Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Guhle : 21 years old
Caufield: 21 years old
Dach: 21 years old
Suzuki : 23 years old

All contributed tonight. fantastic!

I also think Harris is playing great as well. His style won’t get him noticed much but that means he’s playing well. Just solid all around and thought he deserved a shoutout as well
Harris is an awesome defender with his stick he reminds me of Markov that way. I wish he had a much better shot because he has the instincts to get involved in the offense. I like his pairing right now zero complaints. We definitely need a better partner for Jackeye. Wideman is next to useless and his passing and playmaking abilities are over rated and don't compensate for his short falls.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I liked Guhle’s skills with the puck during preseason, but his defensive play looked raw. 4 nhl games in and he looks completely different in his own end - and that’s great!
Likely trying to do too much. He was over agressive in certain instances on both sides of the puck. Keep in mind he also played both sides with many different partners. Savard has been a steady influence and been a big surprise for me so far this season.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I really like Monahan, healthy like he is right now he can make a huge impact on any team. I'm relaly happy I'm not the GM and will have to make this though decision in a few months, if he wouldn't be injury prone I'd keep him and move Dvorak

Reactions: Rapala

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm somewhat sceptical of Slaf reaching his potential (which imo is enormous) but I think this would be close to a worst case scenario with him.

He's got vision, passing and skill that Anderson just doesn't come close to possessing and I'm not an Anderson hater. What I'm heartened to hear is that he's improving and many seem to think that he's making a case for a roster spot already. I only saw the 2nd game and he and Monahan were pretty much the only forwards doing anything of note. I saw Slaf make some nice passes.

I have my question marks still but I'm gaining confidence in him. Hell if he stays up all year I think he could do Anderson numbers this year. Anderson is a 30-40 pt guy so far.
He is definitely roster worthy given what we currently have. But I can also easily swallow the idea of getting him to Laval for seasoning.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I really like Monahan, healthy like he is right now he can make a huge impact on any team. I'm relaly happy I'm not the GM and will have to make this though decision in a few months, if he wouldn't be injury prone I'd keep him and move Dvorak
I am adamant that Monahan has to stay exactly where he is a first line winger who can spell Suzuki on draws and help with defensive assignments. We want offense from Suzuki and Caufield and having that extra help on the back end is paramount. They looked pretty good for their first game together let them GEL.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm somewhat sceptical of Slaf reaching his potential (which imo is enormous) but I think this would be close to a worst case scenario with him.

He's got vision, passing and skill that Anderson just doesn't come close to possessing and I'm not an Anderson hater. What I'm heartened to hear is that he's improving and many seem to think that he's making a case for a roster spot already. I only saw the 2nd game and he and Monahan were pretty much the only forwards doing anything of note. I saw Slaf make some nice passes.

I have my question marks still but I'm gaining confidence in him. Hell if he stays up all year I think he could do Anderson numbers this year. Anderson is a 30-40 pt guy so far.
He may have great vision and passing but so do many guys. It's about being able to execute which IMO has been his weakness at every level so far. He is not a fast decision maker when challenged. But, this can be improved as he is still young.

BTW if he becomes an Anderson type this is not exactly a bad thing. He was never projected to be more than a 2nd liner. This talk of Jagr or Rantanen was complete nonsense. It was a weak draft, they took the guy they thought would be the most useful knowing there was no surefire 1st liner in the top 5.

Reactions: ReHabs and Wats

FormerLurker

Sponsor
Mar 11, 2003
Mississauga
He just turned 28 this month.

His game doesn't rely on speed but he's so savvy. I don't think his play will be affected by his age in the next 3-4 years.

You always need good vets like him, especially with his flair for the net.

Let's see how he holds up the rest of the season.
Plus he plays all three forward positions and on any line. He plays on the PP and PK. By all accounts he's good in the room. He's the perfect young veteran to complement the young core.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am adamant that Monahan has to stay exactly where he is a first line winger who can spell Suzuki on draws and help with defensive assignments. We want offense from Suzki and Caufield and having that extra help on the back end is paramount. They looked pretty good for their first game together let them GEL.
I’d rather have Monahan working with Dach and add a big bodied physical winger to the Suzuki-Caufield duo. Right now, only Anderson can do that job.

You need a dissuassive presence on the first line or else you’ll have opponents taking liberties, as it’s already happened this season.

NewEraGM

Jun 19, 2010
And Guhles actually 20 lol
Its Xhekaj who's also 21
Wow ok didn’t think Guhle was actually 20 lol. Even better

As for Xhekaj, I didn’t include him because I don’t see him in that same tier as those guys who are clearly a step above now but I think at their peaks also will be head and shoulders above Xhekaj. I like Arber but he’s a different tier of prospect, that’s all.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Wow ok didn’t think Guhle was actually 20 lol. Even better

As for Xhekaj, I didn’t include him because I don’t see him in that same tier as those guys who are clearly a step above now but I think at their peaks also will be head and shoulders above Xhekaj. I like Arber but he’s a different tier of prospect, that’s all.
No hey listen wasnt calling you out for inaccuracies or leaving someone like X off of your list, I totally get why you didnt put him there
Just pointing out how we had another ridiculously young player part of the team lol

I CAN Call you out for leaving 22 yr old Jordan Harris off your list tho what's WITH you!

Reactions: Rapala and NewEraGM

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
3 takeaways from Marty’s coaching last night as per Mathias Brunet:

1. Pulled the goalie with 2:33 to go

2. He deployed Ghule, Suzuki and Caufield to begin OT

3. Used Dach alone on the point for the PP in OT.

I think no. 1 is no big deal, lots of coaches are doing that now. No. 3 involved a 4 on 3, do you really want to use 2 guys at the point in that situation?

Now, no. 2 shows a vote of confidence toward the team’s younger players and especially toward Guhle with so little NHL time under his belt.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
3 takeaways from Marty’s coaching last night as per Mathias Brunet:

1. Pulled the goalie with 2:33 to go

2. He deployed Ghule, Suzuki and Caufield to begin OT

3. Used Dach alone on the point for the PP in OT.

I think no. 1 is no big deal, lots of coaches are doing that now. No. 3 involved a 4 on 3, do you really want to use 2 guys at the point in that situation?

Now, no. 2 shows a vote of confidence toward the team’s younger players and especially toward Guhle with so little NHL time under his belt.

no. 3 isn't significant because of having one guy at the point (1-3-1/1-2-1 is the standard PP setup nowadays). Its notable because Montreal had no D-men out for that PP (Suzuki-Caufield-Monahan-Dach).

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
Rookie d's made me realize how bad was our defense last year. No possible way to get out of d zone with Chiarot, Petry, Kulak and even Romanov. They were not bad by themselves, but as a group, that was ugly. Glad to see we have a chance to win even with Monty in goals right now. I hope it will last. 82 games is a long season.

Reactions: Rapala and Redux91

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So... what are we all gonna talk about until Thursday? What's the scoop today? All the positive talk is kinda unnatural. I don't know what to do with it :)

Anybody heard how close Eddy and Matheson are to return?

Leafs are outside the playoffs for now :naughty:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
no. 3 isn't significant because of having one guy at the point (1-3-1/1-2-1 is the standard PP setup nowadays). Its notable because Montreal had no D-men out for that PP (Suzuki-Caufield-Monahan-Dach).
I was just referring to the number of players used on the point and nothing more.

Never said it was insignificant.

Never mentioned whether it was a D or not. Obviously, Dach is not a D. Just that the idea of using one point man in OT is not that unusual.

Perhaps an argument can be made that Dach could be used as a point man on a conventional PP (where the game is not on the line if a goal gets scored) however, Brunet appeared to only highlight that Dach was playing alone in the back and that’s a permutation you’ll find when teams play a 4-3 PP.

I must have seen a different game, everytime I saw Savard he stunk haha
But he leads the league in blocked shots!!!

In other news, that is all he knows how to do. :sarcasm:

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
He may have great vision and passing but so do many guys. It's about being able to execute which IMO has been his weakness at every level so far. He is not a fast decision maker when challenged. But, this can be improved as he is still young.

BTW if he becomes an Anderson type this is not exactly a bad thing. He was never projected to be more than a 2nd liner. This talk of Jagr or Rantanen was complete nonsense. It was a weak draft, they took the guy they thought would be the most useful knowing there was no surefire 1st liner in the top 5.
When Jagr looks at him at 17 and was quoted for saying he reminded him of a younger him? It’s not quite nonsense

Reactions: DAChampion

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I went to bed too early.....again. I couldn't believe the final score when I checked my phone early this morning, I was shocked. Good for the kids to win games like this, it's a real confidence booster.
Hey, just curious what time do you get up in the AM?
Or is your wife built like Pam Anderson?
lol
You missed a great 3rd period, I almost gave up but the MLB game got rained out, so I stayed until the bitter end!! MSL has created a different culture my friend!

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Or as a good captain he wants to make sure Drouin gets some credit in order to boost his confidence.
Why? You still can applaud Drouin for the execution even if the plan wasn't from him?

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
When Jagr looks at him at 17 and was quoted for saying he reminded him of a younger him? It’s not quite nonsense
Come on, he's not being serious when he says that. Jagr is one of the greatest hockey players ever, there probably will never be anyone like him again. Aside from sticking his ass out on the boards there's no comparison between these guys.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
At this beginning of the game it looked like we will get shutout'ed again. Non-quit mode was activated.

Non-factor players must be penalized. They're stealing ice time mins from the x-factor players.

All we want is to be enjoying watching games and following the team during this rebuilding process.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad