Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Trevor Timmins to a contract extension

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Fine....if the duration is not too high à la Bergevin. Unless you are absolutely positive that you can get better, you keep the guy. I have no confidence in Bergevin to find a better guy, so might as well keep him.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Glad to hear. He's a solid asset. Good offseason so far in terms of non-player personnel, acquiring Kirk Muller and extending Trevor Timmins.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I'm indifferent toward him. I think the organization needs some accountability for recent failures, but I wouldn't pin it on Timmins.

More of the same - is that good? We'll see.

Hank Scorpio

Mar 7, 2010
Glad to hear it but this does nothing to help the player development problem. Don't get me wrong, he's a great asset and I'm glad he's staying but until they fix the farm (which I'm not sure would happen) it's kind of redundant.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Timmins is a solid asset. He's done very good work over his time. Had management kept around his work from the 2007 draft, he would be a legend here.... and that is not to say that 2007 was his only good work.

The only possible criticism is that hes been around a long time in this organization, and that might lead to some complacency or staleness, but I certainly can't argue with his overall body of work.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
He's had some great picks in the first round but too many duds. Other than Subban, the second round has been just meh. Overall, he's been fine and finds NHLers no matter which round but no true real good offensive players in the first two rounds outside the obvious galchenyuk pick and MaxPac. So no problem with the extension but really wish that over the last 7 years he could have drafted one more top 6 other than galchenyuk.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
He's had some great picks in the first round but too many duds. Other than Subban, the second round has been just meh. Overall, he's been fine and finds NHLers no matter which round but no true real good offensive players in the first two rounds outside the obvious galchenyuk pick and MaxPac. So no problem with the extension but really wish that over the last 7 years he could have drafted one more top 6 other than galchenyuk.

Agreed with the premise of your post but there is lots of time for Scherbak and McCarron to continue developing and potentially become top 6 players. Scherbak is 19 and McCarron should be on the Habs for a good chunk of the year. Let's see if they can do it! I actually have high hopes for Hudon as well but he was obviously not a 1st

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Agreed with the premise of your post but there is lots of time for Scherbak and McCarron to continue developing and potentially become top 6 players. Scherbak is 19 and McCarron should be on the Habs for a good chunk of the year. Let's see if they can do it! I actually have high hopes for Hudon as well but he was obviously not a 1st

We can certainly hope. I won't call anyone a bust until they are out of the system or playing a fourth line role. I don't give that much credit for players like Gallagher and Hudon because frankly they were taken in the fifth round. While they were excellent picks and we should laud him for tje suggestion, the credit is tempered because there is a certain amount of luck involved and one could argue that he passed over them four times.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Count me in the very happy category. I've lived through enough dismal drafting years in the nineties to appreciate a guy that can do a decent job at it.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Since Subban there have been 9 drafts, the Habs have had a 2nd round pick in 3 of those drafts ('08 Kristo, '12 Collberg/Thrower, '13 DLR/Fucale/Lehkonen) of those picks only 3 were selected in the top 50 (Collberg, DLR, Fucale) Collberg is looking like a big bust, DLR looks like a lock to be a solid defensive forward in the NHL. Fucale it's hard to say what he will be.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
Since Subban there have been 9 drafts, the Habs have had a 2nd round pick in 3 of those drafts ('08 Kristo, '12 Collberg/Thrower, '13 DLR/Fucale/Lehkonen) of those picks only 3 were selected in the top 50 (Collberg, DLR, Fucale) Collberg is looking like a big bust, DLR looks like a lock to be a solid defensive forward in the NHL. Fucale it's hard to say what he will be.

So of the six 2nd rounders, so far only one defensive forward. Also, even if JDLR turns out to be a solid defensive forward, I'm not terribly disappointed but I don't think it is any great shakes to find a defensive forward later on. 2nd round to me is those risky first round picks that have boom or bust. If any of those 2nd rounders had been boom, if just one would be a top 6, it would have made up for busts. Picking a safe defensive forward in the first two rounds does not cut it for me.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
I don't know about this. Would hate to lose Timmins, but he has been pretty underwhelming since 2007.

Also his 1st round picks have not been all that good. He took Price, Max, McD, and AG but outside of that nothing really impressive. Maybe Beau can be added to that list but he is still a maybe.

His picks under MB need to start making an impact soon. Remove AG and the past 6 years leave a lot to be desired. And lets not bring in how many picks he had or that the habs are picking late. Habs will never be a tanking team and we need a Head Scout who will find us steals year in and year out. Habs aren't going to be brining in big time UFA's and the team won't ever tank for more than 1 year.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So of the six 2nd rounders, so far only one defensive forward. Also, even if JDLR turns out to be a solid defensive forward, I'm not terribly disappointed but I don't think it is any great shakes to find a defensive forward later on. 2nd round to me is those risky first round picks that have boom or bust. If any of those 2nd rounders had been boom, if just one would be a top 6, it would have made up for busts. Picking a safe defensive forward in the first two rounds does not cut it for me.

He's only had 3 draft classes in 9 years to have a 2nd round pick. If you keep taking away his chances of picking in the 2nd round, it's that much harder to hit on them. They took risky boom or bust types in Kristo, Collberg, and Lehkonen. So far it's not looking pretty despite Kristo being a top scorer in the NCAA, Collberg at the WJC's and Lehkonen might turn into something good.

Frankly I don't see what it matters what round a player is drafted. If you get an NHLer count yourself lucky.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He's definitely overrated because his record is not as good as advertised, but I don't mind that because I have 0 trust in Bergevin's judgement for a possible replacement.

I think he is overrated. But still quite good. Yes, we do haev to take into consideration the picks he didn't have to in that analysis. But 2012 and 2013 were key drafts for him and a chance to kinda repeat what he did in 2007. And so far we have Galchy. And waiting to see how 2013 unfold. So far, 2013 as an entirety as been underwhelming to say the least. But could change as soon as this upcoming year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad