Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Trevor Timmins to a contract extension

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
And all I'm saying is I don't see where your concern comes from if not from comparison to other organizations' developmental levels, which could be presented in the very type of "ranking" that you "don't care about".

because ranking them compared to other teams is a waste of time.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I wouldn't put too much stock into THN personally, here's a list of their past rankings,

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=651684&highlight=

Really wasn't much in that system. Timmins missed on lot of first round picks lately. Plus, McCarron, Schebak, aren't living up to hype they had when drafted. DLR doesn't have any offense, Fucale gets knocked a bit on here, Lehkonenlooks good. But he is about only prospect we have living up to expectations

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Really wasn't much in that system. Timmins missed on lot of first round picks lately. Plus, McCarron, Schebak, aren't living up to hype they had when drafted. DLR doesn't have any offense, Fucale gets knocked a bit on here, Lehkonenlooks good. But he is about only prospect we have living up to expectations

How is Mac not living up to expectations? Way to conveniently leave out Hudon out of that list.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
How is Mac not living up to expectations? Way to conveniently leave out Hudon out of that list.

Well....where do you put Hudon? You can't put him anywhere, we have no idea how they see him and we have no idea how he'll fair in the NHL.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

The main misses in the 1st round have been Fischer and Leblanc with development playing a big part in Leblanc's struggles imo. Tinordi I give the scouts some room since it's hard to fault them on how quickly the NHL has changed into a speed and puck moving game. At the time of the draft, most teams still put high value on size. Beaulieu it remains to be seen just what he will be but it's likely he's going to at worst be a full time NHLer over the next several years. Chipchura was a bust for us but they should have held onto him longer as he actually might have been a decent 4th liner for us. The rest we'll see how it goes.

Don't agree at all that McCarron isn't living up to the hype as he had an outstanding start to the year. Scherbak shouldn't even be counted as he was very good in juniors but then got injured at the end and it impacted his off-season since it was a major knee injury and then he got injured twice more in his rookie year. Overall he showed a lot of good things, now we'll see what he does over the next few years. DLR if they left him in the AHL for a full year who knows how much his offensive game could progress, not Timmins fault and we'll see how it goes since he's just 21. Fucale I don't know what to make of just yet, he did better then I thought he would and he was certainly better then his numbers reflect but he still needs a lot of work.

There is more to the system then you give credit.

Then how do you rationalize that there's "clearly a concern with the developmental system"? How are you judging the "results"?

with my eyes. I watch almost every AHL game and I look at the lack of progress in the top prospects weaknesses and it's concerning to me. When you have top 22 picks and they are repeating the same mistakes year over year, to me that's a clear issue with development. Add to that each was called up to the NHL as a 20 year old with only 1 really playing great at the time.

Looking at other teams is pointless to me, I have never looked at other teams prospects in all the years I've been following prospects going back to the '90's. For one reason, teams are in various stages. Some are more concerned with contending, some rebuilding, some retooling. Others that have drafted well can have a really good looking U-25 system but with several players graduated, they won't look good to media outlets that consider them graduated. At the end of the day I don't care about any other team in the NHL, what they are doing, what their farm system looks like or how good they are overall.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Is Timmins still in charge of the draft?

I mean, I know, there's always been Churla in there in some kind of Chief Head scout....but now....look at the Habs page, and the title for Timmins says "Director of Player personnel" while Churla has the "Director of Amateur Scouting".

Though when you click on Timmins picture, Inside, it still mentions Director of player personnel AND director of amateur scouting.

So which is it? You can't have 2 "directors of amateur scouting".....

http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=52816

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I doubt it's the case, I think this type of info would have leaked somehow. Plus I'm sure Grant would have chimed us in. Good find either way.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
I'm pretty sure that even last year, Churla only had the Chief Amateur Scout title.....somehow, could this have been changed while not mentioning it for some reasons?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
I think Timmins did a good job overall but i would actually like to see someone else replace him.

One could have easily done better IMO.

E82

Feb 3, 2015
Lol do some really believe drafting has been an issue. I mean we had and have a very good set of core players but when we talk developing and managing of players I see that stopping us from reaching the cup.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I'd be shocked if he wasn't, he's still the one making the main post draft interview talking about all the picks right?

He was still scouting all year so I doubt he's just director of player personnel.

Position: VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL AND DIRECTOR
OF AMATEUR SCOUTING

Promoted to vice president of player personnel and director of amateur scouting in July 2014, Trevor Timmins is entering his 14th season with the Montreal Canadiens. He oversees the Canadiens’ amateur scouting system, including the annual NHL Entry Draft and amateur free-agent recruitment. Trevor also supervises the Club’s amateur scouting staff, comprised of 14 amateur scouts covering Canada, the United States and Europe.

Trevor also oversees the annual NHL combine, as well as the Canadiens’ own combine, a pre-draft player evaluation process which takes place at the Bell Sports Complex in Brossard every summer.

Timmins is in his 23rd season in the NHL. He worked with the Ottawa Senators from 1992 through the 2001-02 season. From 1999 to 2002, he was the team’s director of hockey operations. He was responsible for the scouting department, the minor league affiliate, budgeting, and the daily operation of the hockey department.

He has also held the positions of scouting coordinator, strength and conditioning coach and director of team services with the Senators. Timmins is a graduate of Queen’s University in Physical Education. He also completed a Master of Business Administration (Queen’s) and earned a Master’s degree in Sports Administration at the University of Ottawa. He was born on January 5, 1968, in Almonte, Ontario.

I wouldnt worry until his bio changes.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Which is higher director of player personell or director of amateur scout?

Maybe Timmins was stealth promoted?

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Which is higher director of player personell or director of amateur scout?

Maybe Timmins was stealth promoted?
He used to only be the Director of Amateur Scouting for a long time. He was promoted in the Summer of 2014 to both title.

The Director of Amateur Scouting title was removed from him at one point between June 17 2016 and today.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
He used to only be the Director of Amateur Scouting for a long time. He was promoted in the Summer of 2014 to both title.

The Director of Amateur Scouting title was removed from him at one point between June 17 2016 and today.

He must have disapproved the Subban trade.. Time line fits!

:sarcasm:

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
He,s certainly still in charge and they only wanted to give a "director" title to Churla. 'Cause it makes no sense to go from Timmins-Jay-Churla to...Churla alone.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
I'd be shocked if he wasn't, he's still the one making the main post draft interview talking about all the picks right?

He was still scouting all year so I doubt he's just director of player personnel.

I wouldnt worry until his bio changes.

So Timmins has been director of hockey operations for three years in Ottawa. For those who wondered if he had managerial experience. Seems like he had more experience than when Bergevin got hired. Director of hockey operations oversees the GM, right? Seems like the same title as VP HO.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00