News Article: Habs set to limit Price's starts in 16/17 season

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Therrien can't help himself. He uses Markov like a rented mule. Once Price shows he's good for it game in and game out, I expect an incremental use that will bring him close to his normal levels from past years. Therrien's not going to get another opportunity to redeem himself, it's go time.
Ya, and Waite said around 60 games. In 14-15 he played 66..Sure, there's a difference, but it's quite small, I don't see how it's even worth mentioning.
Now had he said 50-55 games, then okay. I can see how they'd really be limiting his starts.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Therrien can't help himself. He uses Markov like a rented mule. Once Price shows he's good for it game in and game out, I expect an incremental use that will bring him close to his normal levels from past years. Therrien's not going to get another opportunity to redeem himself, it's go time.

MT would be such a nightmare as a baseball coach. He would keep pitchers there for 150 pitches ;).

RC51

Dec 10, 2005
mtl
But do you play pro sports for 65 games a year? Not saying Price hasn't completely recovered but I'm also not betting my house that he has.
so you comment only works if you are willing to BET your house on anything right now in the NHL. So go ahead tell us all what exactly you would BET YOUR HOUSE ON. let me help you, The Pens won the cup last year, would you BET YOUR HOUSE that they make the playoffs this year? If the Habs know just one thing, they know (mod) Happens.

Last edited by a moderator:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
... I think they'll be in a comfortable enough spot to only play Price 60 games. It would be nice for him to go into the postseason a bit rested. Plus, with a baby at home, he'll need extra rest.

JOKE ALERT (pretend this is a comedy fest and we can say things we don't really believe just cuz they're funny to some people....)

We now have the true explanation for the Subban trade. Down in the foxhole, Sergeant Mike was guffawing loudly about how they got rid of l'harceleur, this while taking a bath and splashing water everywhere, including all over Captain Mark's suit. At the same time, and with the poor acoustics in the foxhole, a rather annoyed Captain Mark thought he overheard PFC Stephan say something like "Price's play might suffer because of the baby we own". So he called up his friend from another battalion, Captain David, and arranged to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Makes total sense to go 55-60 especially because of the Montoya signing.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Let's hope the team can manage to match its former "success" they have had with Price carrying the heavy load. The aura that this team was actually good is now broken, the roster has been exposed and it will take some time to earn back the respect from around the league.

Keeping Price fresh is incredibly important, if he goes down with another injury last season's colossal failure will repeat.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Let's hope the team can manage to match its former "success" they have had with Price carrying the heavy load. The aura that this team was actually good is now broken, the roster has been exposed and it will take some time to earn back the respect from around the league.

Not really honestly most people understand that going from a good goalie to an awful one will have this kind of effect.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
How well Montoya will play a big part in how much Price plays. When Price played 72 games in 2010-11 it was in much part because Alex Auld couldn't get the job down and even in Price's 2014-15 Tokarski wasn't reliable in net to give Price any real rest. Like others have said if Price is standing on his head and his backups aren't getting the job done then I expect him to start in the higher 60's in terms of games.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Not really honestly most people understand that going from a good goalie to an awful one will have this kind of effect.

We as fans also found out the true heart of this team, by witnessing how the supposed core guys like Pacioretty and Plekanec shamefully reacted when placed in the face of adversity. Let me tell you, it doesn't bode too well for our future chances.

Before last season we had what was thought to be an above average team + the worlds best goaltender.

Now that supposed above average team has been exposed and we're left with a great goaltender coming off yet another injury. There will be an extra spring in the opposition step playing the habs at the start of this season as opposed to the beginning of last. We are definitely vulnerable from the get go, a couple bad streaks to begin the season coupled with the proven weak minded individuals whom I pointed out above, and we could be set to see yet another painful spiral to the bottom of the standings.

It's not like the coach has the ability or the intelligence to motivate the troops either.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
We as fans also found out the true heart of this team, by witnessing how the supposed core guys like Pacioretty and Plekanec shamefully reacted when placed in the face of adversity. Let me tell you, it doesn't bode too well for our future chances.

Before last season we had what was thought to be an above average team + the worlds best goaltender.

Now that supposed above average team has been exposed and we're left with a great goaltender coming off yet another injury. There will be an extra spring in the opposition step playing the habs at the start of this season as opposed to the beginning of last. We are definitely vulnerable from the get go, a couple bad streaks to begin the season coupled with the proven weak minded individuals whom I pointed out above, and we could be set to see yet another painful spiral to the bottom of the standings.

It's not like the coach has the ability or the intelligence to motivate the troops either.

Pacioretty is not a weak-minded individual. The guy has fought back from some significant injuries, one near-fatal, and he's back out there competing and potting 30+goals per season.

Plekanec is a strong competitor as well, opponents hate playing against him.

We need the right orchestra conductor and we'll be fine.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
60 games is perfect.

Then when we get to the playoffs Price can play every game and still be in playing shape.

This is also good regarding his career longevity. The habs obviously want to keep Price until the day he retires, and they want him to retire at 40 and not 32 with injuries.

Not saying he's injury prone, he hurt his knee and he's back 100% - Before that his injuries were freak injuries.

walsy37

Jul 12, 2006
i am a habs fan,

however i am not afraid to face the reality of this teams future, or lack there of,

i look at the team, players, coaches, GM etc from a neutral point of view, not some fan who is blinded by the truth

and your statements, based upon nothing more than your opinion is the truth? We have no idea what sort of season he will have, he may still be the best goalie or he may not. We just don't know.

OTH, I can already smell the MB/MT spin machine working. Team wasn't as good because of an injury to a key player.

Bottom line in this MB/MT world. Habs will go as far as Carey can take them and carry them on his knee....

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Pacioretty is not a weak-minded individual. The guy has fought back from some significant injuries, one near-fatal, and he's back out there competing and potting 30+goals per season.

Plekanec is a strong competitor as well, opponents hate playing against him.

We need the right orchestra conductor and we'll be fine.

All the credit in the world to Pacioretty for coming back from his injury and becoming a great goalscorer. Having said that, it doesn't change the fact that he is extremely streaky and doesn't really have the ability to dig deep or take control of a hockey game when it matters the most. Something appeared off for him last season, it's possible he may have had a lingering injury but I just cannot speculate on that. What I witnessed was a sulking individual that had to be carried by AHL callups and was finally woken up-at the end of the season when the pressure was off-by Galchenyuk.

When Pacioretty is in full confidence and he's shooting on all cylinders and skating the way he can off the rush, the guy is a real handful for the opposition defence. What I'm talking about is when he's faced with adversity and things aren't going well with the team. His goalscoring ability has paved an NHL career for Desharnais, we know he has the ability. The question is, can he do in the face of adversity? Last season has raised many question marks.

I'll give Pacioretty the benefit of the doubt coming into this upcoming season because he hasn't really shown this quitter mentality in the past, but I believe Pleks is a lost cause when it comes to having any sort of reasonable expectations for him in big games.

Back to the thread topic though.

As long as Price returns close to his 2014-15 season he'll make everything better. MT's job will become safe again, Begevin will appear to be a genius with the PK trade and all the players who can't handle the pressure of losing will probably be able to perform again.

Last edited:

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
Good. There's no reason why he should play more. Montoya should be good for at least 20 games.

oh boy here we go with "the best goalie in hockey"

he ain't even close anymore and never will be again,

Holtby is miles ahead, in his prime, and injury free,

you think washington would trade Holtby for our "best goalie in hockey"?, one for one?.....not a chance

your not a professional goaltender, and a knee (or groin) injury is the worst injury a goaltender can possibly have

LOL. I can't tell if this is a joke post, but Price is the best goalie in the world. Hands down. Not sure what planet you're on, but he is the best down here on Earth.

Perrah

Jul 2, 2009

Its one thing for the fans to know it, it is another for the players. Their whole premise starting last year was to prove they were more than price and that sure bombed fast.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
oh boy here we go with "the best goalie in hockey"

he ain't even close anymore and never will be again,

Holtby is miles ahead, in his prime, and injury free,

you think washington would trade Holtby for our "best goalie in hockey"?, one for one?.....not a chance

your not a professional goaltender, and a knee (or groin) injury is the worst injury a goaltender can possibly have
Hey, gotta give your a 10/10 on the troll meter!!!

Price may not be able to do a repeat of his god like season, but he is one of the very best in the league, and will probably play close to 60 games, plus the playoffs.

I get that every one on here, gets to share their opinions, but seriously man...? Price must have stole your girl, or something...;)

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Makes total sense to go 55-60 especially because of the Montoya signing.

I said that Montoya should get 30 games in early July and one/several posters basically laughed at me. They signed Montoya, a guy with a decent NHL reputation to take some of the weight of Carey Prices knees, it can get very tiring carrying a sad sacked coach and organization on your back, the knees have to be getting tired.:laugh:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I said that Montoya should get 30 games in early July and one/several posters basically laughed at me. They signed Montoya, a guy with a decent NHL reputation to take some of the weight of Carey Prices knees, it can get very tiring carrying a sad sacked coach and organization on your back, the knees have to be getting tired.:laugh:

Yeah I remember people laughing at that. Just like people laughing at me too when I said that we should have gone with another goalie instead of Condon in the first place. But was told that Condon was just fine......until Montoya was just hired. So I guess he wasn't fine.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
Yeah I remember people laughing at that. Just like people laughing at me too when I said that we should have gone with another goalie instead of Condon in the first place. But was told that Condon was just fine......until Montoya was just hired. So I guess he wasn't fine.

If Price goes down again, the habs are screwed. Montoya or no Montoya... screwed either way.

Having said that, I still prefer Montoya to Condon.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Montoya still has earn his spot in camp. That may not happen as if it's a given. Condon is a year older, a whole lot more experienced than 12 months ago and has had a summer to reflect on what went wrong for him personally. He had some superb moments early on in his relief of Price. I wouldn't count him out off the top.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

That's not the impression I get. It appears to me that most people attribute some responsibility on Therrien. None of his vets stepped up for him when the team started to downspiral. Did he lose the room? Bergevin made two dressing room forays to no avail. Therrien also nailed Subban and Condon during his pressers, I wonder how well that went over.

Yes, he didn't have Price, however, for a team to produce its worst historical cratering, it can't just be on account of the goalie. This team was built like a Jenga game -- you can't have a full out implosion just because of one player.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That's not the impression I get. It appears to me that most people attribute some responsibility on Therrien. None of his vets stepped up for him when the team started to downspiral. Did he lose the room? Bergevin made two dressing room forays to no avail. Therrien also nailed Subban and Condon during his pressers, I wonder how well that went over.

Yes, he didn't have Price, however, for a team to produce its worst historical cratering, it can't just be on account of the goalie. This team was built like a Jenga game -- you can't have a full out implosion just because of one player.
We will have to win in spite of the coach...the guys in the room are tiring of Therrien le Therrible....

Muller is going to have to save us...

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
well he usually plays around 65 games so.. not a big difference

he'll probably play 62-63 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad