Post-Game Talk: Habs score 3 unanswered to defeat the Fish and Penguins

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Hey, just curious what time do you get up in the AM?
Or is your wife built like Pam Anderson?

lol
You missed a great 3rd period, I almost gave up but the MLB game got rained out, so I stayed until the bitter end!! MSL has created a different culture my friend!
Early and if I posted her pic here my sleep would be eternal.:laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I’d rather have Monahan working with Dach and add a big bodied physical winger to the Suzuki-Caufield duo. Right now, only Anderson can do that job.

You need a dissuassive presence on the first line or else you’ll have opponents taking liberties, as it’s already happened this season.
I'm not sold on Anderson and am still pissed at him for not doing anything when Caufield was getting targeted and roughed up last season. Suzuki had to be the one to step in and the last thing I want is for him to get involved in fisticuffs. Sure he can be physical but often isn't and definitely kills plays. Just pair Savard and Guhle with them and all should be well.

Reactions: Runner77

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Rookie d's made me realize how bad was our defense last year. No possible way to get out of d zone with Chiarot, Petry, Kulak and even Romanov. They were not bad by themselves, but as a group, that was ugly. Glad to see we have a chance to win even with Monty in goals right now. I hope it will last. 82 games is a long season.
It’s way too early to tell - as a collective D group I agree the mobility & first pass transition ability this year is superior to lasts.

However, pro scouts have undoubtedly informed their teams Habs want to play a run & gun transitional track meet game - I fully expect teams to start playing the Habs the way Wings did, clog up neutral zone and force a dump & chase game w lots of board / corner battles for pucks.

Only time will tell how this D group responds to physical pressure, and that’s where Edmundson & Matheson’s return to the lineup should help to stabilize

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
No hey listen wasnt calling you out for inaccuracies or leaving someone like X off of your list, I totally get why you didnt put him there
Just pointing out how we had another ridiculously young player part of the team lol

I CAN Call you out for leaving 22 yr old Jordan Harris off your list tho what's WITH you!
Harris is been legit too!. I liked him a lot. The type of player that if you don’t notice him, it likely means he’s playing a good game.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
I really don't know what to make of the habs this year:

The development of Guhle, Harris and Dach, the recovery of Monahan, and the return of Edmundson and Matheson could potentially change a lot.

I don't think they will be a playoff team, but if Guhle and Harris continue to play solidly, and we get back two nhl d-man, the team is a different beast on the back end.

Same thing with Monahan and Dach. If they both are in 50 point range, when combined with Suzuki and Caufield playing like 1st liners, the offense looks different.

A lot of question marks. Again, I don't think they will make the playoffs, but they may play themselves out of a bottom 5 spot.

durojean

May 29, 2007
Bergevin was a liar. Some Centerman were availlable back in the days, but he always said his prospect weren’t availlable. « He didnt want to mortage the future ». Like if those GM wanted scrapp for their best centerman. Probably Bergevin rejected more trade than we know, and we would be ashamed to discover them
He did refuse Draisatl and 4th overall for Subban when Blue Jackets selected Dubois instead of Puujujarvi

durojean

May 29, 2007

The development of Guhle, Harris and Dach, the recovery of Monahan, and the return of Edmundson and Matheson could potentially change a lot.

I don't think they will be a playoff team, but if Guhle and Harris continue to play solidly, and we get back two nhl d-man, the team is a different beast on the back end.

Same thing with Monahan and Dach. If they both are in 50 point range, when combined with Suzuki and Caufield playing like 1st liners, the offense looks different.

A lot of question marks. Again, I don't think they will make the playoffs, but they may play themselves out of a bottom 5 spot.
My prediction… if somehow we make the playoffs.

Price will be our goalie in them.

Reactions: HabzSauce

Jul 6, 2016
I didn’t include Romanov because that was a separate trade. If the Blackhawks valued Romanov the same as the 13th pick, we wouldn’t have needed the Islanders to get involved at all.
Hawks did not want a D with already a quite $$$ salary. They wanted a pick.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

Good thing this draft is so deep that you're picking Calum Ritchie at 10th OA, lmfao

Reactions: Habs10Habs and Andy

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

The current recipe is not sustainable to stay out of the lottery conversation imo. 8 goals in 4 games, with 63% of them coming from 2 players.

I think goal scoring will be a sore spot for the team even if the d and goaltending somehow holds up.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Yeah it's a very interesting outlook right now. I'm truly blown away by how comfortable Guhle and Harris look slotted as our #1 and #3 defencemen as true rookies. Of course it's only been 4 games and we can't just assume they're going to stay at that level all season with no blips at all, but even a 4 game sample is usually enough to see if a player is just flat out overmatched at the NHL level and both guys just look calm and poised. If they can maintain even 85% of what they're doing now we go from a bottom 3 to a decently respectable blue line pretty quick once Matheson is back.

It's a great problem to have for sure. We're basically locked into a positive outcome no matter what happens. In the event Matheson comes back while Guhle/Harris/Dach/Caufield/Suzuki keep playing well and dragging the team to 20th-22nd place, we're thrilled by that outcome because tons of our major roster questions are answered and we just need to clear out the dead weight and go for a big swing in UFA/trade. On the other hand, if the rookies + Dach cool off a bit, and Suzuki/Caufield cool down to a ~60P pace instead of PPG, that isn't concerning in the slightest as those players are all still young and we can just stick to the original plan of picking in the top 5 and seeing how things progress next year. Very excited to see how everything plays out.

Reactions: Andy

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The current recipe is not sustainable to stay out of the lottery conversation imo. 8 goals in 4 games, with 63% of them coming from 2 players.

I think goal scoring will be a sore spot for the team even if the d and goaltending somehow holds up.
much of the goal scoring issues is lack of transition support from the backend. Guhle and Harris are improving game to game. Add Matheson and the transition game looks different.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I’d rather have Monahan working with Dach and add a big bodied physical winger to the Suzuki-Caufield duo. Right now, only Anderson can do that job.

You need a dissuassive presence on the first line or else you’ll have opponents taking liberties, as it’s already happened this season.
Unless the instances of our opponents taking liberties you are talking about only happened this game and not in the previous ones then I don't see how Anderson on the first line works as a dissuassive presence since he was on the first line and it happened anyways.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal

The goaltending won’t hold up unless Montembault suddenly plays way better than he ever has or Primeau grabs the job. Allen is good but he goes downhill fast when he plays too much.

They still need a couple of top forwards, a really good pmd, and a starting goalie. A couple of good players would make everyon the team look better.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Come on, he's not being serious when he says that. Jagr is one of the greatest hockey players ever, there probably will never be anyone like him again. Aside from sticking his ass out on the boards there's no comparison between these guys.
Just saying that came from one of the greatest hockey players of all time and his observations my man. Not my opinion

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021

Agreed. I believed Defence would be the issue. I’m now worried we just don’t have the guns up front. What could be a real game changer is how much Monahan has recovered.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

This year for me....it's not about where we finish.
It's not about the tanking, it's not about making the PO.

It's all about building those pieces we need.
Let's get Caufield to 40 goals and Suzuki to 82+ points.
Let's get Dach 50+ points and let's put Guhle in the Calder conversation.
Either it's Harris, Barron, Slafkovsky, Pezzetta, Heineman.....the more we find, the better the future will be.

And I also want guys like Armia, Drouin, Dvorak, Hoffman to put up as many points on the board as possible so we can trade them.

That should result in a couple of more wins and hurt the tank, but I will gladly pay that price if we come out of this season with 5-6-7 good pieces i'm confident to build with them.....and also get this team rid of some of Bergevin's mistake.

I don't care about the tank......but I do want them to add as many pick or pieces as possible cause franckly, although I'm not sure about Slaf........Mesar, Heineman, Beck, Barron, Dach and Hutson, they might not all become NHLer, but from what I saw so far, seems like they nailed it in most cases.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Unless the instances of our opponents taking liberties you are talking about only happened this game and not in the previous ones then I don't see how Anderson on the first line works as a dissuassive presence since he was on the first line and it happened anyways.
I reluctantly suggested Anderson not because of his exceptionally dissuasive attributes (which they aren’t) but only because we don’t have anyone else to fit the bill.

He’s a big body with some grittiness to his game and that would complement Suzuki and Caufield. However, if you can only point out flaws and not offer a better alternative, then you’ll easily understand why Anderson was suggested — pending a more suitable acquisition down the line.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
The penguin got fishing yesterday and they got no fish. Habs are not fish, they must know that in da future !
cartoon-penguin-fishing.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad