Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Barberio 2 years (750K)

MtlBoxFan

Jun 19, 2014
The Bruins are going to pay Kevan Miller 2.5 million next year. 750k for Barberio is practically the league minimum for a D. I think it's a good signing.

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
Pretty obvious the franchise is not willing to do what it takes to win a cup. Why would they? They have some star players (Price, MaxPac and PK) and some good younger players who are interesting (Chucky, Gally) and the loyal vets (Markov and Plek) which is enough to fill the seats and give us the mirage of hope.

The best teams make bold moves. Trading for Kessel by the Pens and firing their coach midseason being an example. We struggle to trade for John Scott.

Our most recent signings Byron and now Barberio just reek of mediocrity.

I'd rather we just took the Toronto model and blown the thing up, save the core pieces (PK, Price, Chucky), get a very high, franchise altering player and freeing space to sign a top free agent. Same for Buffalo. I bet the Bruins are able to completely transition from their Chara led team to a whole new lineup that is better than ours in a few years, while we limp along with the Plek and Markov moving into retirement era.

Next predication, we re-sign Weise and DD isn't moved, therefore entering next season with the same confusing mess of soft grinders.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Beaulieu benefits from being a 1st round pick around here....but for a guy who was drafted as an offensive Dman, he's shown VERY little in the AHL/NHL in terms of providing and even generating offense

Don't get me wrong, I'm not giving up on him, I still think there's room for growth and agree his ceiling is probably higher than Barberio's

But I'm starting to have serious concerns about the player he's going to be

Typical overrating. People get in their heads he will be the next Markov and of course when he does not reach those lofty expectations blame game needs to be played. 9 time out of 10 the blame will be shifted to MT/MB naturally.

Beau will be a Petry as his ceiling. Thats a good Dmen to have. He has some physicality and can move the puck. If people think he will be our next number 1 then that needs to be in check because that is not the player he is or will become.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Literally no one sees Beaulieu as "our next number 1".

A quality complimentary piece on the 1st pairing with Subban, perhaps.

I'd consider him a legitimate #4 as of right now and starting the season at 22 years old, and playing in the kind of role he had, at such a young age, and coming out of this train wreck of a season with 19 points in 64 games are all signs that he's headed in the right direction. He literally doubled his production from the precedent season.

And by all means, if he's meant to become Petry 2.0, how the hell is that meant to be a bad thing? Petry is a great #3 and was superior to Markov, our current #2, for the majority of this past season.

If anything, Beaulieu gets very underrated around here. People are expecting huge numbers out of him despite playing a fairly limited role. Seems like the expectations relative to the typical defenseman development curve has been skewed by the kind of immediate impact Subban had on this team at such a young age. That's not the norm.

Beaulieu should be a valuable member of this team for years to come. He's a great skater, with great puck skills, and he has that swagger to his game that you just can't teach.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
Work with a girl who knows Barberio family. She told me how he much he's a nice guy, who hard he practiced when he was young and how happy he is to sign with the habs. For us, he's an afterthough who may sit in the stands for half the season. For him, that's a guaranteed pro contract, something that makes all the difference when you're 26 and on the bubble.

I know nobody will care, but just thought I would share that. These are real people, and they worked extremely hard to get where they are.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Barberio for 6th-7th D is honestly a step to the right direction. EVen though I found tinordi was fine.

I don't know why some people are complaining. Would you rather have Kaberle or Spacek there? Jesus.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Literally no one sees Beaulieu as "our next number 1".

A quality complimentary piece on the 1st pairing with Subban, perhaps.

I'd consider him a legitimate #4 as of right now and starting the season at 22 years old, and playing in the kind of role he had, at such a young age, and coming out of this train wreck of a season with 19 points in 64 games are all signs that he's headed in the right direction. He literally doubled his production from the precedent season.

And by all means, if he's meant to become Petry 2.0, how the hell is that meant to be a bad thing? Petry is a great #3 and was superior to Markov, our current #2, for the majority of this past season.

If anything, Beaulieu gets very underrated around here. People are expecting huge numbers out of him despite playing a fairly limited role. Seems like the expectations relative to the typical defenseman development curve has been skewed by the kind of immediate impact Subban had on this team at such a young age. That's not the norm.

Beaulieu should be a valuable member of this team for years to come. He's a great skater, with great puck skills, and he has that swagger to his game that you just can't teach.

Beaulieu did take a big leap forward this past season but the problem was he seemed to struggle much more in the 2nd half. It's good that he doubled his offense in goals, assists and points, going from 1 goal to 2, 8 assists to 17 and 9 points to 19, and he'll still just be turning 24 2 months into next season so he's got time to work on things. But after getting 2 goals in the first 21 games of the season, he went the next 43 games without a goal. In the first 31 games of the season he had 2+9 and a +5, In the final 33 games of the season he had 0 + 8 and a -11.

To me he's got to step up more if he's going to be in the top 4, be more consistent and stop making so many mental mistakes, poor positioning, improve his shot selection.

MrNasty

Jun 13, 2007
Nova Scotia
Pretty obvious the franchise is not willing to do what it takes to win a cup. Why would they? They have some star players (Price, MaxPac and PK) and some good younger players who are interesting (Chucky, Gally) and the loyal vets (Markov and Plek) which is enough to fill the seats and give us the mirage of hope.

The best teams make bold moves. Trading for Kessel by the Pens and firing their coach midseason being an example. We struggle to trade for John Scott.

I'd rather we just took the Toronto model and blown the thing up, save the core pieces (PK, Price, Chucky), get a very high, franchise altering player and freeing space to sign a top free agent. Same for Buffalo. I bet the Bruins are able to completely transition from their Chara led team to a whole new lineup that is better than ours in a few years, while we limp along with the Plek and Markov moving into retirement era.

Next predication, we re-sign Weise and DD isn't moved, therefore entering next season with the same confusing mess of soft grinders.

In all seriousness, if MB had traded for Kessel and Justin Shultz he would have been roasted on here.
Oddly his most popular moves on this forum last year were the trade for Kassian and the signing of Semin.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Beaulieu did take a big leap forward this past season but the problem was he seemed to struggle much more in the 2nd half. It's good that he doubled his offense in goals, assists and points, going from 1 goal to 2, 8 assists to 17 and 9 points to 19, and he'll still just be turning 24 2 months into next season so he's got time to work on things. But after getting 2 goals in the first 21 games of the season, he went the next 43 games without a goal. In the first 31 games of the season he had 2+9 and a +5, In the final 33 games of the season he had 0 + 8 and a -11.

To me he's got to step up more if he's going to be in the top 4, be more consistent and stop making so many mental mistakes, poor positioning, improve his shot selection.

The bolded part can easily be attributed to the team's overall performance after Price and Gallagher went down, and I shouldn't have to tell you that. Without context, +/- in itself isn't a really telling nor relevant statistic.

As for the mental mistakes and poor positioning part, to me that's as easy as it gets as far as criticism go on any defenseman. I really can't say he stood out in a negative manner this season in his own end. And by all means, he's still very young - and very raw - for a defenseman.

I don't know the future, and I can really only comment on Beaulieu's tools and his progression so far in the NHL. From what I've seen, he's well on his way to become a great asset for us.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
In all seriousness, if MB had traded for Kessel and Justin Shultz he would have been roasted on here.
Oddly his most popular moves on this forum last year were the trade for Kassian and the signing of Semin.

So the only 2 moves he made were his most popular? Fantastic. :laugh:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The bolded part can easily be attributed to the team's overall performance after Price and Gallagher went down, and I shouldn't have to tell you that. Without context, +/- in itself isn't a really telling nor relevant statistic.

As for the mental mistakes and poor positioning part, to me that's as easy as it gets as far as criticism go on any defenseman. I really can't say he stood out in a negative manner this season in his own end. And by all means, he's still very young - and very raw - for a defenseman.

I don't know the future, and I can really only comment on Beaulieu's tools and his progression so far in the NHL. From what I've seen, he's well on his way to become a great asset for us.

So he stopped scoring goals because Price wasn't in net? As for Gallagher, he played 31 games during Beaulieu's 2nd half of 33 games (12-17 to 4-9)

Repeating the same mistakes is not something you see for any defensemen. To me he clearly didn't look as good in the 2nd half.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
So he stopped scoring goals because Price wasn't in net? As for Gallagher, he played 31 games during Beaulieu's 2nd half of 33 games (12-17 to 4-9)

The train went off the rails when Gallagher first got injured. The dynamic of this team was established even after he came back.

As for the goals scoring part, Beaulieu isn't known for his shot, and he has 3 goals in 151 career games. You say he "stopped scoring goals when Price wasn't in net", I say this is only a matter of sample size and a statistical anomaly. Him not scoring in 30 something games isn't exactly surprising.

Repeating the same mistakes is not something you see for any defensemen. To me he clearly didn't look as good in the 2nd half.

Repeating the same mistakes is absolutely something you see for any defensemen, especially young ones. Even veteran, long established stars like Markov and Subban often repeat the same mistakes.

I don't quite have to long term memory to recall whether a specific player played up to his standards in X sample of games, but I'll say this; Beaulieu had injury issues in the 2nd half of the season, and the team as a whole vastly under performed. So I'm not exactly surprised by him not being as good in the 2nd half. Minus Galchenyuk, everyone wasn't as good in the 2nd half.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The train went off the rails when Gallagher first got injured. The dynamic of this team was established even after he came back.

As for the goals scoring part, Beaulieu isn't known for his shot, and he has 3 goals in 151 career games. You say he "stopped scoring goals when Price wasn't in net", I say this is only a matter of sample size and a statistical anomaly. Him not scoring in 30 something games isn't exactly surprising.

Repeating the same mistakes is absolutely something you see for any defensemen, especially young ones. Even veteran, long established stars like Markov and Subban often repeat the same mistakes.

I don't quite have to long term memory to recall whether a specific player played up to his standards in X sample of games, but I'll say this; Beaulieu had injury issues in the 2nd half of the season, and the team as a whole vastly under performed. So I'm not exactly surprised by him not being as good in the 2nd half. Minus Galchenyuk, everyone wasn't as good in the 2nd half.

No I was asking you why you think Price being out of the lineup had anything to do with Beaulieu not scoring goals. 43 games is half a season. People think he's a top 4 D already yet he went half a season without scoring a single goal, something that you don't want to see for a top 4 D on a playoff team unless they excel defensively and he does not.

Making the same mental mistakes is not something you see from all defensemen. Of course they can try to do too much that leads to errors, have a bad night, etc... But making basic positioning mistakes even for young blueliners and not learning from them is a big concern. Some of course will but it's how they learn from those mistakes that matter if they are going to be top 4 defensemen on playoff teams. Of course some offensive D just have holes in their defensive game either by a lack of strength or just not a strong part of their game. Beaulieu is skilled but doesn't score, he's can dish the puck but the points are really there yet. He is often poor in his own end.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

I liked the Kassian and Semin moves. We lost almost nothing and gained the potential of a big 3rd-line forward and a sharpshooter. Both moves flamed out, okay, but both were worthwhile gambles on their own merits. Semin in particular had a huge upside; can't blame people for getting excited.

Thing is, instead of evaluating those two moves on their merits, they're seen as emblematic of Bergevin's style: Low-risk/low-reward. As individual moves, Kassian, Semin, Byron, Barberio, Danault are fine. But they've become symbols of a broader issue: "Thanks for another side dish; where's the meat?"

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
I liked the Kassian and Semin moves. We lost almost nothing and gained the potential of a big 3rd-line forward and a sharpshooter. Both moves flamed out, okay, but both were worthwhile gambles on their own merits. Semin in particular had a huge upside; can't blame people for getting excited.

Thing is, instead of evaluating those two moves on their merits, they're seen as emblematic of Bergevin's style: Low-risk/low-reward. As individual moves, Kassian, Semin, Byron, Barberio, Danault are fine. But they've become symbols of a broader issue: "Thanks for another side dish; where's the meat?"

Exactly. Maybe a Kessel trade wouldn't have been the right fit, but what about O'Reilly? Or Johansen? Then freeing up space to sign Okposo or Ladd? Yes, those are hard moves to pull off, but if you look at teams like LA, Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh, they all manage to somehow add top level players when needed. Or how about trading Plek, Emelin and Markov when out of playoff contention?

Those are franchises that are desperate to win cups. We are not because we already sell out and sell beers and merchandise regardless.

Like I said, I can already see the season playing out. Price will come back and be very good. We will be somewhat better than last year, but still miles behind the best teams in the league with no shot at the cup. We'll slump midseason like aways and MT will be fired. Muller will take over and we'll limp to the finish line with a disinterested roster that is a year older and a year less valuable.

This league is all about the top 6, top 4 D and goalie. Everything else should be available for trade.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Work with a girl who knows Barberio family. She told me how he much he's a nice guy, who hard he practiced when he was young and how happy he is to sign with the habs. For us, he's an afterthough who may sit in the stands for half the season. For him, that's a guaranteed pro contract, something that makes all the difference when you're 26 and on the bubble.

I know nobody will care, but just thought I would share that. These are real people, and they worked extremely hard to get where they are.
He does seem like a great kid, and a character guy, who really appreciates playing for the Habs...gotta be happy for him...
He slots into a good 6-7 guy playing probably 40-45 games as long as we don't have a ton of injuries...

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Exactly. Maybe a Kessel trade wouldn't have been the right fit, but what about O'Reilly? Or Johansen? Then freeing up space to sign Okposo or Ladd? Yes, those are hard moves to pull off, but if you look at teams like LA, Chicago, San Jose, Pittsburgh, they all manage to somehow add top level players when needed. Or how about trading Plek, Emelin and Markov when out of playoff contention?

Those are franchises that are desperate to win cups. We are not because we already sell out and sell beers and merchandise regardless.

Like I said, I can already see the season playing out. Price will come back and be very good. We will be somewhat better than last year, but still miles behind the best teams in the league with no shot at the cup. We'll slump midseason like aways and MT will be fired. Muller will take over and we'll limp to the finish line with a disinterested roster that is a year older and a year less valuable.

This league is all about the top 6, top 4 D and goalie. Everything else should be available for trade.
Some very good points.......it's sad to say, but we aren't trying to win the Cup, our guys are saying, hey, make da playoff and who knows what can happen.....

Geoff Molson needs to kick someone in the butt, the next time he hears that...

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

I see things exactly the same way and all of the successful teams in this league are winning just like you described. I wonder what it would take for Bergevin to go for it? What else does he need to push him? Why did he not fire Therrien? It makes no sense at all, I see us needing 2-3 more significant players and a veteran backup and limit Price to 45-50 games especially comin off such and injury plagued season.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007

Lol re-signing a fourth line forward and re-signing a RFA D to be our 7th D BEFORE the draft/free agency.. yeah there is no time left to improve the team and we just want to stay mediocre.

Even if you traded 75% of the team away and kept Price, Subban, Chucky and Gally.. we don't finish last. Those guys, when healthy, alone are too good to prevent us from getting a top 3 pick.

NoComments

Feb 27, 2015

thanks for sharing such a thought. it's all about perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00