Confirmed with Link: Habs sign C Manny Malholtra (1 year, 850K)

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
I asked a Canes fan on r/hockey about Malhotra, this is what he had to say:

"He tried out for our AHL team and within no time was called up. He earned an "A" after a few weeks. He was a beast on FOs. He chipped in with timely goals but obviously didn't have a lot of offense. I actually think considering how long he'd been out that he was amazing. I really think with a season under his belt he could become the player he was again. You guys have a hell of a player. Every Canes fan wanted him back badly."

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

"He tried out for our AHL team and within no time was called up. He earned an "A" after a few weeks. He was a beast on FOs. He chipped in with timely goals but obviously didn't have a lot of offense. I actually think considering how long he'd been out that he was amazing. I really think with a season under his belt he could become the player he was again. You guys have a hell of a player. Every Canes fan wanted him back badly."

Damaged goods but perhaps another good find by the scouting staff.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Damaged goods but perhaps another good find by the scouting staff.

Dude, really? This is a guy who's career the Canucks said was done and finish and he still managed to do more in one year with the Canes than Ryan White in four years with us.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Dude, really? This is a guy who's career the Canucks said was done and finish and he still managed to do more in one year with the Canes than Ryan White in four years with us.

Dude, really? He has limited vision in one eye, he's damaged.

Forlando

Nov 14, 2007
Dude, really? He has limited vision in one eye, he's damaged.

So? he still managed to score 7 goals in 69 games and won 59% of his face-offs with 0 +/-.

Way better than having White/Briere centering the 4th line.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Sounds like a good signing. Replacing some of the heart we lost, adds a faceoff guy and gives us little more size down the middle. Three areas the Habs needed help in this offseason. I liked White, think he will go onto a long NHL career. He was starting to come around, but i have seen plays on the ice where he was not the brightest.

HabsRockBruinsChoke

Jul 30, 2013
I'm still not sure about this one. Is Malholtra really an upgrade from White?

Honestly I would've put in Bournival instead...

Pacioretty - DD - Gallagher
Galchenyuk - Plekanec - Parenteau
Bourque - Eller - Sekac
Prust - Bournival - Weise

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

Bourque - Eller - Sekac

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver

Sure, let's put a less-than-proven player in the faceoffs circle there, instead of Malhotra, who actually is one of the best of the league in that aspect of the game, and probably our only guy who's a lock to be above 50% on FO%... :shakehead

Bournival is what we've had too much in Montreal those past few years; a filler with no offensive upside, defensively normal who skates a whole lot for nothing.

I'd rather have the 6'2, 220 pounds veteran with 60% of faceoffs wins there than a little insignificant player who looks like the teen whose voice is cracking in "The Simpsons".

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

Bourque - Eller - Sekac

Markov - Subban
Emelin - Gilbert
Beaulieu - Weaver

Malholtra is the second best in the league in the faceoff dot. No more losing games from last minute faceoff losses sending games into OT.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Not a bad signing. But McClement was still available. I would of favored him over Malhotra.

Nonetheless, good signing.

Harpo

Lyle forever
Sep 20, 2007
Quebec City
Sure, let's put a less-than-proven player in the faceoffs circle there, instead of Malhotra, who actually is one of the best of the league in that aspect of the game, and probably our only guy who's a lock to be above 50% on FO%... :shakehead

Bournival is what we've had too much in Montreal those past few years; a filler with no offensive upside, defensively normal who skates a whole lot for nothing.

I'd rather have the 6'2, 220 pounds veteran with 60% of faceoffs wins there than a little insignificant player who looks like the teen whose voice is cracking in "The Simpsons".
Come on. Bournival was awesome last year, no need to diss him to prove your point. There'll be injuries, and I'm glad we have both of them.

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
Malholtra is the second best in the league in the faceoff dot. No more losing games from last minute faceoff losses sending games into OT.

And no more giving up goals in the dying seconds of periods because our 4million dollar 4th line center ices it then loses the dzone faceoff.

That Habs Fan

Nov 29, 2008
Toronto
we've needed a Malholtra type for years now. less "flashy" of a need than Vanek filled for the end of last season obviously, but a need nonetheless.

great signing, IMO.

maybe he can help Galchenyuk, Eller and Bournival to improve their faceoff abilities

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I find it funny how the "hockey experts/opinionists" are criticizing the habs for losing the leadership of gorges and gionta, but there is no peep for the leadership they attained with the addition of malholtra.

He's been a leader everywhere he has been, maybe outside of NYR only because he was a teenager over there.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

Sort of a Dominik Moore-type of thing for us after we aquired him and he had this great season(playoffs) with us. Fans wanted him back but not management.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
I find it funny how the "hockey experts/opinionists" are criticizing the habs for losing the leadership of gorges and gionta, but there is no peep for the leadership they attained with the addition of malholtra.

He's been a leader everywhere he has been, maybe outside of NYR only because he was a teenager over there.

Just a guess, because they don't know him?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

It's a lot harder for a guy to be a leader when he is joining a new team. You have no track record with your teammates. That may grow over the season but not from day 1.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

most people feel he'll have a lot to prove to stay with the team on a regular basis. Any aging 'damaged' vet should feel this way. If you think his faceoff % is enough to keep him in the lineup on a nightly basis.... it isn't. lol @ anyone who thinks he's going to be an instant leader on a new team, in a city like Montreal.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
most people feel he'll have a lot to prove to stay with the team on a regular basis. Any aging 'damaged' vet should feel this way. If you think his faceoff % is enough to keep him in the lineup on a nightly basis.... it isn't. lol @ anyone who thinks he's going to be an instant leader on a new team, in a city like Montreal.

It doesn't take long for guys to identify who is a leader. Of course its not instant though. That should go without saying.

Certainly, there's a risk element to this signing. But very few ufa signings come without risk. If he can stay healthy, he will stay in this lineup.

Last edited:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Just a guess, because they don't know him?

How could 'they' not know him? They were experts on Parenteau, Franson, Weise, Weaver, Murray..and every other Hab that's ever been picked up by the Habs through trade or signing, why would it be any different with Malhotra?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad