Confirmed with Link: Habs sign 3-year regional tv-deal with Rogers

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Pro sports have had blackouts since a very long time. NFL, MLB, and CFL all have certain blackout provisions.

There is a law suit on the hands of NHL and mlb down in the USA which argues that the blackout restrictions are anti competitive, but the results of that suit won't affect Canada... Although the eventual results of that suit may inspire some litigation proceedings in the Canadian courts.

As for yourself, you can still explore alternative means for broadcasting the games for free. I'm sure you'll find something, legal or not.
I already know this. Already have my broadcasts at the ready :P.

I just find it funny that people in North America are push overs.

"Well, if you want to watch something you already pay for, pay more or don't watch (or apparently move to a location that has it already because that makes sense)."

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
But just like last year, not all games will be national this year, so for us, this means actually nothing.

Actually it's worse for us. Last year we had RDS and could watch all games nationally. This year there isn't a single place we can go for all the games.

If anyone is excited by this I'd like to understand why. Maybe I'm missing something.

1. As someone who resides in the Habs region I can finally watch every game in English which wasn't possible before. TSN-Habs was never available to me.

2. Number of Habs national games in English increased from 15 to 40.

3. I now have access to any HNIC game as opposed to years prior where I was stuck with whatever is on CBC Montreal. My TV provider doesn't offer multiple CBC stations, unlike some others.

Plenty of reason to be excited in my case. And that's just for Montreal games. NHL coverage is Canada has increased tenfold overall.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I have some more information regarding telus and their ultra restrictive centre ice offerings.

Apparently, the issue is with the optik tv and not the satellite. As long as you are subscribed to telus satellite, you will be getting the same centre ice offerings as that of bell satellite.

If you have telus optik, there have been complaints that some or all of the Canadian teams do not get any coverage if there is no american broadcast of the game. I'm not sure why satellite would be less restrictive than optik, but it is worth re-mentioning that telus satellite pretty much re-sells bell satellite services.... But telus optik seemingly does not.

Last edited:

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
After looking for a few weeks, I found an HD Sportsnet East feed on XBMC. In the Mashup, there's a one242415 Italian and International stream. The Sportsnet East channel is in the Canada section.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
After looking for a few weeks, I found an HD Sportsnet East feed on XBMC. In the Mashup, there's a one242415 Italian and International stream. The Sportsnet East channel is in the Canada section.

Just as a word of caution, that doesn't guarantee you will see Habs games on it. It all the depends on where the source of the feed is.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Just as a word of caution, that doesn't guarantee you will see Habs games on it. It all the depends on where the source of the feed is.

True. Only East feed I've been able to find so far. Hopefully one of these blessed addons I've installed works when the time comes.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
True. Only East feed I've been able to find so far. Hopefully one of these blessed addons I've installed works when the time comes.

"NHL (GOTHAM ONLY)" channel on Mash Up should have all NHL games, including the Habs ones.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I have some more information regarding telus and their ultra restrictive centre ice offerings.

Apparently, the issue is with the optik tv and not the satellite. As long as you are subscribed to telus satellite, you will be getting the same centre ice offerings as that of bell satellite.

If you have telus optik, there have been complaints that some or all of the Canadian teams do not get any coverage if there is no american broadcast of the game. I'm not sure why satellite would be less restrictive than optik, but it is worth re-mentioning that telus satellite pretty much re-sells bell satellite services.... But telus optik seemingly does not.

I'm in Calgary and unfortunately am a subscriber to Optik. I'll wait until I see their CI lineup before I make any decision.

I really don't understand how the NHL and Roger's can allow them to charge the same price for a much inferior product.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I'm in Calgary and unfortunately am a subscriber to Optik. I'll wait until I see their CI lineup before I make any decision.

I really don't understand how the NHL and Roger's can allow them to charge the same price for a much inferior product.

I suppose its possible that somebody just plain goofed up... either the NHL or telus.

Could it be possible somehow that telus got an american version of centre ice for optik? Or are they all the same?

I'm kinda lucky because I still have telus satellite. I was going to switch to optik a couple months back but luckily I didn't. Only thing that stopped me from switching was the fact that they don't have the service available in my area yet.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
Where does it state in my contract or subscription that at certain times on certain days, the channel will be rendered useless for x amount of time?

Sorry when I pay for something, I expect that something to function 100% of the time.

Geez. I'm not going to argue with fans over this, since some of you are think I'm angry at you...

Christ almighty, god forbid someone complains here. Ffs.

You make it sound like your cable provider is blacking it out. Do you yell at the mail man when your bills arrive?

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
So Rogers gamcentre officially opened up for registration today.

However, the 60 dollar RDS game centre option is nowhere to be found.

Rogers.com/nhl

hardcorehabs

Feb 9, 2013
Saskatchewan
Was the RDS 60 games for 60$ just a rumor? Living in west canada I need to know my options and thought that would be maybe my best bet. Any info will help.

PS, I feel like a criminal paying these *******s money to watch games. They ruined everything good. F you Rogers.

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
Was the RDS 60 games for 60$ just a rumor? Living in west canada I need to know my options and thought that would be maybe my best bet. Any info will help.

PS, I feel like a criminal paying these *******s money to watch games. They ruined everything good. F you Rogers.

Scott Moore officially confirmed that. It's still up on the HIO site.

But like the previous poster said, Rogers forgot to tell their agents. They had no clue when I called.

It's like that Seinfeld episode where the car rental place knew how to take the reservation. They just didn't know how to hold the reservation.

Rogers knows how to make the offer. They just don't know how to give the offer.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011

Nobody except scott moore has heard of this so called 60 $ rds package.

Tricolore#20

PK PK PK
Jul 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Nobody except scott moore has heard of this so called 60 $ rds package.

I was on a Live Chat with a Rogers agent, and he posted this:

Starting January 2015, fans in Quebec with Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™ and a TVA Sports subscription from a participating cable provider can watch live French broadcasts of over 100 national games featuring all the Canadian teams. This October, fans outside of Montreal and Ottawa broadcast regions can also get up to 111 games broadcast live in French, including les Canadiens (60 games) and les Sénateurs (54 games) on both Rogers NHL GameCentre LIVE™ and on TV with Centre Ice®.

Starting in October, customers can also subscribe to a French-only package that includes select out-of-market regional games for $59.99 for the 2014 - 2015 season

Sounds like it will be available starting in October.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I am not going to bend over.

I already subscribe to these channels. I WILL NOT pay more to use the channel at certain times.

Would you agree to buying a product, and it working 50% of the time?

Been that way for 20 years now. Why are some of you acting like it's new?

vashira

Aug 2, 2014
BC and Shaw Direct

Hi all. I'm living in BC and shaw direct satellite is my provider. I spoke with Roger's today and was told that those living in Western Canada are not eligible for the GameCenter Live $60 deal. I was interested in the French broadcasting (especially RDS) but looks like we who live out west are screwed.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener

Thanks man. I'll look for it. Could be the answer to all the questions.

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
Holy ****!! On the phone with Bell right now. Dumb as posts. You can really tell a lot about a company by who they get to answer their phones.

Habsfan2731

Jan 2, 2014
Toronto
I live in Toronto, is Center Ice for TV the best option through Rogers? I don't want to miss any Habs games, as my grandfather wants to see them all too. What do I do? they don't have internet at their house & can't get gamecenter...

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
Holy ****!! On the phone with Bell right now. Dumb as posts. You can really tell a lot about a company by who they get to answer their phones.

I'm in the middle of a move, and called Bell because my current Cable provider isn't available where I'm moving. Couldn't understand half of what the guy was saying, guy didn't even know what Center ice was, didn't bother asking about the $60 french package. I felt like I was dealing with a call center in India.

Haburger

Jan 17, 2011
I'm in the middle of a move, and called Bell because my current Cable provider isn't available where I'm moving. Couldn't understand half of what the guy was saying, guy didn't even know what Center ice was, didn't bother asking about the $60 french package. I felt like I was dealing with a call center in India.

Rds isnt blacked out!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2