Prospect Info: Habs release Alexander Avtsin

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
With all the room in our 50 contract limit I'm surprised the Habs have not signed any NCAA/CHL/Euro FA's.

They currently only have 41 contracts with Avtsin Kaberle Weber Blunden Schultz Stejksal Mayer included, if those 7 are not in Montreal or hamilton next year it leaves us at 34. I can see them signing Thrower, Nygren and maybe a couple others but still tons of room on the NHL/AHL/ECHL roster.

True, i like Dea and Andrighetto from Rouyn, not sure if we can sign them tho.

Avtsin was a homerun type of pick, im fine with it.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
True, i like Dea and Andrighetto from Rouyn, not sure if we can sign them tho.

Avtsin was a homerun type of pick, im fine with it.

Both are draft eligible, but Andrighetto could play AHL next year as he is a 1993. Dea is a 1994 so he has another year(at least) left in the Q. Both have nice upside, especially after the 3rd round.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
With all the room in our 50 contract limit I'm surprised the Habs have not signed any NCAA/CHL/Euro FA's.

They currently only have 41 contracts with Avtsin Kaberle Weber Blunden Schultz Stejksal Mayer included, if those 7 are not in Montreal or hamilton next year it leaves us at 34. I can see them signing Thrower, Nygren and maybe a couple others but still tons of room on the NHL/AHL/ECHL roster.

We can also safely assume that Petteri Nokelainen won't be brought back.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
He had talent.. things just didn't get put together and he was brought to NA way too early.

No loss though, he was a late round pick. RIP Avtsin.

I will never consider a 4th round as a late round pick....In Timmins ball park, a really late round pick is 6th or 7th. Timmins has done wonders with 4th and 5th. And look at what was picked after him...there are some REALLY interesting names.......Won't be long before we hear from our journalists that we chose Avtsin instead of Gabriel Bourque....Personnally....I did like Bourque. But geez would Corban Knight look great in this organization....And in hindsight, you could bring Kruger's name, Horak, Vincour (though was a favorite of mine before the draft...Hey maybe even McDermid....No McDermid for Bruins....no Jagr....:D

I think the pick was worth it though. But you have that feeling that something wasn't done properly. Though the player himself has surely something to say about that.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
When a player is released, say in this instance, does Marc Bergevin talk to Avtsin directly and tell him the news? Do they bring him to Montreal? Or do they just let the agent know and the agent relays the message?

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
When a player is released, say in this instance, does Marc Bergevin talk to Avtsin directly and tell him the news? Do they bring him to Montreal? Or do they just let the agent know and the agent relays the message?

Bergevin himself kicks the guy in the nuts...

It's an old tradition. Comes from the time when there were no emails, sms etc.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007

In this instance, I'm sure they just notified the agent or whatever is the official procedure. No need to bring him to Montreal. He was a scratch often in Hamilton so it's not like this was a shock.

When Gainey decided not to re-sign Koivu, I'm sure they had a 1-1 conversation, but releasing a bust prospect shouldn't require much sentiment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad