Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Barberio 2 years (750K)

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Last time I checked, all thirty #7 D on each team have minimal impact....what's your point?

Not even sure why we signed him. Even stranger is he got a longer contract than Ghetto? Ghetto actually looked pretty solid while playing top 6 last year. Barbs 'didn't look out of place'-not much of a + there.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Not even sure why we signed him. Even stranger is he got a longer contract than Ghetto? Ghetto actually looked pretty solid while playing top 6 last year. Barbs 'didn't look out of place'-not much of a + there.

Andrighetto probably wanted a one-year contract so he could earn a raise next year.

BubbleGumPlant

Jul 2, 2012
I thought Barberio last year, looked as good as Beaulieu has ever looked with the Habs

Yup Beaulieu has really underachieved so far which is why he is only making $1M. But Beaulieu's ceiling is way higher than Barberio's. Let's hope Beaulieu improves this year otherwise we're F'd.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
If we are going into next season with some more bargains that we hope will pan out I will ****ing lose my mind.

There needs to be a plan A and it cannot be Barbiero and Pateryn.

The team has Markov, Subban, Petry and Emelin in the top-4. Beaulieu threatening to be there too. Pateryn and Barberio as a solid depth.

The team NEEDS help on offense and they need money to spend there. They have 4 top-6 forwards. You think it makes sense to skimp at forward for the sake of the bottom pair? And that's based on the assumption that Barberio was bad, even though he excelled in a bottom pairing role, generating offense at even strength at a very high rate, and conclusively winning the possession, scoring chance and goals for/against battle. I'm not sure what you were watching, but I never saw this iffy NHLer.

So what is wrong with having him as a regular in that position? Concern if there's an injury to one of the top-4 guys? The team has Andrighetto and Carr in the top-6 right now! there is no such thing as a team without weakness in the NHL. Even if Montreal gets someone like Okposo, they still need another top-6 caliber winger and an upgrade at backup goaltender. Where are they getting the cap space for that?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I thought Barberio last year, looked as good as Beaulieu has ever looked with the Habs

I don't know if I would go that far, but in general, I've been disappointed with beaulieu, especially given his set of tools. He's got a long ways to go for sure.

PsychoticHab

May 26, 2012
Ottawa

It could also have to do that Barberio has 133 career games so for the most part the team knows what it has in him while Ghetto has 56 career games and, while he has shown some promise, the Habs just want to make sure they know what they have in him before he gets a longer contract.

Barberio has proven himself to be a #5-#7 d-man and at that price there's no reason to complain. The money that can be saved on the defense can go to improving the offense.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't know if I would go that far, but in general, I've been disappointed with beaulieu, especially given his set of tools. He's got a long ways to go for sure.

Beaulieu benefits from being a 1st round pick around here....but for a guy who was drafted as an offensive Dman, he's shown VERY little in the AHL/NHL in terms of providing and even generating offense

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on him, I still think there's room for growth and agree his ceiling is probably higher than Barberio's

But I'm starting to have serious concerns about the player he's going to be

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Beaulieu benefits from being a 1st round pick around here....but for a guy who was drafted as an offensive Dman, he's shown VERY little in the AHL/NHL in terms of providing and even generating offense

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on him, I still think there's room for growth and agree his ceiling is probably higher than Barberio's

as long as he keeps improving year after year, im not getting worried

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site

At this point, the only thing I like about him is his mobility, and that alone will give him the chance to hang around the NHL for a while. He just needs to add something else to make it a solid career. Whether that means moving the puck up the ice with more consistency, or becoming more reliable defensively......so I can still see myself being satisfied with him even if he doesn't become an offensive threat.

Edit: I also like the way he sticks up for his teammates but that is more of a "nice to have" characteristic rather than an essential one when it comes to a guy like beaulieu.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
At this point, the only thing I like about him is his mobility, and that alone will give him the chance to hang around the NHL for a while. He just needs to add something else to make it a solid career. Whether that means moving the puck up the ice with more consistency, or becoming more reliable defensively......so I can still see myself being satisfied with him even if he doesn't become an offensive threat.

Edit: I also like the way he sticks up for his teammates but that is more of a "nice to have" characteristic rather than an essential one when it comes to a guy like beaulieu.

Well if we ever start using him like when he played with gonchar and mturd stops benching him for any mistake, on oroff the ice, we might have a good player here.

jwrocks1

Mar 28, 2015

He has been inconsistent, but, he has a tight leash. There was hope he would be a top pair, but he can be a 2nd pair guy with PP duties. He seems to have confidence issues with the puck....which again, I place in the coaching file

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Plan the parade.

Behold, the new Tom Gilbert in all his glorious mediocrity.

You're trying way too hard if you're actually complaining about this. A # 7 D signing for $750,000, more than $2 million less than what Gilbert was making, and likely without a drop off in talent or ability. Your whining is badly off base in this thread. I hope you're not actually expecting big impact moves a day after the Stanley Cup final and 2 weeks before free agency even starts.

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
You're trying way too hard if you're actually complaining about this. A # 7 D signing for $750,000, more than $2 million less than what Gilbert was making, and likely without a drop off in talent or ability. Your whining is badly off base in this thread. I hope you're not actually expecting big impact moves a day after the Stanley Cup final and 2 weeks before free agency even starts.

Sorry. I can't stand Barberio. Not a fan of his game at all, and I don't see him as a valuable addition to the team. I know the term and amount are fine, just don't like the guy or his game. Much like I hated Tomas Kaberle, Jaro Spacek, or any number of soft bottom pairing defensemen this team has played over the past couple of decades.

Feel free to tear the post apart, just sick of the mediocre, soft, boring hockey this team is famous for now... Just bitter and miss the old days today.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Sorry. I can't stand Barberio. Not a fan of his game at all, and I don't see him as a valuable addition to the team. I know the term and amount are fine, just don't like the guy or his game. Much like I hated Tomas Kaberle, Jaro Spacek, or any number of soft bottom pairing defensemen this team has played over the past couple of decades.

Feel free to tear the post apart, just sick of the mediocre, soft, boring hockey this team is famous for now... Just bitter and miss the old days today.

You are a very bad, bad man, Yerry... :shakehead

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I still like Beaulieu a lot better than Barberio, but honnestly, last year, Barberio looked better. He was more assertive and decisive than Beaulieu. He took his decisions faster. And when he picked up in the o-zone, it was better calculated.

In fact, Beaulieu's talent being greater, he should look Barberio play and take notes. Because that's the way we want Beaulieu to play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad