd round picks for rentals.

Not entirely sure that fits in with Bergevins' claim of not wanting to trade futures for rentals.

Trading one 2nd round pick for a rental would be okay, but back to back years is questionable at best.
When you're a top-performing team you owe it to your roster and fans to try to win.

I have no qualms about consistently trading 2nd round picks if we were leading the league and if it meant we're trying to win.

Bergevin's problem is the same as Gainey: he half-***** it in the off-season.

Scooping Vanek was more than a bit fortuitous but gnabbing Petry was a coup. Both players helped and hopefully we keep Petry going forward - but 6m seems awfully rich.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I agree with keeping Mitchel around. He has been our best depth forward so far in these playoffs and he is able to take important face offs. He's 30 years old and could stick around for a couple years no problem. Flynn could be a depth forward next year and play down at Hamilton if we want to tryout some young guns like Hudon.

DLR should center the 4th line.

Nynja*

We all knew Vanek was leaving after the season though, everyone knew before the trade even happened that Vanek was signing with Minnesota. Theres a chance we can sign Petry, theres beliefs that he MIGHT opt to just sign with his hometown team, but the writing isnt in stone.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

It was a calculated risk in both cases. No way to know how hard he tried to sign Vanek, who was a top player last season.

With Petry, he's likely playing his best hockey ever, and a 2nd plus 3rd or 4th is a very low price to play for a 2, 3 Dman. Bergevin will have first crack at signing him, and I believe he'll be a priority.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'd be okay with going as high as 2 for Mitchell.

Paying 2M for 4th liners is the worst thing you can do. If you have tons of cap room, and it's a guy like Prust who can fight and has intangibles at a time when you are desperate for toughness then ok.. but Mitchell, while I appreciate what he's done so far in the playoffs, 2M for that is only okay if you have the room. And we really don't. We're thinking of letting guys like Gilbert and Emelin go who are infinitely more valuable than Mitchell. To me, you can find an upgrade on Mitchell for 1M, maybe less, if our pro scouting does its job. Without mentionning the option of having a guy like McCarron playing 4th line.

We just don't have the cap room to be paying guys like Mitchell 2M to play on the 3rd/4th line IMO.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
When you're a top-performing team you owe it to your roster and fans to try to win.

I have no qualms about consistently trading 2nd round picks if we were leading the league and if it meant we're trying to win.

Scooping Vanek was more than a bit fortuitous but gnabbing Petry was a coup. Both players helped and hopefully we keep Petry going forward - but 6m seems awfully rich.

I thought Bergevin had an amazing 2014 summer. Although some of it was spent fixing his prior mistakes of not signing Subban to a long term deal when we had leverage, and that awful Briere signing.

HabsDieHard*

6 million for a soon to be 28 year old d-man who is probably one of the top 50 in the NHL seems pretty fair considering recent UFA defenceman contracts as well as the market there this Summer.

I don't dislike the 2nd round picks for rentals necessarily, but it goes against the whole "not trading futures for rentals" approach no matter how one looks at it.

I agree with you though, between being eliminated last year by the Rangers and today the teams' offensive forward depth has taken a big hit.

People excused it because prices were high at the deadline and there weren't any long term fixes available anyways, but he had 9 months to add, and if anything did the opposite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad