Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Prospect Danny Kristo 2 year deal: Will Report to Hamilton

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Give this kid a home and he will destroy for his club. Passion. He could have played the money long ago but CHOSE to stay at UND. If we piss this kid away like Leblanc, it would be noted by every UFA/Draft pick on the planet. Embrace the kid, teach, and enjoy. He and Chucky need to meet IMO. :handclap:

Nobody pissed away Leblanc. Leblanc was over-hyped and should not have gone earlier than late first round. He was lucky the draft was in Montreal.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
You have some pretty high standards. Two days ago he had the highest career point total of anyone in college hockey. Tied 2nd in the nation for points this year, one behind the leader. UND also has one of the hardest schedules year in and year out, so it makes what he did even more impressive.

He isn't a liability defensively. He has improved his defense vastly the last couple of years and I expect him to keep improving. He's a threat every time he touches the puck. It's been said a bunch of times that he has great hands and speed. The amazing part to me is his ability to use his hands at top speed. The way he can make a move at top speed mid stride is unreal. I compare him to Nazem Kadri except better defensively and not afraid to go anywhere on the ice. Nazem has blown up this year offensively, but I expect him to come back to earth. Kristo may have that same potential, but who knows. I expect him to make an impact on the Habs as soon as he gets his shot. He makes everyone around him better.

I am surely one of Kristo's biggest fan. What he did in College is just great. But we have to be careful with those stats. Most prospects with his kind of talent will rarely play their whole 4 years giving him the possibility to rack those stats compared to others who didn't stay that long.

As far as your total analysis of the guy, I say it's dead on. Not only he will be good 5 on 5, great powerplay guy for sure, not a liability defensively though sometimes, he does have a tendancy to not be as proactive in the defensive game that I'd like him to be. But that will come with the higher levels of the game where he'll notice that you cannot glide too much as your gliding will most likely cost your team a goal. But he doesn't shy away from traffic and is frankly just a very good 2-way player. People will love him here.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Nobody pissed away Leblanc. Leblanc was over-hyped and should not have gone earlier than late first round. He was lucky the draft was in Montreal.

WTK. You know that this wasn't true. Everyboyd had him around where he was picked. Leblanc at 17 was the Lancers' leading scorer ahead of our own Kristo who was 18. Yes.....just 1 point. Leading scorer anyway....BUt he was penciled from 18 to 22. Yes, most probably did it just to be sure that they were going to be right. That the Habs would be picking a local. Yet, usually those "experts" don't have the Habs always taking the local so he had to have been a logical choice around that pick to be picked by us.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012

LOL Really? 13th overall/CENTER in 2009... Any guess where he played his minutes as? It was not center and to this day is not. Trade the kid already is all I am saying. We stooged him and Lefbreve(sp) has no clue

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
WTK. You know that this wasn't true. Everyboyd had him around where he was picked. Leblanc at 17 was the Lancers' leading scorer ahead of our own Kristo who was 18. Yes.....just 1 point. Leading scorer anyway....BUt he was penciled from 18 to 22. Yes, most probably did it just to be sure that they were going to be right. That the Habs would be picking a local. Yet, usually those "experts" don't have the Habs always taking the local so he had to have been a logical choice around that pick to be picked by us.

Yeah, I exaggerated.. but that's where I would have picked him. Not that there was a lot available around where he was selected. I wanted Kreider or Josefson. Both aren't lighting up the NHL as it is but they've shown some solid signs. I think Leblanc will end up being trade bait into another organization. I didn't want him but I knew he would be our selection.. Hoped he'd prove me wrong but he hasnt.

LOL Really? 13th overall/CENTER in 2009... Any guess where he played his minutes as? It was not center and to this day is not. Trade the kid already is all I am saying. We stooged him and Lefbreve(sp) has no clue

Because he's not a center. A lot of players are drafted out of junior as centers then switched to the wing. Leblanc does not have the physical attributes to be a center much less the vision required.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Leblanc was pick at the right spot. Many tough he was going to be picked before.
There was a lot of people very happy of this pick on this very board.

What I remember about Leblanc was Timmins comments about his great work ethics.

He has regressed this year. Let's see what Guimond can do to help him.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Yeah, I exaggerated.. but that's where I would have picked him. Not that there was a lot available around where he was selected. I wanted Kreider or Josefson. Both aren't lighting up the NHL as it is but they've shown some solid signs. I think Leblanc will end up being trade bait into another organization. I didn't want him but I knew he would be our selection.. Hoped he'd prove me wrong but he hasnt.

Because he's not a center. A lot of players are drafted out of junior as centers then switched to the wing. Leblanc does not have the physical attributes to be a center much less the vision required.

Funny, he sure as hell was one before being drafted at #13 in 2009... as a center. Where are you going with this?

FytinSioux

Blackhawksssssss
Nov 30, 2009
ND
I am surely one of Kristo's biggest fan. What he did in College is just great. But we have to be careful with those stats. Most prospects with his kind of talent will rarely play their whole 4 years giving him the possibility to rack those stats compared to others who didn't stay that long.

As far as your total analysis of the guy, I say it's dead on. Not only he will be good 5 on 5, great powerplay guy for sure, not a liability defensively though sometimes, he does have a tendancy to not be as proactive in the defensive game that I'd like him to be. But that will come with the higher levels of the game where he'll notice that you cannot glide too much as your gliding will most likely cost your team a goal. But he doesn't shy away from traffic and is frankly just a very good 2-way player. People will love him here.

Agreed. I only brought up the stats because someone was unimpressed with them. Lets not forget he was also rookie of the year in a strong WCHA conference, so it goes back further than the last year or two. I'm not trying to overrate him. With that skillset and the way his game has grown over the last 4 years its hard for me to see anything but success from him. Passionate and driven as can be.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Funny, he sure as hell was one before being drafted at #13 in 2009... as a center. Where are you going with this?

It doesn't matter what position you play in juniors. Often times at the lower levels, the best players in that age group are put at center, it's the most demanding position, so you'd put the responsibility with your best player.

Later on, players are groomed to the position that suits them the best based on their skill sets. Leblanc's skill set was better suited to the wing hence the conversion. Byfuglien, Markov and Burns are examples of players who were drafted at one position and later converted. Higgins was drafted as a center and played the majority of his career on the wing. It happens a lot of the time. Leblanc not being at center has nothing to do with the fact that he is not a very good first round prospect.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Leblanc was pick at the right spot. Many tough he was going to be picked before.
There was a lot of people very happy of this pick on this very board.

What I remember about Leblanc was Timmins comments about his great work ethics.

He has regressed this year. Let's see what Guimond can do to help him.

I believe Leblanc has been nursing a lingering injury for most of the season.

I expect with the off season to heal and train, he will impress next season.

niftymove

Jul 13, 2010
Too bad for Leblanc.

He worked hard last summer to gain some strenght and be top shape for the next season.

That ankle injury was so long to heal.

Just forget this season and be ready for the next one

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Too bad for Leblanc.

He worked hard last summer to gain some strenght and be top shape for the next season.

That ankle injury was so long to heal.

Just forget this season and be ready for the next one
That's how I see it, people are over-reacting and Leblanc will help us down the line in 2-3 years. His grit, determination and puck skill will be valuable assets on the 3rd or 4th line. He could also be a good 2nd liner in his prime, people should give the prospects some time to develop, especially when they have injury that limit an important skill like skating.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

You are giving up on Leblanc way too quick. A year ago he was in the NHL putting a dozen points in 40 games on a 4th line, in his first Pro season. Chill.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
Moves very fluently with the puck. Not afraid to pull high risk moves, but he also has good vision on the ice and makes a move to open up space for his teammates. He should help their powerplay tremendously.

Archambault had nice flashes as well.

The two together really spiced up the Dogs and injected some excitement to the team.

NLHabsFan

Nov 18, 2008
Alberta
I liked how he progressed his complete game in College. When he was drafted I thought he might be pure offense, only making the NHL if he was a top 6 scorer. But he has improved his overall game, and I think he will spend next season with the Dogs and have a legitimate chance of being the first call up and sticking with the Habs. This summer will be big for him. Have a better understanding of what he needs to do to make the big leagues.

AmeriHab

Aug 3, 2012
NY
If he makes the big club next year, where do we see him fit and does he have a chance to be a regular next year?

Patch DD Gally
Bourque Pleks Gio
Chucky Eller Kristo?
Moen Dumont Prust

Looking at that, I see our top 9 getting very crowded and we may be dealing at the draft to move up. I still see LL being a 3rd line winger next year and if we resign Ryder.

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
If he makes the big club next year, where do we see him fit and does he have a chance to be a regular next year?

Patch DD Gally
Bourque Pleks Gio
Chucky Eller Kristo?
Moen Dumont Prust

Looking at that, I see our top 9 getting very crowded and we may be dealing at the draft to move up. I still see LL being a 3rd line winger next year and if we resign Ryder.

Ryder is a must keep. I'd bring up Kristo when Gio is ready to move on.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
I feel better about Kristo over Leblanc, but I doubt he starts next season with Habs. Rather will be a call up when someone gets concussed.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I liked how he progressed his complete game in College. When he was drafted I thought he might be pure offense, only making the NHL if he was a top 6 scorer. But he has improved his overall game, and I think he will spend next season with the Dogs and have a legitimate chance of being the first call up and sticking with the Habs. This summer will be big for him. Have a better understanding of what he needs to do to make the big leagues.

Agreed. yes he's made big strides in his overall game. When he was in the USHL and then as a Freshman you could see that he was much more of a puck hog and didn't use his teammates that well. The coach at UND moved him onto the point on the PP in his first year and as the sent went on he became a much better passer and wasn't just shooting from anywhere and everywhere. Over the 4 years his passing game imo went from average to what I would consider to be one of his best assets without a doubt and that made him a much more dangerous player as goalies/defensmen wouldn't know if he was going to shoot, pass or go for the deke.

Patch DD Gally
Bourque Pleks Gio
Chucky Eller Kristo?
Moen Dumont Prust

Personally at this point I'd be surprised if he was a regular next year, I could see him getting in games but I would assume that he will start in the AHL and get his feet wet there. I also would think that Leblanc would be back in Hamilton unless he has an unreal camp. I would also guess that Ryder will be long gone after this season as he's going to cash in somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad