Proposal: Habs Selling

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Armia is a good, young, 3rd lienr w/ grit that can give you around 30pts a year. Steve Mason's contract wasn,t a 6.5M$ contract either, AND WIN isn't a direct rival...

Therefore, I do not see Bergevin helping the Leafs and, again, getting back a injury prone tweener like Johnsson to do so.

I literally said the Winnipeg deal ISN’t comparable

It doesn’t matter anyway because Marleau won’t waive for MTL

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Armia is a good, young, 3rd lienr w/ grit that can give you around 30pts a year. Steve Mason's contract wasn,t a 6.5M$ contract either, AND WIN isn't a direct rival...

Therefore, I do not see Bergevin helping the Leafs and, again, getting back a injury prone tweener like Johnsson to do so.

injury prone "tweener"

15g/31pts in 51 games this year as a rookie

as many goals as lehkonen,armia and agostino combined. not bad for a tweener.

seriously how dumb is it to call a rookie putting up a 50pt pace a tweener? take off the rouge colored shades bud

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
How does acquiring a young, 24-year-old cost effective forward not help us? A forward who has offensive talent. A forward who has 30+ points this season WITHOUT getting a ton of ice-time. I think you're crazy. And Marleau isn't great anymore, but he's solid enough to play on our 4th line.

How is he better than Armia? You realize Johnson has half the goals of Armia's career (213 games) in 50 games this season? And it's not like Johnson is a trainwreck defensively, he's a hard working player.

I don't think you have seen Johnson play enough. Dude is a legit prospect with high end Top-6 talent.

this

that being said the leafs aren't dumb enough to trade johnsson for 1 year of cap relief. marleau only gets 1.25 in real cash next year, im sure he would welcome a move back to cali and a team would be heavily interested in a discounted marleau + a 2nd for a warm body

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I would say add Armia to the list, too.

At this point Niemi is upgrade on Smith, so if the Flames really strike out on any other goalie, they might take him for a 7th.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
HAHAHA

you want our top prospect to take the contract of a guy you only have to pay 1.25 mil...for one year?

by the way look at mackenzies projected leafs roster. they can easily sign the kids. they just don't have room to keep gardiner basically

Of course if you think Kapanen will sign @ 2M and Marner @ 9 it will fit...

But there's no way Marner goes on a single digit contract number and, if Kapanen isn't an idiot, he's looking @ a 4M contract after his increased productivity this year.

Therefore, NO, TML won't be able to keep everyone

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
this

that being said the leafs aren't dumb enough to trade johnsson for 1 year of cap relief. marleau only gets 1.25 in real cash next year, im sure he would welcome a move back to cali and a team would be heavily interested in a discounted marleau + a 2nd for a warm body

again, A VERY LOW 2nd. Even tho he's owed just 1.25M, he still coutns for 6.25 against Leafs cap. THAt is worth soemthing more then a 2nd to other GM's.

Thinking you can get out of it w/out giving a 1st round pick is totally delusionnal

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
I would say add Armia to the list, too.

At this point Niemi is upgrade on Smith, so if the Flames really strike out on any other goalie, they might take him for a 7th.

Problem is Smith would have to go back the other way for that to work and that would probably cost Calgary.

So that makes it not really worth for a marginal (if that) upgrade in Niemi. Would only make sense for a bigger name

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
injury prone "tweener"

seriously how dumb is it to call a rookie putting up a 50pt pace a tweener? take off the rouge colored shades bud

Johnsson isn't 20yo, he's 24. Fact is, w/ his injury record, he's probably in the middle of his prime years as we speak...

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
GM's arent there to help each other out.

They're here for their teams. The other 30GMs in the league aren't blind either and they can see that the TML aren't going to be able to sign Matthews, Kapanen and Johnsson w/out shredding some salary.

Why would they help the Leafs and get a minimal pick (2nd rounder) or a meh prospect for it? No reason at all. They arnt there to make friends, they have a business to run and ahve to make it sucessful

GM's often help each other out. See it frequently. Other teams fans are more concerned about the Leafs cap than we are. Trade Nylander for below market value and the whole thing is fixed. Thats the worst case scenario.

Marleau isn't even that bad of a salary dump. Can still score and only has one year left. Barely negative equity at all.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Problem is Smith would have to go back the other way for that to work and that would probably cost Calgary.

So that makes it not really worth for a marginal (if that) upgrade in Niemi. Would only make sense for a bigger name

Not my money, but I would take Smith back and a 5th this year. Though I just look and don't think you guys have one, so a 4th in 2020 ?

Retain 50% and ship Smith off to some other team for another 5th.

However if Calgary is standing pat, I would say dont make it. This trade just helps to give the Flamss more deadline space and they get a very slight upgrade on Smith.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I haven't seen one good argument for the Habs to take on a +35 yo contract. We don't need Johnsson.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Not interested in the players you have available, but if Marleau would waive, what's the cost for Montreal to take his final year?
How about you keep Marleau and the rest of any garbage your willing to part with and we'll gladly leave the Leafs out of this thread since they seem to derail most threads on this board.

Steve Shutt

Don't Poke the Bear
May 31, 2007
marleau only gets 1.25 in real cash next year,

Actually according to this article:
Trying To Magic Away The Patrick Marleau Contract

"After this season ends, there will remain $4.25M to be paid on the contract. $3M will be in a signing bonus on July 1st, 2019, after which Marleau will only be owed $1.25M in real dollars for the remainder of the year".

Looks like Toronto will have to trade him after his July 1st bonus is paid, otherwise they'll have to make it really enticing for some other team to take the cap hit and the 4.25M owed

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Why would they bother helping the Leafs if

Sandin and Liljegren are out of the pciture (only 2 prospects worth talking in the Leafs case)
Their picks suck

Really don't see a team gettign Marleau only to get a pick in the 25-31 range, or the likes of a career AHLer like Bracco
That’s fine. You’re entitled to your opinion.

Just out of curiousity what makes you think Bracco is a career AHL’er. He has progressed really nice this year and looks to be making a case to stay next year with Toronto Maple Leafs.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Not interested in the players you have available, but if Marleau would waive, what's the cost for Montreal to take his final year?
A good B level prospect? I'm not all that familiar with the Leafs prospect pool aside from Sandin and Liljegren who would be an over payment. Conditional pick based on Marleau's performance next season (examples - if he gets 30 points or less 2nd rounder, 40pts or less 3rd rounder, more than 40pts 4th rounder type thing)? Maybe a B level prospect and a conditional pick type deal? Do you think Toronto would be willing to retain some salary?

Last edited:

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Andrew Ladd is coming back from injury, but earlier in the year he actually looked halfway decent. Scored in his first Conditioning stint with the Sound Tigers as well. He would be a dump for the Islanders but not completely useless for MTL since they’re most definitely in the hunt
Do you think they would do a bad contract for a bad contract here? Alzner for Ladd as a base? Alzner having the slightly lower cap hit and one less year of term.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
injury prone "tweener"

Agostino is in the AHL

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
I think he’s exaggerating his point with his ask for sure but I think he’s right in saying that it will cost Toronto a premium to do this type of deal with Montreal.

Same division, biggest rival, etc.

Not really comparable to the move they made with Winnipeg last year
I agree with his opinion about Montreal. I think Montreal has every right to ask for a top prospect.

I don’t agree with his opinion that all the GM’s would only be looking for top prospects or premium players to help out Toronto. Most GM’s aren’t concerned with Toronto’s cap problems. If they can find a good deal with Toronto in taking picks and it prospects for cap space I think they do it to help their team out. I’ll use Marleau as an example( I don’t see him going anywhere). If he were traded to say Phoenix for a couple of picks(2nd and a 4th as example) to take on 1 more year of his contract, I could see hem doing it. Or zaitsev for that matter. There is always teams looking to take chances on a player.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
this

How are you gonna fit Marleau and Johnson, Marner, and Kapanen.

Johnson is going to get more money than you think.

John B

Nov 19, 2016
Obviously not a contender, but could you see a deal that sends Brandon Manning to the Canadiens? Oilers can add a small asset maybe.
Define small add. Mid rounder pick/b level prospect? I like Samorukov, but I'm not sure how the Oilers value him. Would that be fair or over payment?

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Obviously not a contender, but could you see a deal that sends Brandon Manning to the Canadiens? Oilers can add a small asset maybe.
for what ? We have no need for him. none. unless the small asset is the value, montreal isnt interested,

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Do you think they would do a bad contract for a bad contract here? Alzner for Ladd as a base? Alzner having the slightly lower cap hit and one less year of term.
Nah, I don’t think that would work.

Fact of the matter is, the Isles have more need for a winger than D. Their D-corps is 7 deep at the NHL right now with Some prospects knocking on the door while their current weakness is at wing. Isles would move Ladd to free up cap space for bigger moves to bolster their offense, as opposed to swapping bad contracts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad