News Article: Habs set to limit Price's starts in 16/17 season

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Never been a fan of playing Price 60+ games, it's useless to play him this much especially if he's going to get injured/tired in the playoffs.

If the backup if playing well and winning some games like Budaj in 2013, don't be afraid to play him. Not only are we avoiding playing a cold goalie but Price is rested at the same time.

Hopefully Montoya will give us some good matches.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
No way that happens with MT there. Price will be playing more than that when MT's fighting for his job.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
i am a habs fan,

however i am not afraid to face the reality of this teams future, or lack there of,

i look at the team, players, coaches, GM etc from a neutral point of view, not some fan who is blinded by the truth

If the other posters are blinded by the truth, they are speaking the truth. So... if they are speaking the truth, what does that make what you are saying?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
Ha ha ha ha! This is so funny.

Therrien wins more games when Price is in nets. Therefore, Price will play a lot of games.

Anyone thinking our coach's thought process goes further is just being delusional.

It's the same with Markov. Play him 25 min. a night and win a bunch of games in October/November. See where that leads you come March/April.

HabsCowboysOwn

Wak Prescott the 40M/yr fraud, here we gooo!
Feb 28, 2008
Montréal
Ha ha ha ha! This is so funny.

Therrien wins more games when Price is in nets. Therefore, Price will play a lot of games.

Anyone thinking our coach's thought process goes further is just being delusional.

It's the same with Markov. Play him 25 min. a night and win a bunch of games in October/November. See where that leads you come March/April.

This. He'll play Price as much as ever because he knows how good he is at covering up his incompetence.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Holtby has one year with a loaded team.
The team got 120 points but they did kept scoring...
Team was second in GA but Holtby was 10th in SV% and 6th in GAA.

Back then, I remember Moog and Fuhr were supposed to be top goalies...
I mean seriously: With Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson, and others to give a win despite the goals that you let in...

Don't get me wrong, he is great but I am still waiting to see him getting four awards in the same season.
Still getting 48 wins was great.
Just curious how many wins would Brodeur would have gotten with the same team?
Probably over 50...

Lundqvist in more interesting for us as he was "preserved" since he was 29:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

Seems they kept him fresh for the PO.

I am ready to lose a few games without Price (having him on the bench will make the backup feel better BTW) as long as he is ready for PO.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Holtby has one year with a loaded eam.

Lundqvist in more interesting since he was 29:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/l/lundqhe01.html

Seems they kept him fresh for the PO.

I am ready to lose a few games without Price (having him on the bench will make the backup feel better BTW) as long as he is ready for PO.
There has to be some sort of strategy with Price's number of starts...that being said, it will be on MB and Waite to work on this, and let the clown coach know how to employ this strategy. Me-shell is not known for thinking outside da box...

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Makes total sense to go 55-60 especially because of the Montoya signing.
At this point Montoya, Condon and Lingren are all competing for that spot.

Montoya is the flavor of the day.
Does not mean he will be the one.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
Not very surprising, there are not many goalies nowadays that play over 60 GP other than Schneider.
There was 10 who did:
[URL="http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&report=goaliesummary&season=20152016&gameType=2&sort=gamesPlayed&aggregate=0&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,60&pos=G"http://www.nhl.com/stats/player?reportType=season&report=goaliesummary&season=20152016&gameType=2&sort=gamesPlayed&aggregate=0&filter=gamesPlayed,gte,60&pos=G[/URL]

But Schneider is not one of them. He did 58 games last year.
Luongo did 62 games...
Think about it, they traded him for nobody and Matthias (for a year) ans are still having this Cap recapture penalty hanging over their head...

Previous year he did 68 games and that's it.

get25

Oct 17, 2015
There has to be some sort of strategy with Price's number of starts...that being said, it will be on MB and Waite to work on this, and let the clown coach know how to employ this strategy. Me-shell is not known for thinking outside da box...
I would expect Price to get a lot of games when the season starts and a lot of games when the season ends (to get in shape for the PO).

So if there is a slow down to happen it would have to be December-February.

But again, it may depend on the season.

Also they may want him to rest a few games before PO.

Waite and trainers will probably drive that show.

With the WC, it is going to be a long season for CP.
Fail to see him playing 5-6 WC games and still get only 60 games (meaning 54-55 NHL games)...

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

I think the correct spelling of the term is "outside the box", and in fact I never heard MT use that term.

Is there some special meaning to "Me-shell" that I've missed? I get "Bouge-rien" and "BargainBin" as they refer to certain characteristics of Bergevin's work, at least in the opinion of many here.

So, is the Me-shell a reference to the system of play known as a "shell"? If so, I would say it applies more to a guy like Jacques Martin who used a "bend but not break" strategy, rather than Therrien, who uses a swarm and aggressive pursuit strategy.

I have no problem with intelligent criticism of Therrien and by extension Bergevin, since he did not fire his foxhole buddy, but I think the criticism would be more effective if it were based on substance and not misplaced puns. Ymmv.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Back then, I remember Moog and Fuhr were supposed to be top goalies...
I mean seriously: With Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Anderson, and others to give a win despite the goals that you let in...

You forgot the "Bill Ranford is the best goalie in the NHL" days

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
At this point Montoya, Condon and Lingren are all competing for that spot.

Montoya is the flavor of the day.
Does not mean he will be the one.

I'd say he has an edge start of a guy who has 1 NHL year of experience or 0 NHL year of experience.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
No way that happens with MT there. Price will be playing more than that when MT's fighting for his job.

MT is a stubborn son of a *****

MB is a sap who does whatever MT says...MB has no balls

MT is going to RUN Price into the ground like he did Markov
MT will also overuse Weber causing Weber to under perform

We are (mod) as long as MT is still coach...unfortunately our window is 2-3 years here....If MT is still coach at the end of this year that means he will also be the coach for the 2017-2018 season....Our window is almost closed...i dont see a long cup run within the next 3 years

3 years from now i see a blown up team Patches, Price Weber maybe gone???? for picks or young players...

We will build around...

Beaulieu
the 2 Gally's...
Sergachyov
Noah Juulsen

hudon
Mcarron

And we will see...

Last edited by a moderator:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Based on the number of points by which the Habs missed the playoffs, I'd say even a restricted season for Price should enable them to qualify.

Bring Bak Damphousse

Fire Bergevin...into the Sun
May 27, 2002
Canada
We've already seen just how good this team is without Price. I fully expect Therrien (whos coaching strategy is let Price win us games) to start Price as much as he possibly can. Its already been said, but we were also told they would limit Markovs ice time...how'd that work out again?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
MT is a stubborn son of a *****

MB is a sap who does whatever MT says...MB has no balls

MT is going to RUN Price into the ground like he did Markov
MT will also overuse Weber causing Weber to under perform

We are (mod) as long as MT is still coach...unfortunately our window is 2-3 years here....If MT is still coach at the end of this year that means he will also be the coach for the 2017-2018 season....Our window is almost closed...i dont see a long cup run within the next 3 years

3 years from now i see a blown up team Patches, Price Weber maybe gone???? for picks or young players...

We will build around...

Beaulieu
the 2 Gally's...
Sergachyov
Noah Juulsen

hudon
Mcarron

And we will see...

:amazed:........he just traded Subban.........I'd say he's got the biggest cahones in the city

AshyHabs

Biceps>Brains
Dec 27, 2015
Montreal
If Price truly remains uninjured...he is one of if not the best goalies in the league. I would never trade a Holtby for a healthy Price. Never.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
They say they want to limit his starts, and that's something I can get behind.. But what happens if the team starts losing a lot and Therrien decides to inevitably over play Price to cover for his difficiencies again?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad