Speculation: Habs summer of changes

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Everybody agrees it will be a big summer for Montréal organization. Everybody hopes it will be a complete rebuild but i don't think it will be the case with Bergevin as the GM.

Nobody really knows what will happen but MB has the tools to make a big splash. Although, one situation that almost everydody believe will happen is Pacioretty getting traded. I am not so sure about that. What i believe is he will trade Pacioretty OR Galchenyuk, depending who gets him the best return (probably best 1st round pick).

So here is what i think summer could look like for Habs. I know most of Habs fans will see red but remember i'm doing with the premiss Bergevin won't go for a rebuild, not what i hope will happen.

1-Habs 3rd overall pick for Ryan O'Reilly
2-Galchenyuk for Edmonton's 10 overall (draft Kotkaniemi or Veleno)
3-Sign Calvin DeHann to a 5 years, 4M$ per contract
4-Sign Paul Statsny to a 4 years, 6,5M$ per contract
5-Sign Danault to a 5 years, 3,0M$ per contract
6-Trade Benn for a conditionnal pick

Drouin-O'Reilly-Gallagher
Pacioretty-Stastny-Scherbak
Byron-Danault-Lehkonen
Hudon-DLR-Shaw/Deslauriers

Mete-Weber
DeHaan-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Schlemko-Reilly

Price
Niemi

Cap hit of 77,7M$ total.

EDMOILERS9729

Dec 25, 2017
No way we trade 10th for Chucky. Take a hike lol. WE NEED A PPQB RD MORE THAN WINGERS. Idk if people don't understand english but thats what it is. I fail to understand why people don't get that.

Reactions: ivanlwan

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Everything is honestly fine value wise except 2. Don't know why everyone in MTL is still stuck in last year and thinks Nuge is available or that Galchenyuk/Paches gets 10th OA. Stop habs fans please.
No one but Oiler fans wants “Nuge”. He isn’t even mentioned in the OP. Over rated and over paid. He’s all yours,to keep, forever.
As for the rest, Chucky alone is worth the 10OA. Patches is an overpayment for that pick.
Maybe you Oil fans should stop over valuing your players.
Might have been high picks once upon a time, but honestly, what have they accomplished since then?

Personally, if I’m GM in Montreal and I’m looking to change things up, get back into the playoffs, and trying to save my job at the same time, I’d also try to fill the biggest need the team has and swing for the fences.
3OA+Pacioretty+Galchenyuk for 10OA+Draisaitl+Klefbom or Nurse

Then you sign JVR off UFA to fill the LW slot opened up from Pacioretty trade and sign Statsny off UFA to fill the 2C position

Last edited:
Reactions: GHJimmy

mrinsane

Dec 8, 2005
Stastny at 6.5 hell no.. try to trade Alzner and after sign DeHaan to a contrat.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Everybody agrees it will be a big summer for Montréal organization. Everybody hopes it will be a complete rebuild but i don't think it will be the case with Bergevin as the GM.

Nobody really knows what will happen but MB has the tools to make a big splash. Although, one situation that almost everydody believe will happen is Pacioretty getting traded. I am not so sure about that. What i believe is he will trade Pacioretty OR Galchenyuk, depending who gets him the best return (probably best 1st round pick).

So here is what i think summer could look like for Habs. I know most of Habs fans will see red but remember i'm doing with the premiss Bergevin won't go for a rebuild, not what i hope will happen.

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Mete-Weber
DeHaan-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Schlemko-Reilly

Price
Niemi

Cap hit of 77,7M$ total.

So Montreal fully embraces the win now mode, but they are still not good enough to win now?

Reactions: Gargyn

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Mete-Weber
DeHaan-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Schlemko-Reilly

Price
Niemi

Cap hit of 77,7M$ total.
Why would Edmonton do that?

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017
No one but Oiler fans wants “Nuge”. He isn’t even mentioned in the OP. Over rated and over paid. He’s all yours,to keep, forever.
As for the rest, Chucky alone is worth the 10OA. Patches is an overpayment for that pick.
Might have been high picks once upon a time, but honestly, what have they accomplished since then?

Personally, if I’m GM in Montreal and I’m looking to change things up, get back into the playoffs, and trying to save my job at the same time, I’d also try to fill the biggest need the team has and swing for the fences.
Lol. Take out Drai and Oilers still don't do it. We don't want Pacioretty or Galchenyuk end of story. RNH would also be your best forward.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Everything is honestly fine value wise except 2. Don't know why everyone in MTL is still stuck in last year and thinks Nuge is available or that Galchenyuk/Paches gets 10th OA. Stop habs fans please.

he didnt even bring up nuge

Reactions: Deam78

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Lol. Take out Drai and Oilers still don't do it. We don't want Pacioretty or Galchenyuk end of story. RNH would also be your best forward.
What ever gets you through golf season,I guess.

Personally, I could care less what either team does one way or the other.
But it would be interesting to see what kind of cluster-*&$# deal Bargain-Bin Bergevin and Chiapet Chirelli could come up with.
Definitely a lose lose situation in the making. Lol

BatVader

May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Not sure what that is supposed to mean but ok.
It means your team sucks ass, and will continue to suck ass as long as it continues to do the same stupid things it’s always done.
If they’re not willing to make the changes needed to change the culture and mentality of the team, you and the rest of Oiler fans will be watching golf instead of playoff hockey every year.
But hey, what do I know.
I’m just an HF board wanna be GM

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Stastny at 6.5 hell no.. try to trade Alzner and after sign DeHaan to a contrat.

tough sell. bottom pairing dman with 4.625 x 4 left?
I think the habs would have to eat an equally bad contract

olli

Unregistered User
Dec 2, 2016
cÃnÃdÃ
They're still not a playoff team unless Price returns to his old self. It's a better idea to blow it all up.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Byron-Danault-Lehkonen

Mete-Weber
DeHaan-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
Schlemko-Reilly

Price
Niemi

Cap hit of 77,7M$ total.

even if you do all that, that team may still not make the playoffs. That is how far behind the Canadiens are.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
This thread is wrought with hilarity.

From the OP stating O’Reilly is worth the 3 OA and Gally being worth the 10 OA to some guy carrying on about “Nuge” when he’s not mentioned in the OP to the first guy calling him out Oil fans hugely overvalue their players and then makes a ridiculous deal overvaluing people to finally all the mudslinging going on.

This is a popcorn grabber.

PetterssonSimp

Dec 12, 2008
The one and only real move the Habs should be doing is firing Barginbin. That guy is possible the worst GM in the league. That’s where you start, a fresh look and maybe less stupidity at the helm will create a better working environment for everyone

Reactions: TheJagr68

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
tough sell. bottom pairing dman with 4.625 x 4 left?
I think the habs would have to eat an equally bad contract

if Dehaan was willing to sign a 4M dollar deal hed be signed already. he's been asking for over 5 from the islanders, so they have been waiting for him to get serious

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
This thread is wrought with hilarity.

From the OP stating O’Reilly is worth the 3 OA and Gally being worth the 10 OA to some guy carrying on about “Nuge” when he’s not mentioned in the OP to the first guy calling him out Oil fans hugely overvalue their players and then makes a ridiculous deal overvaluing people to finally all the mudslinging going on.

This is a popcorn grabber.
Sabres fans are asking for 3OA+Mete for ROR.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
The Isles love the player but not what he's asking, Bailey one of our top forwards (71 points and would have led the habs was a free agent too and he took 5M so they think Dehaan wanting over 5 was kinda high. no way he's moving for less than he wants here

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Doubt Oilers have any interest in Galchenyuk with his salary, contract status, and sub-20G production in the last two years. As a Habs fan said "Might have been high picks once upon a time, but honestly, what have they accomplished since then?"

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Then you sign JVR off UFA to fill the LW slot opened up from Pacioretty trade and sign Statsny off UFA to fill the 2C position

... I wouldn’t deal just Draisaitl for your package. You don’t big, two way, complete 1C’s like him for rentals, downgrades, and maybes. I don’t know how the hell you think you’re getting 10th and Klefbom/Nurse as well.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
No to 10th for Galchenyuk too. I don’t think we can afford him after we sign our RFA’s for one and for two I’d rather have the cost controlled asset. Frankly we need the ELC, not the 50 point winger that can’t find consistency.

Guys with NHL upside like Bear (2 years remaining on ELC) Marody (3) Benson (3) Jones (2) and Yamamoto (3), and the likes of Maksimov/Samorukov/Skinner/Safin are going to be very valuable for us going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad