Proposal: Habs Selling

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I believe Bergevin is going to stick to his guns and not trade any prospects and high picks for anything at the deadline. There could be a deal with a player with term, that would be an upgrade maybe.

The only other option is taking on camp dumps for asset retrieval.

So with that said I wonder what middle of the pack picks we could get for:

Jordie Benn
Christian Folin
Charles Hudon
Mike Reilly

Also what could be some cap dumps from “contenders” looking for salary gained to upgrade their team more.? No Lucic. I’m wondering specifically to contenders.

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
Andrew Ladd is coming back from injury, but earlier in the year he actually looked halfway decent. Scored in his first Conditioning stint with the Sound Tigers as well. He would be a dump for the Islanders but not completely useless for MTL since they’re most definitely in the hunt

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I believe Bergevin is going to stick to his guns and not trade any prospects and high picks for anything at the deadline. There could be a deal with a player with term, that would be an upgrade maybe.

Jordie Benn
Christian Folin
Charles Hudon
Mike Reilly

Also what could be some cap dumps from “contenders” looking for salary gained to upgrade their team more.? No Lucic. I’m wondering specifically to contenders.
Not interested in the players you have available, but if Marleau would waive, what's the cost for Montreal to take his final year?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Not interested in the players you have available, but if Marleau would waive, what's the cost for Montreal to take his final year?

Liljegren.

Habs sure aren't helping the Leafs ge out of their cap hell and keep their young core together w/out a SIGNIFICANT return.

Same for the other 29GM in the league.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Liljegren.

Habs sure aren't helping the Leafs ge out of their cap hell and keep their young core together w/out a SIGNIFICANT return.

Oh....so the OP's idea isn't the plan...got it.:thumbu:

Reactions: Gecklund

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Id imagine the leafs probably won’t want to pay whatever any team would want to take that last year of Marleau’s contract.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Oh....so the OP's idea isn't the plan...got it.:thumbu:

Yeah he's looking for cap dumps from contenders.

MArleau is a cap dump.

OP never said he'd take a cap dump for free. OP's looking for a similar deal to the Steve Mason trade we made w/ Winnipeg.

Unfortunately Habs don't need anymore wingers (Kapanen) and do not need other 3-4th liners (Johnsson, Brown).

The price for the Habs to take on that contract is based on 2 things

1- Division Rival
2- Helping Toronto keeping their team together w/out losing anythign valuable

A it is now, TOR will HAVE to lose at least one of their young talent to be able to fit everyone under their core. They'll have to trade one of Zaitsev or Marleau to do so. And in both cases, Liljegren or Sandin will be coming the other way. ZERO chances Leafs get away with giving a 2nd pick or bottom liners like Johnsson

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011

MArleau is a cap dump.

OP never said he'd take a cap dump for free. OP's looking for a similar deal to the Steve Mason trade we made w/ Winnipeg.

Unfortunately Habs don't need anymore wingers (Kapanen) and do not need other 3-4th liners (Johnsson, Brown).

1- Division Rival

A it is now, TOR will HAVE to lose at least one of their young talent to be able to fit everyone under their core. They'll have to trade one of Zaitsev or Marleau to do so. And in both cases, Liljegren or Sandin will be coming the other way. ZERO chances Leafs get away with giving a 2nd pick or bottom liners like Johnsson
Lol...no. Liljegren nor Sandin will be moved unless it's Zairsev you are taking.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Lol...no. Liljegren nor Sandin will be moved unless it's Zairsev you are taking.
Therefore, we aren't trading with the Leafs. We do not, nor should we, help the Leafs fit everyone under their cap except if something usefull is coming back and making sure thet what's comign back hurts our division rival.

A very late 1st in 2020 isn't usefull and doesn't hurt te Leafs, Connor Brown and Andreas Johnsson would be redeundant in Habs uniform as we already have 6 wingers better then them, sam for Kapanen i'd say who's gonna ask for North of 4M anyways due to his increase offnsive produciton this year (mainly linked to the fact he played w/ AM.

Therfore, the only incentive Habs have to help the Leafs are either Sandin or Liljegren.

You're not happy? Great, we do not care! Thanks for doing business w/ us and good luck fixing that D w/out any cap leverage!

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Therefore, we aren't trading with the Leafs. We do not, nor should we, help the Leafs fit everyone under their cap except if something usefull is coming back and making sure thet what's comign back hurts our division rival.

A very late 1st in 2020 isn't usefull and doesn't hurt te Leafs, Connor Brown and Andreas Johnsson would be redeundant in Habs uniform as we already have 6 wingers better then them, sam for Kapanen i'd say who's gonna ask for North of 4M anyways due to his increase offnsive produciton this year (mainly linked to the fact he played w/ AM.

Therfore, the only incentive Habs have to help the Leafs are either Sandin or Liljegren.

You're not happy? Great, we do not care! Thanks for doing business w/ us and good luck fixing that D w/out any cap leverage!
OP should add "No Leafs trades" to the thread then.

All good, i will exit.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s not only division rival or whatever. No team is taking Marleau next season to help them on the ice. A team will only take him if they’re compensated with a nice asset to take him.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Jordie Benn
Christian Folin
Charles Hudon
Mike Reilly

Obviously not a contender, but could you see a deal that sends Brandon Manning to the Canadiens? Oilers can add a small asset maybe.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
OP should add "No Leafs trades" to the thread then.

All good, i will exit.

You asked what would be the price?

Why the hell would the Habs help a divisonnal rival get rid of thir problem w/out a solid incentive? Why the hell would we do that?

We would trade with the Leafs, but the price is here, you either pay it or you don't!

Reactions: domiwroze

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I can't believe the Leafs get within striking distance of a cup and you want to do a good guy like Marleau dirty. You people ain't no damn good.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

MArleau is a cap dump.

1- Division Rival

I would take Johnson and Marleau for a late round draft pick without a question.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
I would take Johnson and Marleau for a late round draft pick without a question.

Who would he be replacing? He doesn't have a spot in our top9

Adding Johnsson to our 4th line doesn't compensate the fact Leafs are able to keep every player they already have.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I can't believe the Leafs get within striking distance of a cup and you want to do a good guy like Marleau dirty. You people ain't no damn good.

I don't know what others are thinking. The ONLY reason that Marleau is traded is that he decides to retire then the Leafs can trade his contract and the 6.25m cap hit. If Marleau decides to continue playing, then he remains a Leaf for sure.
Marleau's play has really declined since last year. So the only reason he might retire is if he feels he no longer NHL good enough to be a contributor to a team.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Who would he be replacing? He doesn't have a spot in our top9

Adding Johnsson to our 4th line doesn't compensate the fact Leafs are able to keep every player they already have.
He can replace Drouin until he decides to use his head. (this is a joke).

Johnson would most certainly replace someone in our Top-9. He could EASILY play with Kotkaniemi and either of the wingers.

You also have to remember we have Paul Byron coming back as well, so we can ice a deadly 4th line instead of one that keeps costing us dearly.

Drouin - Danault - Gallagher
Tatar - Domi - Shaw
Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Johnson
Byron - Marleau - Armia

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Liljegren.

We don't need another RHD. I'd do it for Filip Kral (LD) & a 2020 2nd. Of course, there's the issue of Marleau's NMC. Can't see him waiving for Montreal.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He can replace Drouin until he decides to use his head. (this is a joke).

Johnson would most certainly replace someone in our Top-9. He could EASILY play with Kotkaniemi and either of the wingers.

You also have to remember we have Paul Byron coming back as well, so we can ice a deadly 4th line instead of one that keeps costing us dearly.

Lehkonen - Kotkaniemi - Johnson
Byron - Marleau - Armia

And how is Johnsson better than Armia or Byron?

See, acquiring him doesn't help us at all, or practcily not, but helps the Leafs tremendously. WHY BOTHER?

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
We don't need another RHD. I'd do it for Filip Kral (LD) & a 2020 2nd. Of course, there's the issue of Marleau's NMC. Can't see him waiving for Montreal.

You'd help the Leafs for a marginal prospect and a late 2nd? Get reel... Even if they are RHD, what bad can it do? Easier to trade after than a late 2nd and a C prospect

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
And how is Johnsson better than Armia or Byron?

See, acquiring him doesn't help us at all, or practcily not, but helps the Leafs tremendously. WHY BOTHER?
How does acquiring a young, 24-year-old cost effective forward not help us? A forward who has offensive talent. A forward who has 30+ points this season WITHOUT getting a ton of ice-time. I think you're crazy. And Marleau isn't great anymore, but he's solid enough to play on our 4th line.

How is he better than Armia? You realize Johnson has half the goals of Armia's career (213 games) in 50 games this season? And it's not like Johnson is a trainwreck defensively, he's a hard working player.

I don't think you have seen Johnson play enough. Dude is a legit prospect with high end Top-6 talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad