Proposal: Habs Selling

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I would take Johnson and Marleau for a late round draft pick without a question.

I mean, yeah, Jonsson would fit like hell on the Habs. Julien would love him. He's a better all round player than Lehkonen.

Who cares if we have too many wingers? Upgrade then trade. So with Jonsson maybe Habs trade Lehkonen. Plus Shaw & Byron get injured a lot, so having winger depth is not a bad thing.

I'd do that trade too.

I'd also do it for a 2020 2nd and Filip Kral. It's one year.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
How does acquiring a young, 24-year-old cost effective forward not help us? A forward who has offensive talent. A forward who has 30+ points this season WITHOUT getting a ton of ice-time. I think you're crazy. And Marleau isn't great anymore, but he's solid enough to play on our 4th line.

How is he better than Armia? You realize Johnson has half the goals of Armia's career (213 games) in 50 games this season?

I guess we value our cap space pretty differently... At that pojnt I'D rather throw 9M$ @ Stone on the UFA market and getting someone who'll actually help us on our 1st line vs trading for a bottom liner and a cap dump...

Evans can easily become our 4th line C in a not so far away future.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I mean, yeah, Jonsson would fit like hell on the Habs. Julien would love him. He's a better all round player than Lehkonen.

Who cares if we have too many wingers? Upgrade then trade. So with Jonsson maybe Habs trade Lehkonen. Plus Shaw & Byron get injured a lot, so having winger depth is not a bad thing.

I'd do that trade too.

I'd also do it for a 2020 2nd and Filip Kral. It's one year.
Yup, and Toronto is going to find help somewhere in the league. So why not improve our club as well?

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I guess we value our cap space pretty differently... At that pojnt I'D rather throw 9M$ @ Stone on the UFA market and getting someone who'll actually help us on our 1st line vs trading for a bottom liner and a cap dump...

Evans can easily become our 4th line C in a not so far away future.
bottom liner.. holy shit.. you have no idea what you're talking about.. if he's a bottom liner than Byron, Shaw (despite a decent start this season), Lehkonen, Armia, etc are all bottom liners .. so we might as well just toss them all away.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
You'd help the Leafs for a marginal prospect and a late 2nd? Get reel... Even if they are RHD, what bad can it do? Easier to trade after than a late 2nd and a C prospect

2020 is a going to be a good and deep draft. Someone is going to step up. It might as well as be us.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
bottom liner.. holy ****.. you have no idea what you're talking about.. if he's a bottom liner than Byron, Shaw (despite a decent start this season), Lehkonen, Armia, etc are all bottom liners .. so we might as well just toss them all away.

I personnaly think Byron, Armia and Lehkhonen are, somehwat, better, or at least similar, to Johnsson...

so again, why bother helping the Leafs getting rid of 6.5M$ on their salary cap, and help them maybe find defensive help w/ that gained leverage, if it's for a player we already have enough of?

Johnsson wouldn't play in our top6. It's just not worth it. I'd rather have Mark Stone than MArleau and Johnsson.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
I personnaly think Byron, Armia and Lehkhonen are, somehwat, better, or at least similar, to Johnsson...

so again, why bother helping the Leafs getting rid of 6.5M$ on their salary cap, and help them maybe find defensive help w/ that gained leverage, if it's for a player we already have enough of?

Johnsson wouldn't play in our top6. It's just not worth it. I'd rather have Mark Stone than MArleau and Johnsson.
How? Do you even know what kind of player Johnson is? This kid was dominating the Swedish Elite League at 19 and 20 years old. He came over, got accustomed to the AHL and then dominated it. And then he joined the NHL and has put up better numbers than all 3 of those players you mentioned in limited minutes.

15 goals this season in limited minutes. You know where that would rank him on our club?

5th.

Behind Tatar, Drouin, Domi, and Gallagher - all who have a shit ton more ice-time than him.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
How does acquiring a young, 24-year-old cost effective forward not help us? A forward who has offensive talent. A forward who has 30+ points this season WITHOUT getting a ton of ice-time. I think you're crazy. And Marleau isn't great anymore, but he's solid enough to play on our 4th line.

How is he better than Armia? You realize Johnson has half the goals of Armia's career (213 games) in 50 games this season? And it's not like Johnson is a trainwreck defensively, he's a hard working player.

I don't think you have seen Johnson play enough. Dude is a legit prospect with high end Top-6 talent.
Correct

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Liljegren.

Habs sure aren't helping the Leafs ge out of their cap hell and keep their young core together w/out a SIGNIFICANT return.

Same for the other 29GM in the league.
This is ridiculous. Most teams don’t care about Toronto’s supposed cap problems. They worry about their own issues. If they can get an asset or 2 (which isn’t a top prospect from Toronto) they will do what they can to upgrade their team, by getting picks or other prospects or cap itself. GM’s help each other out.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It is. It's too bad you guys have cap issues because he's going to be special. But signing Nylander to that deal and now having to sign Marner, Kapanen, and Johnson at once is a scary thought.

If I'm being honest, and this is following Johnson since he was in Sweden, I think he's better than Nylander when you talk about a complete game.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
This is ridiculous. Most teams don’t care about Toronto’s supposed cap problems. They worry about their own issues. If they can get an asset or 2 (which isn’t a top prospect from Toronto) they will do what they can to upgrade their team, by getting picks or other prospects or cap itself. GM’s help each other out.
That's somewhat true. If you're in the same division and only a handful of points separate you, it's not going to be an easy trade.

That said, it depends on where Marleau would even waive to go.

Reactions: shortfuze

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Andrew Ladd is coming back from injury, but earlier in the year he actually looked halfway decent. Scored in his first Conditioning stint with the Sound Tigers as well. He would be a dump for the Islanders but not completely useless for MTL since they’re most definitely in the hunt

Nice try

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
It is. It's too bad you guys have cap issues because he's going to be special. But signing Nylander to that deal and now having to sign Marner, Kapanen, and Johnson at once is a scary thought.

If I'm being honest, and this is following Johnson since he was in Sweden, I think he's better than Nylander when you talk about a complete game.

Disagree, Nylander is elite but aj has way more heart and passion. My only knock on the guy is he might be injury prone or play a little reckless which could lead to injuries. He has great talent though and will probably be a cap casualty unfortunately.

Reactions: Natey

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
That's somewhat true. If you're in the same division and only a handful of points separate you, it's not going to be an easy trade.

That said, it depends on where Marleau would even waive to go.
i understand that. With Montreal being a rival I could see them asking for a premium.

I was more so referring to the poster saying that 29 other GM’s would do the same thing, which isn’t true.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
i understand that. With Montreal being a rival I could see them asking for a premium.

I was more so referring to the poster saying that 29 other GM’s would do the same thing, which isn’t true.
This is correct. I hope Marleau only wants to come here so we can get something like Johnson lol

Trading those two is probably enough cap space to sign Marner.

I'm also so nice, that if you agreed, I'd let you keep them for playoffs and do it the first day of the off-season. :P

Last edited:

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

GM's arent there to help each other out.

They're here for their teams. The other 30GMs in the league aren't blind either and they can see that the TML aren't going to be able to sign Matthews, Kapanen and Johnsson w/out shredding some salary.

Why would they help the Leafs and get a minimal pick (2nd rounder) or a meh prospect for it? No reason at all. They arnt there to make friends, they have a business to run and ahve to make it sucessful

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
GM's arent there to help each other out.

They're here for their teams. The other 30GMs in the league aren't blind either and they can see that the TML aren't going to be able to sign Matthews, Kapanen and Johnsson w/out shredding some salary.

Why would they help the Leafs and get a minimal pick (2nd rounder) or a meh prospect for it? No reason at all. They arnt there to make friends, they have a business to run and ahve to make it sucessful
But GM’s do help each other out by taking bad contracts for picks, prospects and cap space.

Like you said. They are their to help their own team. They don’t have to squeeze Toronto to upgrade their own team.

If you want to believe that than by all means go ahead. But I don’t think you’re right.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
But GM’s do help each other out by taking bad contracts for picks, prospects and cap space.

Like you said. They are their to help their own team. They don’t have to squeeze Toronto to upgrade their own team.

If you want to believe that than by all means go ahead. But I don’t think you’re right.

Why would they bother helping the Leafs if

Sandin and Liljegren are out of the pciture (only 2 prospects worth talking in the Leafs case)
Their picks suck

Really don't see a team gettign Marleau only to get a pick in the 25-31 range, or the likes of a career AHLer like Bracco

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

I think he’s exaggerating his point with his ask for sure but I think he’s right in saying that it will cost Toronto a premium to do this type of deal with Montreal.

Same division, biggest rival, etc.

Not really comparable to the move they made with Winnipeg last year

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I think he’s exaggerating his point with his ask for sure but I think he’s right in saying that it will cost Toronto a premium to do this type of deal with Montreal.

Same division, biggest rival, etc.

Not really comparable to the move they made with Winnipeg last year

Armia is a good, young, 3rd lienr w/ grit that can give you around 30pts a year. Steve Mason's contract wasn,t a 6.5M$ contract either, AND WIN isn't a direct rival...

Therefore, I do not see Bergevin helping the Leafs and, again, getting back a injury prone tweener like Johnsson to do so.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Liljegren.

Habs sure aren't helping the Leafs ge out of their cap hell and keep their young core together w/out a SIGNIFICANT return.

Same for the other 29GM in the league.

HAHAHA

you want our top prospect to take the contract of a guy you only have to pay 1.25 mil...for one year?

by the way look at mackenzies projected leafs roster. they can easily sign the kids. they just don't have room to keep gardiner basically

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->