Confirmed with Link: Habs re-sign Andrighetto to 1 year deal

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Why are people so concerned with the dollar figure?

He's an RFA not a UFA....theres only so much money he can make on a 1yr deal

People aren't concerned about it. It's a bit of a game to guess what it's going to be, and people are curious to know the real figure.

You're the one with the bizarre insistence on cap hit of players not mattering. Which they do regardless of your unwillingness to admit that they do. Of course in Ghetto's case whether he's paid 500K or 700K, the two extremes.. it wasn't going to be a big deal worth crying about. But if a GM overpays players by 200K per on average over 23 players it becomes 2,6M in cap space. 2,6M in cap space is going from a 3,4M player to a 6M (DD or Eller versus Plekanec). It's going from being able to sign a Chris Stewart to a Carl Hagelin. So even such a small difference.. it adds up quick. It matters for teams who spend to the cap - which we do (minus a small allowance for acquiring more valuable players at the deadline).

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
WE will see soon if they have already given up on him. But by the way, if they did, if they do possess all those special infos you are talking about, if he doesn't have the size, nor the speed, and they know he won't make it....shouldn't they ALREADY contemplace the idea to implicate him in a deal, using his farm stats on top of it? Or will they prefer letting him rot without calling him back a few more years in the AHL till he has no more value?

Isn't it possible that if our scouts and management has identified that Hudon isn't likely to be an NHL regular, than any other team scouting us has come to the same conclusion?

Hudon is unfortunately irrelevant at this point. He's going to be expansion draft eligible, and it's very unlikely that he works his way into our top 7. If he has the NHL potential that some think he has than he's likely to be taken, and if he doesn't, well than he doesn't.

The above holds true in trading him as well. I doubt he's in any teams top 7 to protect, and if he's good enough to trade for, he's probably good enough to take in the expansion. I can't see anybody trading for very many fringe players who are expansion eligible this season.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Isn't it possible that if our scouts and management has identified that Hudon isn't likely to be an NHL regular, than any other team scouting us has come to the same conclusion?

Hudon is unfortunately irrelevant at this point. He's going to be expansion draft eligible, and it's very unlikely that he works his way into our top 7. If he has the NHL potential that some think he has than he's likely to be taken, and if he doesn't, well than he doesn't.

The above holds true in trading him as well. I doubt he's in any teams top 7 to protect, and if he's good enough to trade for, he's probably good enough to take in the expansion. I can't see anybody trading for very many fringe players who are expansion eligible this season.

For sure this is Hudon's last chance this upcoming training camp.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010

Hudon isn't waiver eligible, so no, I'm pretty sure this isn't his "last chance". As a matter of fact, he hasn't even been given a chance yet.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

Which is.....****in weird after a 28 goal season in the AHL. Not sure why he didn't get a better chance this year.

edit: I obviously meant AHL.

Last edited:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

He's 21. It's common for players to play two full AHL seasons. Was it Tyler Johnson's last chance when he played two AHL seasons in Syracuse?

So funny to me how obsessed with youngsters this place is only for other guys to proclaim a players career near dead at 21.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
2 full seasons and given zero chance. Given the amount of injuries there were ample opportunities to give Hudon a good look. What is it about his game that they don't like?

InTheWrist

May 24, 2011
I can honestly see Sven getting 18-24 goals along with 14-18 helpers next season as a third liner predominately.

Kid is a late bloomer and he has the making of a perennial 25 goals scorer.

With his release and his knack of been at the right place at the right time; I'd also not be surprise to see him bucket 28-35 goals in 2-3 years time.

kid is a gem hidden in plain sight.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

No? Do you know why? 'Cause we have him only since 2012, and that there are NUMEROUS examples of players doing better with their 2nd team than they do with their 1st team. And there are examples of players that don't have their original team favors that happens to work elsewhere. If, like the poster said, they have INSIDE incredible secret infos that makes Hudon not worth our time, maybe those teams don't have access to that. We have access to Hudon every single day. Other teams see what they see when he plays. And end-results are that 50ish points in his 2 first pro seasons. Can't be seen too negatively.

At the very freakin worst, the only thing I was expecting is to see him get a fair chance in a losing season. I'm obviously not at "We are so much wasting an incredible hall of famer here".

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
He's 21. It's common for players to play two full AHL seasons. Was it Tyler Johnson's last chance when he played two AHL seasons in Syracuse?

So funny to me how obsessed with youngsters this place is only for other guys to proclaim a players career near dead at 21.

Hudon has at least 2 full seasons to crack the Habs lineup IMO.

If he still hasn't cracked it by the end of the 2017-18 season, then I will worry.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
People aren't concerned about it. It's a bit of a game to guess what it's going to be, and people are curious to know the real figure.

You're the one with the bizarre insistence on cap hit of players not mattering. Which they do regardless of your unwillingness to admit that they do. Of course in Ghetto's case whether he's paid 500K or 700K, the two extremes.. it wasn't going to be a big deal worth crying about. But if a GM overpays players by 200K per on average over 23 players it becomes 2,6M in cap space. 2,6M in cap space is going from a 3,4M player to a 6M (DD or Eller versus Plekanec). It's going from being able to sign a Chris Stewart to a Carl Hagelin. So even such a small difference.. it adds up quick. It matters for teams who spend to the cap - which we do (minus a small allowance for acquiring more valuable players at the deadline).

Firstly - I've never argued cap hits don't matter

Secondly - Sven Andrighetto's contract was pretty much pre-determined, there was only a certain amount of money he could possibly sign for - this is as standard as it gets in terms of contracts

Haggling over 200K either way, seems bizarre to me...even more bizarre than the suggestion that 200K overpayment spread across 23 players creates a problem lol

I mean, the system (CBA) is created in a way for that to be impossible to ever happen, so this "sky is falling" scenario you've created is just a fantasy

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

If he still hasn't cracked it by the end of the 2017-18 season, then I will worry.

Hudon is one of the few prospects the Habs have which I'm concerned the least with

They've actually groomed him the right way, he's going to be ripe whenever he becomes an NHL'er and I suspect he won't be up and down in terms of NHL and AHL when he does eventually breakthrough

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

To be honest if he doesn't play more than 5 games this season I'll worry. Not necessarily about him but about his future here. He would not be the first young player we trade before giving him a real chance just to see him blossom elsewhere.

But if he plays around 20 games this season to replace injured players and do well then i don't see the problem he's still young and like you said he still has 2 years before needing to go thru waivers.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
2 full seasons and given zero chance. Given the amount of injuries there were ample opportunities to give Hudon a good look. What is it about his game that they don't like?

Even by HF standards, this is jumping the gun to a whole new level. Yeah, he probably deserved a shot this year given the circumstances. They instead let him play big minutes in the AHL, where he excelled.

The kid hasn't even turned 22 yet, and people are acting like it's one minute before midnight. He'll get his chance.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
No? Do you know why? 'Cause we have him only since 2012, and that there are NUMEROUS examples of players doing better with their 2nd team than they do with their 1st team. And there are examples of players that don't have their original team favors that happens to work elsewhere. If, like the poster said, they have INSIDE incredible secret infos that makes Hudon not worth our time, maybe those teams don't have access to that. We have access to Hudon every single day. Other teams see what they see when he plays. And end-results are that 50ish points in his 2 first pro seasons. Can't be seen too negatively.

At the very freakin worst, the only thing I was expecting is to see him get a fair chance in a losing season. I'm obviously not at "We are so much wasting an incredible hall of famer here".

To preface this, I fully expected to see more of Hudon myself. It's very surprising that he got very little opportunity. Maybe this was because of different needs at different times throughout the season, I don't know. But I agree that it was disappointing to not see him get more of a shot.

To your first point, there are a lot more fringe prospects that get traded who never make it than players who break out on their second team. If you are accepting (hypothetically) that management has judged Hudon of being unworthy, than it's not fair to assume there would be a ton of interest from other teams around the NHL. Because of familiarity, we are likely to make that identification quicker, but other team will do their due diligence beyond looking at game sheets. They can very likely see some of these same issues that we maybe have.

There is obviously an issue with something. Maybe it's Speed as one poster eluded to earlier, maybe it's size. Maybe it's both.

Anyways, back to Andrighetto. This contract isn't great for us, in the ways that a 650k contract can be bad. His agent obviously see's the writing on the wall and that there is a very good chance that Andrighetto get's top 6 ice time this coming season. Consistent top 6 role could easily see 40+ points and a bit of a payday next year. Would have been nice to get an extra year of a sub 1M cap hit, but I understand why the agent didn't let that happen given our lineup.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016

Thats the question. Why is Hudon getting passed over by other players on the depth chart. JDR doesn't score as much, McCarron in his 1st year as a pro yet they got more opportunities.

I hope whatever the issue is MB/MT told Hudon about it and he has worked on it during the summer.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Good signing, 1-way deal so seems like he's got a regular / press box spot, good for him, now it's his chance to produce and take a spot on our scoring lines.

At the end of the season he scored at PPG pace for 10 games or so, he made nifty passes to Galchenyuk who was hot. They had good chemistry for the few last weeks.

Jakomyte

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Andrighetto's deal good for both sides

http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/06/12/sven-andrighetto-deal/

Around noon on Saturday, the Montreal Canadiens announced they had signed Swiss forward Sven Andrighetto to a one-year extension worth $650,000 for the 2016-17 season. The extension gave Andrighetto a one-way contract, meaning he can’t be sent down to the St. John’s IceCaps without the Canadiens risking losing him to waivers first. TVA Sports’ Renaud Lavoie was the first insider to break down the details of the deal.

If you are going to be writing articles about this kind of thing, you should do a bit more research to make sure you are posting factual statements.

A player's waiver eligibility has nothing to do with his contract being one-way or two-way. A one-way contract means that Andrighetto's salary will be the same whether he plays in the NHL or AHL. A two-way contract has two different salaries, paid based on whether a player is in the NHL or AHL during the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad