News Article: Habs tell on Canes. Take that Dundon! LOL

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
This has got to be a bullshit rumour. Who says the Canes only played four games? Whose the source?

864422ED-67D5-426D-B59A-C00A2627ABE9.jpeg

Oh, never mind…

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Stupid. Classless for the habs to continue with this pettiness, but I expect it of this organization.

A lot of people speculating on cheapness and whatever. But have no idea for the reason why. If anything it would hurt the bottom line as NHL is gate driven and the more games played the more money owners get. Players don't get paid for preseason.

As if the NHL didn't know with or without Habs saying anything (if true) Its BS by the Canes. It's in the agreement. Honor it....simple. They signed up, follow the rules.

But staff at arenas suffer without games financially. Something you omit. And I'm sure much more than an owner does. Ya know the actual working class people.
Bottom line they took money outta common folk workers pockets, denied fans a chance to see a game if they can't afford a reg season game, broke their contractual obligation and saved $ in the process.
Maybe they need the pennies to pay KK?

Reactions: Habs13

Capz

Jul 1, 2019
I got tickets for the game at the bell center. I really cant wait lol

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
How could the league not know? Cmon now.....
Canes should be fined. Any other teams play less than 6 games?

This hurts arena staff as well. How many people didn't get a shift at work ( home or away) because the Canes are cheap? Or people didn't get to go to a game (even if an exxy) because of it. Some people that's all they can afford.
Bush league n selfish by Canes

Devils and Islanders have played one game less since it was cancelled for power outage yesterday and they will not reschedule.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
The article states the only reason the league noticed is because the Habs reported them and that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard as it’s information accessible to billions of people including the league whose responsibility it is to enforce rules.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
As if the NHL didn't know with or without Habs saying anything (if true) Its BS by the Canes. It's in the agreement. Honor it....simple. They signed up, follow the rules.

But staff at arenas suffer without games financially. Something you omit. And I'm sure much more than an owner does. Ya know the actual working class people.
Bottom line they took money outta common folk workers pockets, denied fans a chance to see a game if they can't afford a reg season game, broke their contractual obligation and saved $ in the process.

Perhaps the habs wanted to scope em out and steal a guy of waivers but they didn't play any more games

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
All this story does is point out how incredibly bush league the Canes and NHL are. It’s humiliating that a “major” sports league wouldn’t know how many preseason games one of its teams played or that a team would even not play the minimum number of games or that there’s no consequences for not complying with the CBA. What a joke

Last edited:

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
The worse part is that the league won't do anything to the Canes.

So they played 4 games instead of 6. Big deal.

Reading the article leaves me to believe that Although the CBA states teams have to play 6 pre-season games, I don't think it says or has anything about violating that stipulation.

The only possible advantage the Canes can have in playing less games is less of a chance of early season injury.
Otherwise... big deal!

This 100%

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009

Actually you missed the point. I didn't omit it, I pointed out that even the owner has a vested interest to hold as many games as possible. He wants his staff there to sell concessions it is in both parties interests. Not like staffers are benefiting from 10 dollar beers. They get paid when the owner makes money, usually by having games that sell gear and grub. They didn't save money by having less games. Where are you guys getting this from. Everyone knows the NHL is gate driven. IE more games= more money. Especially when they DON'T pay the players for exhibition games. So where would they be saving $$$. By not having people buying over priced food and bevs?

If owners had there way there would be more games each season, not less.

So either you just want to disagree with me because I am one of the "haters" or you don't understand the economics of the NHL... you know its OK to agree with someone even if you don't share their POV, esp if they happen to be somewhat correct.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
NHL senior vp of communications John Dellapina confirmed Friday the Canes had been one in every of a number of groups granted an exemption on the variety of preseason video games from the league.
“The requirement wasn’t changed. But the pandemic has required us to be agile and flexible in many areas,” Dellapina stated in an electronic mail.
The Predators, New York Islanders, New Jersey Devils and San Jose Sharks every are playing only 5 preseason video games.
“We’re not the only team this year,” Don Waddell, the Canes’ president and normal supervisor, stated Friday in an interview. “Because of COVID, teams cut back on games. We talked to the league months ago about it. We actually couldn’t find enough games.”

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Actually you missed the point. I didn't omit it, I pointed out that even the owner has a vested interest to hold as many games as possible. He wants his staff there to sell concessions it is in both parties interests. Not like staffers are benefiting from 10 dollar beers. They get paid when the owner makes money, usually by having games that sell gear and grub. They didn't save money by having less games. Where are you guys getting this from. Everyone knows the NHL is gate driven. IE more games= more money. Especially when they DON'T pay the players for exhibition games. So where would they be saving $$$. By not having people buying over priced food and bevs?

If owners had there way there would be more games each season, not less.

So either you just want to disagree with me because I am one of the "haters" or you don't understand the economics of the NHL... you know its OK to agree with someone even if you don't share their POV, esp if they happen to be somewhat correct.

I've agreed with "haters" before so I agree it is ok to agree if I don't share their POV on other things.
So it's just a case of they couldn't find a team to play? I don't believe that.
And without knowing how many tics would sell, at what price I can't say the net would be positive to playing a game. Owners can lose money as well. Esp if pre season seats are disounted and a small crowd shows up. So I do get the economics just don't have access to all the info. But it seems you do or you are assuming?
There are potential advantages to not playing as many exhibition games just as there are potential advantages to playing exxys. Carolina decided not play them so......l

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad