Prospect Info: Habs Rookie Camp (September 15-21) Roster & Games in OP

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I still think if he wasn’t injured and was used properly here he’d be a stud right now.

I don't know about stud but I would have loved to see what would have happened had he not had the injuries and had a GM that understood and was effective at development, that didn't rush him to the NHL at 20 when he badly needed time in the AHL to work on his offensive game.

Reactions: habsfan891

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
All leagues and all jobs are developmental, in fact if you have a philosophy that they aren't, then your philosophy is wrong.

When they say the NHL isn't a developmental league, what they mean is that they have no idea how to develop players at all and want them to be all plug and play. Which also means if a player can plug and play, they don't do anything to make them better than they currently are and as we've seen - they put the entire onus on the player.

This has also seeped into their cognitive bias that inherently a veteran player is better than a rookie player. If the veteran is consistent in his sucktitude, they play him. (see: Merrill, Jon) despite if the younger player, at his worst, is still better, because they frame the good games the rookies play as what level they should always play at and when they dip below it, they 'struggle' and can't be trusted.

The Canadiens would rather trust consistently bad veteran players than trust young players who are unequivocally better, simply because there's more peaks and valleys in their play.
That's the way I see it too. There are managers out there in many team sports, who see it as their mandate to both win and develop young players. Guys like Guardiola at Manchester City and Tuchel at Chelsea are notorious for mentoring young players in the Premier League, while also winning. Tuchel just bagged the Champions League. Get a cerebral coach, not just an authoritarian.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That's the way I see it too. There are managers out there in many team sports, who see it as their mandate to both win and develop young players. Guys like Guardiola at Manchester City and Tuchel at Chelsea are notorious for mentoring young players in the Premier League, while also winning. Tuchel just bagged the Champions League. Get a cerebral coach, not just an authoritarian.
Yep…it’s definitely more of a hockey thing IMO.

In other sports, managers or coaches don’t operate by focusing solely on D.O.B.‘s.

Reactions: habsfan891

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

It's a little different in soccer in the sense that most of the young players they play have been in the academy since they were kids. So they already have been brought up in the club's system for many years.

Not to mention not all of them are starters or play the full game. Some of them get in the game depending on the score. Some of them start but come off at some point, which would be the equivalent of Norlinder (as an example) skipping some shifts because the score is too tight, which would cause an uproar.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
It's a little different in soccer in the sense that most of the young players they play have been in the academy since they were kids. So they already have been brought up in the club's system for many years.

Not to mention not all of them are starters or play the full game. Some of them get in the game depending on the score. Some of them start but come off at some point, which would be the equivalent of Norlinder (as an example) skipping some shifts because the score is too tight, which would cause an uproar.
Still…even playing in the academy and for example, making your debut in a Champions League match, is a huge jump.

It happens quite a bit.

When managers have identified a young player they think has potential, they want them to integrate them as quickly as possible.

But there are also other measures like loan spells that help teams continue developing their young players even if they don’t have a spot for them.

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
You can tell he’s mr serious

Sam Cosentino's first comments on Sportsnet after Habs selected him "He's as serious as a heart attack."

Anyone who has spoken about him, from his coach in Prince Albert to Andre Tourigny who knew him with Hockey Canada to Joel Bouchard, who has also had him with Hockey Canada since the kid was younger, now JF Houle, and Ramage before camp, they all say how much of a pro he already carries himself as, how serious he takes it, and how much the other players respect him.

When they say he reminds them of Shea Weber, I can see it because Shea is also that stoic and non-flashy big defenseman who caries himself a certain way off the ice that has earned the respect of his peers and coaches/management.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Still…even playing in the academy and for example, making your debut in a Champions League match, is a huge jump.

It happens quite a bit.

Yes it happens. But again, they don't all get in there as starters or play the full 90 minutes. Some sub in depending on the score. Some get subbed out.

When managers have identified a young player they think has potential, they want them to integrate them as quickly as possible.

They don't all get in there right away. Most of them get eased in there.

But there are also other measures like loan spells that help teams continue developing their young players even if they don’t have a spot for them.

Which is similar to keeping a player in the AHL or NCAA or major junior or letting them continue to play on their team in Europe.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Why?

I don't see a reason for being anything more than cautiously optimistic. Romanov was quite a letdown compared to the hype he was getting from the staff prior to last season.
No one said he would win the Norris in his rookie year... Come on man...

You're quite grumpy lately... :huh:

Reactions: dralaf

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
With no video this thread is rather useless, just saying.

It's like this every year. We get Tweets and some montages of camp to work on. We also get the media availabilities. But this is also a place to talk about the prospects at camp in one thread rather than going to each individual prospect's thread to talk about the news we get of each of them at camp.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
All leagues and all jobs are developmental, in fact if you have a philosophy that they aren't, then your philosophy is wrong.

When they say the NHL isn't a developmental league, what they mean is that they have no idea how to develop players at all and want them to be all plug and play. Which also means if a player can plug and play, they don't do anything to make them better than they currently are and as we've seen - they put the entire onus on the player.

This has also seeped into their cognitive bias that inherently a veteran player is better than a rookie player. If the veteran is consistent in his sucktitude, they play him. (see: Merrill, Jon) despite if the younger player, at his worst, is still better, because they frame the good games the rookies play as what level they should always play at and when they dip below it, they 'struggle' and can't be trusted.

The Canadiens would rather trust consistently bad veteran players than trust young players who are unequivocally better, simply because there's more peaks and valleys in their play.
Yeah, of course, it's always the bad coaches and the stupid management! It's never the players themselves!

How come Suzuki managed to do just fine under the same circumstances?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Maybe I was wrong and the hype is legit regarding Norlinder. I hope he becomes the steal of the 2019 draft

Reactions: bopeep

KevSkillz4

Apr 11, 2016
Maybe I was wrong and the hype is legit regarding Norlinder. I hope he becomes the steal of the 2019 draft

2019 draft can be very good for Habs (like 2007 with McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban) if Norlinder and Struble become very good defenseman in NHL. 3 steals in Caufield, Norlinder and Struble.

Reactions: Tyson and Sagikev

Sagikev

Chadstudsky
Sep 16, 2018
2019 draft can be very good for Habs (like 2007 with McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban) if Norlinder and Struble become very good defenseman in NHL. 3 steals in Caufield, Norlinder and Struble.
Plus Fairbrother and RHP, two legit prospects.

Reactions: Tyson

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
wonder if Ylonen will play tomorrow

Will be interesting. I imagine Desruisseaux and Hayes will be in the line-up tomorrow. Isiah Campbell was the 13th forward listed yesterday but I don't recall him playing much. So maybe he will get a spot.

For defense, I would like to see Sobolev get in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad