Rumor: Habs talking with Simon Gagne (UPD: Habs say no per 98.5)

WakeUpNHL

Mar 9, 2011
Montreal
I like rarely fanboy any player. I really enjoy Lapierre's style and think he's underrated for his role and his performance as a Hab, and I champion his return all the time. And growing up and to this day I've always loved Simon Gagne. Two-way player with a lethal shot who liked to shoot. He doesn't fit on this team though, I know it, but I'm allowed to be a fanboy and WANT him to fit. Especially at the expense of players that clearly don't fit AND I dislike as it is (Desharnais, Briere, Gionta).

However, it is insulting to say that I'm like Erika when she (he?) was a lunatic who twisted everything around to make her crushes look good. I'm no where near that stubborn, if you don't believe me check out overlords' signature.

But of course. Another French player/agent drumming up the Price for their player. Maybe when Gagne's 36 he'll also come to Montreal like that rat Briere.

True that.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
FYI the Habs said no to Gagné and his agent.

http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouvelles/oubliez-gagne-a-montreal-265834.html

I have the sneaking suspicion that Bob Sauvé publicly disclosed the negotiations with the Habs and his client in order to generate public interest in Gagné (a Quebecker) because he knew Habs management was balking at adding Gagné. Unfortunately for Gagné most Habs fans wanted nothing to do with him. I'm glad most fans preferred young prospects to a francophone past his prime.
Pretty obvious. Oh well, we have a rather good team.

It's just something about Bergevin's hockey moves and Therrien's coaching which really gives me doubts. I wasn't even this negative and pessimistic during Jacques and Gauthier but with our current duo I somehow have even less hope.

Desharnais and Briere are just awful contracts and on the coaching end, as much as I enjoyed the run-and-gun offense, the poor defensive play (to put it lightly) was infuriating.

Bob9k

Feb 18, 2013
Quebec
I dont think we have any place here for Simon unfortunatly. Young prospects are pushing hard. Only place we could use is a top 6 winger and I dont believe he is one anymore. I'd rather have a young kid like Galchy or Eller fit in the top 6 and call someone back from Hamilton rather than sign him to a one year deal in case we have injuries. Talking of injuries, I'm not even sure he would be able to play 40 games this year. Would have been nice having him 2-3 years ago tho when we had poor offense, or even last year instead of ryder even tho he scored some for us. But the past is the past, and this year we have a pretty well balanced team. I feel pretty comfortable for once to start the season with this line up:handclap:

durojean

May 29, 2007
I'd honestly think about benching a guy like Desharnais for Gagne.

It would send a good message to the room and

Pacioretty Briere Gagne

Would kick some ass as a line. Anyway there's bound to be an injury at the forward position in the 1st ten game with Briere, Gagne and Gionta in the line up.

I do understand that technically there's no place for but we should make one for him.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal

It would send a good message to the room and

Pacioretty Briere Gagne

Would kick some ass as a line. Anyway there's bound to be an injury at the forward position in the 1st ten game with Briere, Gagne and Gionta in the line up.

I do understand that technically there's no place for but we should make one for him.

What message would it send the room?

"Season hasn't started but one of you is benched. Benchedplayerssaywhat"

Desharnais: What?

"Benched! I hope everyone learnt their lesson today, see ya next year David."

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec

It would send a good message to the room
and

Pacioretty Briere Gagne

What? :laugh:

What message would it send exactly to bench a guy on the first game of his new four year contract? That the team is just as rabidly impatient and incoherant as its fans? Guys like Moen, White, Parros won't mind being benched if its for the good of the team. But you don't bench your top 6 players for no reason, and if you do its not a ''good message'', its a risk of ******* ****storm and distraction.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
French Connection line!!
(all we would need is for Gagne and Briere to deliver in playoffs and it's a success).

Bourque/Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher/Galchenyuk
Gagne - Desharnais - Briere
Pacioretty/Bourque - Eller - Galchenyuk/Gallagher
Prust - White - Moen
Parros (injured)
Gionta (injured)

REALITY:
no space for Gagne...and he could be damaged goods, unless...he still has something left in the tank for the playoffs? (we have L.Leblanc, Thomas, Collberg...too many wingers who are hungry for a roster spot).

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
We are in a rebuild mode, that's why we only signed a vet like Briere for two years. I'd rather we play more young guys this year. For instance, I want to give a real chance to Leblanc rather than go for a geeser like Simon.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
We are in a rebuild mode, that's why we only signed a vet like Briere for two years. I'd rather we play more young guys this year. For instance, I want to give a real chance to Leblanc rather than go for a geeser like Simon.

Simon Gagné Circa 2007? HELL YES!

But this year? After Brière's signing? Nah... Not worth it.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec

Yeah I also think Leblanc needs another chance, especially if he has a good training camp.

Its popular to label him a bust but he really only had just one bad season. He was doing very good before.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Pretty obvious. Oh well, we have a rather good team.

It's just something about Bergevin's hockey moves and Therrien's coaching which really gives me doubts. I wasn't even this negative and pessimistic during Jacques and Gauthier but with our current duo I somehow have even less hope.

Desharnais and Briere are just awful contracts and on the coaching end, as much as I enjoyed the run-and-gun offense, the poor defensive play (to put it lightly) was infuriating.

We might've won the cup had they listened to you, instead we just finished 2nd in the East... :shakehead

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
Dumb if so... There's not much difference from what Gainey and Co. were doing. Packing old and finish vets and barely giving any ice time to people they drafted

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
The Habs pass on Gagne. Good. Fans have to get past their fantasies that declining players will magically reinvent themselves when they come here. This was the pattern that plagued our roster and budget for years.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
The Habs pass on Gagne. Good. Fans have to get past their fantasies that declining players will magically reinvent themselves when they come here. This was the pattern that plagued our roster and budget for years.

And Briere and Bouillon are what exactly?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I sincerely doubt the Habs were ever truly interested. This was nothing more than Gagne trying to find work.

durojean

May 29, 2007
What message would it send the room?

"Season hasn't started but one of you is benched. Benchedplayerssaywhat"

Desharnais: What?

"Benched! I hope everyone learnt their lesson today, see ya next year David."

More like nobody is safe in the line up so you better move you a...

durojean

May 29, 2007

It's fun to see how 33 year old Gagne can't bounce back but 31 year old Gorges can't be in decline and is just in his prime and his value can't go down in a 2 year span.

I'd say this : Gagne is 3 time the game changer that Gorges is even right now.

MonkeyBusiness

Mar 3, 2013
It's fun to see how 33 year old Gagne can't bounce back but 31 year old Gorges can't be in decline and is just in his prime and his value can't go down in a 2 year span.

I'd say this : Gagne is 3 time the game changer that Gorges is even right now.

Gorges is 29, he wasn't good last year but I'd still take him over Gagne at this point in their career. Just hoping Gorges can bounce back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad