Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Barberio 2 years (750K)

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I could live with one of them but not both. Just not good enough.

Besides Subban and a slowed down, aging Markov, you don't have enough offense back there. Beaulieu has potential but I don't know if he can top 30 points.

The rest of the defencemen are all 10-20 points at best. Petry maybe 25 points.

They can move the puck out of the zone but they can't generate any real offense. And the PP is based on offense from the point (probably why it sucks so bad).

The team needs to bring in a guy with 40 point potential, especially because I don't think Markov can do it anymore and he is gone after this season.

You don't have enough proven offense back there. Which is different. And if anyone on the Habs roster has demonstrated the potential to produce offense its Barberio. He demonstrated, in a small but not negligible sample, that he can generate offense at a VERY high rate.

Its also a matter of where you play a player. Unless you actually give a player the minutes to produce offense (especially regarding defenceman), then you can't know if they actually have the ability to. Its been the biggest complaint the fanbase has had with Therrien. The fact is, Subban and Markov get the lions share of offensive opportunities for Canadiens defensemen. And for very good reason. But that doesn't mean the other guys don't have the aptitude.

I'm not saying Barberio is some amazing player, but if you want more offense from the team, they need better forwards. If you need better better forwards, then you ideally need more money to acquire them. For Montreal to do that they need to clear money from the back-end. And to compete, they need guys like Barberio, who have been somewhat undervalued and are signed to cheap deals.

As for the PP, if we're running the same PP next year, Muller will be found tied in some back room of the Bell Center.

IDK, I'm still not seeing a reason why you think they shouldn't be regulars.

Alex514

May 10, 2015
Great deal!

One of the few pleasant surprises last year, and there weren't very many!

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I thought he might get 1 year 700K, he was better then I expected and think he's good depth to have.

There is an advantage to sign him for 2 years instead of 1
due to the rules for the expansion draft , if he plays 40 games, he can be an eligible defencemen to expose.

We are obligated to expose a dmen who plays 40 games in 16-17 (or 70 in two season) (he played 30 last year) and who is under contract for the 2017-18 season , which with his 2 year contract he would be.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
This is a place for hyperbole.

There would have been no need to trade for Flynn had we kept Ryan White around.

LOL!!!

Flynn is better on faceoffs than Ryan White, is faster, and takes far less penalties. On the downside, he fights less. Or maybe that isn't a downside since Ryan often forgets to wait until the other guy gets his gloves off, and earns an extra penalty for it.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Barberio performed better than I expected. He certainly benefited from all the injuries. That being said, he does have limitations which make him a a depth signing. I'm getting tired of talking about depth signings.
Take a few weeks off then. Free agency doesn't start until July 1. I don't know why you would expect or hope for anything other than depth signings right now.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
There is an advantage to sign him for 2 years instead of 1
due to the rules for the expansion draft , if he plays 40 games, he can be an eligible defencemen to expose.

We are obligated to expose a dmen who plays 40 games in 16-17 (or 70 in two season) (he played 30 last year) and who is under contract for the 2017-18 season , which with his 2 year contract he would be.

Not an issue. Either Emelin or Beaulieu gets exposed, Emelin in my books.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
You don't have enough proven offense back there. Which is different. And if anyone on the Habs roster has demonstrated the potential to produce offense its Barberio. He demonstrated, in a small but not negligible sample, that he can generate offense at a VERY high rate.

Its also a matter of where you play a player. Unless you actually give a player the minutes to produce offense (especially regarding defenceman), then you can't know if they actually have the ability to. Its been the biggest complaint the fanbase has had with Therrien. The fact is, Subban and Markov get the lions share of offensive opportunities for Canadiens defensemen. And for very good reason. But that doesn't mean the other guys don't have the aptitude.

I'm not saying Barberio is some amazing player, but if you want more offense from the team, they need better forwards. If you need better better forwards, then you ideally need more money to acquire them. For Montreal to do that they need to clear money from the back-end. And to compete, they need guys like Barberio, who have been somewhat undervalued and are signed to cheap deals.

As for the PP, if we're running the same PP next year, Muller will be found tied in some back room of the Bell Center.

IDK, I'm still not seeing a reason why you think they shouldn't be regulars.

If we are going into next season with some more bargains that we hope will pan out I will ****ing lose my mind.

There needs to be a plan A and it cannot be Barbiero and Pateryn.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Will always remember Barberio chasing Briere into the corners and then Weise scoring. Beautiful incompetence, and we're keeping this boy for another two years. DEPTH.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
As long as you know there is a better alternative to playing Bouillon on that 2nd wave pp, you know you are going to the right direction. Barberio is very great at the AHL level and can be decent at this level I am sure.

Barberio is a good 6th-7th D, so is Pateryn. They can chip in offensive at times, something Emelin struggling at and most of our dmen didn't do in the past years including MR Gilbert.
You need that occasional goal that will win you games 3-2, 4-3.

We used to sign overpaid dmen that wasn't doing it. USe your damn farm and save on the damn cap. The same can be said about the bottom 6. You build your team cheap in this cap era.

Last edited:

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Barberio-Pateryn is exactly what you want when it comes to a 3rd pairing. Cheap and effective. Unfortunately this team has far bigger concerns than 3rd pairing dmen. I know there was never any way of it happening but I really wanted Markov moved at the deadline last season. Let Beaulieu and Barberio replace his offence and keep Emelin for his physicality. Now MB needs to go all in improving the top 6 forwards.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Will always remember Barberio chasing Briere into the corners and then Weise scoring. Beautiful incompetence, and we're keeping this boy for another two years. DEPTH.

It's not that bad, for once.

He can be used as expansion draft bait, other teams could even be interested to acquire him to use him as such (if they don't want to expose one of their own).

But yeah, in the grand scheme of thing, his best quality is he can be easily buried. :laugh:

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
If we are going into next season with some more bargains that we hope will pan out I will ****ing lose my mind.

There needs to be a plan A and it cannot be Barbiero and Pateryn.
They're # 6 and # 7 on the depth chart. If you're looking for more moves to push one of them to the waiver wire or into the minors you'll be disappointed. Chicago won the cup last year with 3 defensemen. We have the luxury of having either Emelin or Beaulieu on the bottom pairing. D is the least of our problems.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Barbario-Pateryn basically the bottom pairing next year. Honestly, I'm ok with it. Who else is going to play there? There really isn't anyone in the minors or coming up being held back now that they moved Tinordi for a ham sandwich.

They have to add more offense now.

So then where's Emelin and Beaulieu?

this 2 year deal is pretty fishy... you dont sign a #7 to two year deals everyday..

makes me think one of beaulieu or emelin could very well be on the move..

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

this 2 year deal is pretty fishy... you dont sign a #7 to two year deals everyday..

Nothing fishy here, it's Bergevin.

He's always trigger happy when it come to give terms to depth guy.
And we have carried 9-10 Ds per season pretty much every year during his regime.

Just another day in Habsland, really.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Byron 3 years, Mitchell 3 years, Bryan Flynn 2 years...

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
They're # 6 and # 7 on the depth chart. If you're looking for more moves to push one of them to the waiver wire or into the minors you'll be disappointed. Chicago won the cup last year with 3 defensemen. We have the luxury of having either Emelin or Beaulieu on the bottom pairing. D is the least of our problems.

Well like I said... There needs to be more offense on the backend. Subban and aging Markov is not enough. The rest of them are 20 point d-men. I do hope someone breaks out but as it stands, this is what to expect. That, for me, is not good enough. There needs to be another move.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Nothing fishy here, it's Bergevin.

He's always trigger happy when it come to give terms to depth guy.
And we have carried 9-10 Ds per season pretty much every year during his regime.

Just another day in Habsland, really.
Except he's never, ever, carried 9 or 10 defensemen. Think. Roster limit is 23. You need 2 goalies. If he carried 10 defensemen then there's only 11 forwards on the roster. I like that you're inventing facts but this seems unrealistic.

8 D seems to be somewhat normal. Last year it was 8 because he didn't want to risk losing PED user Tinordi. Under normal circumstances 7 D and hopefully one or 2 in the AHL that can fill in for injuries.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Not a big fan of Barberio. I have no clue why we give that many years to these types of players. One would have been plenty. That is.. if he's going to be the 7th guy. Which he should be. But then again we sometimes like to overplay garbage for no reason.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
Take a few weeks off then. Free agency doesn't start until July 1. I don't know why you would expect or hope for anything other than depth signings right now.

I'm not expecting anything significant at this time. It's just a general observation that goes well beyond this little time frame.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Except he's never, ever, carried 9 or 10 defensemen. Think. Roster limit is 23. You need 2 goalies. If he carried 10 defensemen then there's only 11 forwards on the roster. I like that you're inventing facts but this seems unrealistic.

8 D seems to be somewhat normal. Last year it was 8 because he didn't want to risk losing PED user Tinordi. Under normal circumstances 7 D and hopefully one or 2 in the AHL that can fill in for injuries.

He DID and will still do.

Obviously you don't have (and can't have) 10 Ds on the active roster at the same time.

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
Well like I said... There needs to be more offense on the backend. Subban and aging Markov is not enough. The rest of them are 20 point d-men. I do hope someone breaks out but as it stands, this is what to expect. That, for me, is not good enough. There needs to be another move.
I think what you said before is the key - a better PP. Subban was 5th in the league in assists. Markov was 10th. Pretty sure we're the only team with 2 players in that Top 10. Subban had a "down" year and missed some time but stil put up numbers. Markov won't disappear overnight. Both guys put up numbers without relying on the PP. Petry and Beau both move the puck well. Any offended at all from a third pair is purely a bonus.

With a better PP the D as a whole will create plenty of offence.

Again, I think the D is fine, concentrate on adding to the forwards and improve the PP (Muller).

CGG

Jan 6, 2005
He DID and will still do.

Obviously you don't have (and can't have) 10 Ds on the active roster at the same time.

You lost me. What are you complaining about then? How do you get "9 or 10" D on the team? Are you upset that he has put defensemen on his AHL team to be used in case of injuries? Every team does that.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I think what you said before is the key - a better PP. Subban was 5th in the league in assists. Markov was 10th. Pretty sure we're the only team with 2 players in that Top 10. Subban had a "down" year and missed some time but stil put up numbers. Markov won't disappear overnight. Both guys put up numbers without relying on the PP. Petry and Beau both move the puck well. Any offended at all from a third pair is purely a bonus.

With a better PP the D as a whole will create plenty of offence.

Again, I think the D is fine, concentrate on adding to the forwards and improve the PP (Muller).

My view is that the PP sucks partly because of a lack of offense from the backend. The only time they scored basically was when Subban was on the ice. I don't think it's simply poor strategy and that's the only reason why the numbers sucked. It's not as if guys like Beaulieu, Petry, etc... ever put up numbers to begin with. It wasn't really a down season for them, it was par for the course. Petry moves the puck well but his best ever season was like 27 points. That's all he is and all he will ever be.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
You lost me. What are you complaining about then? How do you get "9 or 10" D on the team? Are you upset that he has put defensemen on his AHL team to be used in case of injuries? Every team does that.

I'm not complaining about anything, simply stating how we operate.

We carry 8 Ds pretty much at all time on the active roster, #7 and #8 being healthy scratches, often we won't dress 7/8 in case of injury and just call someone up to fill in and that's how you "extend" to 9/10.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad