Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Alexandre Alain to a 3 year entry level contract (2 way)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
... Not suuuuuuper impressive with the Olympiques, but that was eons ago.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Good move. Won't be the worst free agent signing this year. Kid as a great head on his shoulders. Good overall instincts.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Players not drafted obviously have flaws in their game, especially 6’1 centers. What is the scouting report? I assume it is his skating that has kept him from at least being drafted...

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
For whatever it's worth:

Finally Alexandre Alain has seen his entry draft eligibility come and go, and the 20-year old 6’1” centreman now faces the decision of playing an overage season in the QMJHL for Blainville-Boisbriand Armada or try to score a professional contract. Alain let the team in scoring this season with a modest 52 points, but the team was deep on offence which allowed them to spread out the results to a positive effect. He is a local player with a strong backstory of perseverance after an operation to remove a tumour in his spinal cord. He is perhaps not as flashy offensively as Goulet or Fortier, but he is considered a good energy player with “good” offensive ability. The more rounded resume will perhaps be to his benefit with the Rocket trying to mould their roster as players come and go to the Montreal Canadiens.

Habs Development Camp preview, part one: Local talent has a chance to shine

He was invited last year to the Habs development camp in July

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
291468.jpg

:sarcasm:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I like that he had a good progression every year in both the regular season and the PO.

I like the 73 goals in the last 119 games. Not bad. Just looking at his numbers last year, a bit surprised he wasn't drafted at least in the 7th round as he led his team in scoring.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
In a JdM piece from 6 days ago, titled Le Canadien ne peut l'échapper, they wrote this about Alain:

Connaissant son potentiel, près d’une dizaine d’équipes de la LNH espèrent l’enrôler dans leurs rangs, selon les informations recueillies par Le Journal mercredi.

Basically, JdM claimed that as per their sources, 10 or so NHL teams were hoping to sign him.

Le Canadien ne peut l’échapper

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
In a JdM piece from 6 days ago, titled Le Canadien ne peut l'échapper, they wrote this about Alain:

Connaissant son potentiel, près d’une dizaine d’équipes de la LNH espèrent l’enrôler dans leurs rangs, selon les informations recueillies par Le Journal mercredi.

Basically, JdM claimed that as per their sources, 10 or so NHL teams were hoping to sign him.

Glad to see Habs win this one out. I'm sure Alain also was appreciative that Habs invited him to their camp last year. And so he gave them an edge over the others. Not to mention local kids dream of being with the Canadiens organization.

TVA Sports had also tweeted a while ago that Habs were interested in Alain and Galipeau. I tweeted Marc Lalancette (TVA Sports' resident Junior analyst for those who don't know) if he's heard any info on Galipeau. He simply replied that we'll need to keep an eye on him.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Glad to see Habs win this one out. I'm sure Alain also was appreciative that Habs invited him to their camp last year. And so he gave them an edge over the others. Not to mention local kids dream of being with the Canadiens organization.

Habs have done a poor job of being first to build a rapport with emerging players, late bloomers, UFAs ... basically, anyone who costs nothing to acquire.

They'd need a more proactive approach however, it's also a matter of organizational culture -- I can't wait til there is a definite change in that direction.

There is no way, no how, we should be seeing other teams getting to players in our backyard, first. Of course, it doesn't guarantee anything, if a player prefers a sunny destination or whatever, nothing we can do. But, it seems to me, most free agents always say the same thing about how they signed with a club that pursued them first.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
We said this e-v-e-r-y y-e-a-r for the last 10... They always suck tho

that was the Lefebvre years though. With a even half decent coach I would think the team is better or at least looks better on the ice then 5 guys skating around in circles like they were apart of one of those electronic games but instead of moving around they just spin in one spot.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

It’s a good signing, absolutely nothing to lose and he is a local player which is a bonus. Nice to see other teams also had interest.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Would be nice to see him succeed but these overagers don't often turn out. I think who he has as a coach in the AHL next season will go a long way for his future.

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Would be nice to see him succeed but these overagers don't often turn out. I think who he has as a coach in the AHL next season will go a long way for his future.
An overager that didn’t even dominate In ththe Q
This is just depth for the ahl/echl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad