Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Prospect Danny Kristo 2 year deal: Will Report to Hamilton

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Not really the same type of player.

Center vs RW

2 way player vs high end skill player

average speed vs above average speed/quickness

I don't remember Maxwell playing a 2-way game, wasn't he more of a high end skilled playmaker as well?

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Anybody with the mental fortitude to live in North Dakota has to be special. Looking forward to watch him with the Habs. Will they give him a couple of games before the season is over?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
He has developed very nicely, has become stronger, maintained his exceptional speed. The UND program prepared him for pro hockey. It will be fun to see where he ends up. I live in Cedar Park, Texas the home of the Texas Stars and plan on going to the game Saturday. Should be fun to watch the youth.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
great 2nd round pick. feels like forever since I've watched him in the world juniors, but his game has really matured and should be an effective player for us.

I really respect that he wanted to finish out his college career, that shows me he cares about the bigger picture and, therefore, probably an intelligent guy on and off the ice.

I don't want to hear about his drinking/partying, we've all been there, done that, but he appears to have grown up and is at the end of his final goal, the nhl.

kristo, welcome to the pros, hope you're here for a long, long time.

Hemlor

Jan 27, 2007
He has developed very nicely, has become stronger, maintained his exceptional speed. The UND program prepared him for pro hockey. It will be fun to see where he ends up. I live in Cedar Park, Texas the home of the Texas Stars and plan on going to the game Saturday. Should be fun to watch the youth.

If you go would you mind posting up a quick summary of what you saw? I haven't watched any of his college games, but plan on trying to catch some Bulldogs games (while they last).

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Anybody with the mental fortitude to live in North Dakota has to be special. Looking forward to watch him with the Habs. Will they give him a couple of games before the season is over?

Bergevin, when asked that said it's up to Kristo. If he plays well and there's a spot, they might call him up to see where he's at like they've done with the defensive prospects before is my guess.

Otherwise, he's an intriguing prospect. Probably should have turned pro last year. The closest comparison I've heard that makes sense is TJ Oshie, who he models his game after. If he can do that, I'd be VERY happy. In any case, good little prospect on our hands.

as15

Sep 21, 2012
Bergevin, when asked that said it's up to Kristo. If he plays well and there's a spot, they might call him up to see where he's at like they've done with the defensive prospects before is my guess.

Otherwise, he's an intriguing prospect. Probably should have turned pro last year. The closest comparison I've heard that makes sense is TJ Oshie, who he models his game after. If he can do that, I'd be VERY happy. In any case, good little prospect on our hands.

TJ Oshie and Kristo are not comparable at all. Oshie is more physical, and has slightly better hockey sense. Oshie is probably better defensively too. Kristo is substantially faster and more agile, a better shot, and quicker hands, but probably not softer.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Kristo is the real deal, he's a little too short to be a power forward but 5'11 is enough to cause some damage in the end zone, something lacking in our forwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 25-30G next season. He's been dominant in the NCAA and he'll even have time to get AHL experience and maybe a little NHL experience, then he just has to remain busy in the summer and train with some professionals out here and he'll be ready for the big league next year. Gotta love what Timmins is doing out there.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Kristo is the real deal, he's a little too short to be a power forward but 5'11 is enough to cause some damage in the end zone, something lacking in our forwards. I wouldn't be surprised to see him get 25-30G next season. He's been dominant in the NCAA and he'll even have time to get AHL experience and maybe a little NHL experience, then he just has to remain busy in the summer and train with some professionals out here and he'll be ready for the big league next year. Gotta love what Timmins is doing out there.

I would. It took until 22 to be an over PPG player in the NCAA, something Pacioretty did at 20. And Pacioretty struggled plenty to adjust after that.

You know how rare it is for rookies to score 30 goals?

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I would be happy if he got 10-15.

Same.

Honestly, I don't see Kristo as more than a 20-25 goal guy at his peak. That's not a bad thing, in fact a bonafide 2nd liner is great. Feel free to mock me if he's more than that, but I will be shocked if he is.

LeMAD

Mar 1, 2006
Montreal
lemad.freehostia.com
How would he look 5 on 5 at the NHL level? Is he strong enough physically and reliable enough defensively to be a valuable player even if he's not good enough to score 45+ pts per year?

His points total aren't too impressive in college, but he clearly has the hands and speed to play in the big leagues.

macavoy

May 27, 2009
Houston, Tx
I'm curious what UFA NCAA prospects have made the jump directly to the NHL in the past?

Edit: what past NHL players have played 4 full years in the NCAA?

Last edited:

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
How would he look 5 on 5 at the NHL level? Is he strong enough physically and reliable enough defensively to be a valuable player even if he's not good enough to score 45+ pts per year?

His points total aren't too impressive in college, but he clearly has the hands and speed to play in the big leagues.

You have some pretty high standards. Two days ago he had the highest career point total of anyone in college hockey. Tied 2nd in the nation for points this year, one behind the leader. UND also has one of the hardest schedules year in and year out, so it makes what he did even more impressive.

He isn't a liability defensively. He has improved his defense vastly the last couple of years and I expect him to keep improving. He's a threat every time he touches the puck. It's been said a bunch of times that he has great hands and speed. The amazing part to me is his ability to use his hands at top speed. The way he can make a move at top speed mid stride is unreal. I compare him to Nazem Kadri except better defensively and not afraid to go anywhere on the ice. Nazem has blown up this year offensively, but I expect him to come back to earth. Kristo may have that same potential, but who knows. I expect him to make an impact on the Habs as soon as he gets his shot. He makes everyone around him better.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Same.

Honestly, I don't see Kristo as more than a 20-25 goal guy at his peak. That's not a bad thing, in fact a bonafide 2nd liner is great. Feel free to mock me if he's more than that, but I will be shocked if he is.

If Kristo is a 50-60 point winger.. that's a damn good 2nd rounder.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Give this kid a home and he will destroy for his club. Passion. He could have played the money long ago but CHOSE to stay at UND. If we piss this kid away like Leblanc, it would be noted by every UFA/Draft pick on the planet. Embrace the kid, teach, and enjoy. He and Chucky need to meet IMO. :handclap:

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal
The Desjardins NHL equivalency for this Kristo season is 21 goals in 82 games, basically D'Agostini's best season in the NHL. If Kristo could bring that kind of secondary scoring, and some speed on the forecheck, that would be a fantastic success. I guess we'll see soon how his game translates to the pros.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad