Confirmed with Link: Habs re-sign Daniel Carr

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I also like Carr a lot and his skill-set might mesh very well with Plekanec and Radulov as he is very fiesty in the corners and close to the net. That being said, why the heck are we giving him a 1-way contract? He's not proven by any stretch of the imagination.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I also like Carr a lot and his skill-set might mesh very well with Plekanec and Radulov as he is very fiesty in the corners and close to the net. That being said, why the heck are we giving him a 1-way contract? He's not proven by any stretch of the imagination.

He is waiver exempt. So he can be sent to the AHL without having to go through waivers. Having a 1-way contract doesn't guarantee he will be in the NHL. It just guarantees he'll make the same money in the AHL as he would in the NHL.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
Undrafted college FA, played at Union in NCAA.

This is the direction the league is going. Much easier to project a kid's skill when they've played a bit more and grown a bit compared to when they are just 18. Some are easy to predict, many others, like carr take some fine seasoning in the NCAA and he will end up playing more games over his career than a lot of kids who were drafted in the first and second rounds as 18 year olds.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Undrafted player that is showing more than higher draftees, I can see why teams are high on these guys. I like the fact that Carr seems to want the puck on every shift, a good quality in an era of pass first players(not Ovechkin) a guy that likes to shoot. He is not going to be a superstar but a solid contributor unless last year was his ceiling then if so, no big deal.:)

<<< it worked before.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
One of my friends played with him at Union, I asked about him after we signed him since I had no clue who he was. He hyped up his scoring abilities and that he'd pay the price to score goals, but said he wasn't a great skater.

His skating isn't great, but it seems like he's improved his speed since turning pro. I think he could definitely be a solid 30-40 middle six winger who could get around 15-20 goals.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
MT praised him after almost each of his games last season. My bet is he's clearly the front runner to be LW on the second line. Being liked by the head coach does that to you.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
He's not super talented but he's always a threat, as long as you can camp out around the goal and put the puck on net you can have decent career in this league. It doesn't hurt that he has decent wheels and is a capable defensive player

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

Define proven.....In the mean time, this is my analyzation of the player.

Work ethic, tenacity, good attitude, scoring touch, team first mentality, willingness to go to the front of the net

He's checked off every single one of these abilities that I believe are on a short list of tools a hockey player should have, hence, he's certainly proven that he's earned himself a spot in the rotation.....#3 LW with spot duty on the 2nd line in case of injury.

Last edited:

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
He's not super talented but he's always a threat, as long as you can camp out around the goal and put the puck on net you can have decent career in this league. It doesn't hurt that he has decent wheels and is a capable defensive player

sometimes work ethic and drive can beat out talent. Lots of 1st rounders even 1st overalls with all the talent in the world but they don't have that drive to be a pro and take it to the next level.

How come a guy like Galley or Palat can tear it up, but a guy like Yakupov has one foot out the door. If you don't work at it talent will only take you so far.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
This is the direction the league is going. Much easier to project a kid's skill when they've played a bit more and grown a bit compared to when they are just 18. Some are easy to predict, many others, like carr take some fine seasoning in the NCAA and he will end up playing more games over his career than a lot of kids who were drafted in the first and second rounds as 18 year olds.

It's not a direction the league has been going in, there have always been NCAA free agents. In fact they were more common to become impact players and probably more common in general a generation ago when amateur scouting wasn't as good as it is now.

Kobe Armstrong

Jul 26, 2011
It's not a direction the league has been going in, there have always been NCAA free agents. In fact they were more common to become impact players and probably more common in general a generation ago when amateur scouting wasn't as good as it is now.

NHLers201314.jpg

The bar graph is kind of deceptive in that it's only around a 10% difference, but you can see the clear influx of NCAA talent in the NHL over the past decade or so. It's become a much more viable route to the NHL.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
NHLers201314.jpg

The bar graph is kind of deceptive in that it's only around a 10% difference, but you can see the clear influx of NCAA talent in the NHL over the past decade or so. It's become a much more viable route to the NHL.

The NCAA is becoming a bigger source of talent

Undrafted NCAA free agents less so. There were actual superstars missed in the drafting process a generation ago that came out of the NCAA those days. That doesn't happen anymore, much more of the players that have real potential are identified at 18 than they used to.

Of course the undrafted NCAA that makes good is still a thing, its just that its probably less of a thing than it has been in history.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

The NCAA is becoming a bigger source of talent

Undrafted NCAA free agents less so. There were actual superstars missed in the drafting process a generation ago that came out of the NCAA those days. That doesn't happen anymore, much more of the players that have real potential are identified at 18 than they used to.

Of course the undrafted NCAA that makes good is still a thing, its just that its probably less of a thing than it has been in history.

As Talks to Goalposts mentionned, before you had the MSL, Andy McDonald, Greg D. Adams, Joe Mullen, Adam Oates, Dan Boyle to go with the Chris Kunitz, Joel Otto and Jason Blake.

Now you only have Tyler Johnson and Torey Krug that look like hockey stars while you get plenty of lesser players like Garbutt, JT Brown, Bozak, Desharnais, Glendening and Fontaine.

Now the best NCAA players are all getting drafted (except if they are small like Johnson and Krug).

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Carr was a bit of a bright spot when the Habs were riddled with injuries. Didn't he stand out in the Winter Classics game at Fenway Park? (That was my favorite game of the entire 2015-16 season.)

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Define proven.....In the mean time, this is my analyzation of the player.

Work ethic, tenacity, good attitude, scoring touch, team first mentality, willingness to go to the front of the net

He's checked off every single one of these abilities that I believe are on a short list of tools a hockey player should have, hence, he's certainly proven that he's earned himself a spot in the rotation.....#3 LW with spot duty on the 2nd line in case of injury.

24 years old
23 NHL games
9 points

he's proven nothing at the NHL level.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
As Talks to Goalposts mentionned, before you had the MSL, Andy McDonald, Greg D. Adams, Joe Mullen, Adam Oates, Dan Boyle to go with the Chris Kunitz, Joel Otto and Jason Blake.

Now you only have Tyler Johnson and Torey Krug that look like hockey stars while you get plenty of lesser players like Garbutt, JT Brown, Bozak, Desharnais, Glendening and Fontaine.

Now the best NCAA players are all getting drafted (except if they are small like Johnson and Krug).

You only have to look at the (If I remember correctly) 12 former college players on the cup winning Pittsburg Penguins to see how far the NCAA has gone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad