LeBrun: Habs planning on being aggressive in free agency this year

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
I don't think Kadri goes anywhere for less than $8.5m. Not that he's worth it, but I think that's what he'll demand after this season.
I don't think he goes to the Habs, but I could see a deal like that happening, I think Kadri being 30 makes it more likely that a 7-8 year contract has a 7 as the first digit, a 5-6yr contract has an 8 and a 3-4year contract starts with a 9.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
Fans are the only ones who care about the standings. Guys aren't leaving millions on the table to sign a hometown discount with a Canadian team. The Flames are good for the first year in Gaudreau's career, do you think that's going to entice him to stay for 8 years at a reduced rate? We've seen with American players in particular that they tend to chase the money.

So much wrong with this post lol.
Fans are the only ones who care about the standings? Absurd exaggeration.

First year flames are good in his career? Not true at all.

Who said anything about a hometown discount or reduced rate? lol.

And American players in particular chasing the money? what a massive generalization that is true of maybe like 10 of 500+ American players over the past two decades.

I would say around 75% chance Gaudreau stays on a fair contract given how successful this year has been and what we've shown. Maybe a bit more likely if we have playoff success and maybe a bit less if we don't. But either way if he wants to leave he's not going to Montreal lol.

RasmusAndersson

Oct 19, 2013
I guess it must sucks losing a star in his prime via UFA. It will be Philly (hometown team) or Mtl (money) this summer. Would had already signed if he was staying in Calgary. An other reason why u guys went after Toffoli.

Hahahah ya cause if he wants to chase the money it'll definitely be in Montreal! Or maybe, idk, he cares about winning?

And maybe he hasn't signed yet because he's having a career year, probably Hart candidate level season, so he's gonna wait til the off-season so that he can maximize his value? Or does that go against your absurd narrative that he already wants out of Calgary to chase the money in Quebec lolol

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
MSL is still in a "honeymoon" period

I'm sure a lot of hab players liked playing for DD during the cup run, that wore off pretty dang fast
Habs have a lot of caproom. Caproom projected to be in short supply this summer. Flat cap. Chiarot, Kulak likely to be traded also. Petry maybe, but he is playing well since MSL. If they trade Petry be around 15 million in caproom. Strong chance Montreal be a big bidder in UFA. Or take on contract from a team looking to move salary.

phil4433

Mar 1, 2022
Habs have a lot of caproom. Caproom projected to be in short supply this summer. Flat cap. Chiarot, Kulak likely to be traded also. Petry maybe, but he is playing well since MSL. If they trade Petry be around 15 million in caproom. Strong chance Montreal be a big bidder in UFA. Or take on contract from a team looking to move salary.

been hearing Petry and Chiarot rumors for years,

i don't believe any of it unless it happens,

i would be surprised if either of them were traded personally

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Kadri in Montreal is not happening.

However, if the Habs are able to trade Petry and free up cap room, I can see them making an offer for Letang.
who do you think they're going after then? Hertl? Make a pitch for both Letang and Malkin?
I can't imagine that they just keep throwing money at wingers and hoping for the best. You'd hope that Hughes and Gorton would realize that there's no getting around needing centers and d-men.

Reactions: Benstheman

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
who do you think they're going after then? Hertl? Make a pitch for both Letang and Malkin?
I can't imagine that they just keep throwing money at wingers and hoping for the best. You'd hope that Hughes and Gorton would realize that there's no getting around needing centers and d-men.
Only Hertl. Nothing else for me. Maybe except Letang for 3 years if we trade Petry for a good return.

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Only Hertl. Nothing else for me. Maybe except Letang for 3 years if we trade Petry for a good return.
What would the long term plans be? Draft one of the 2022 centers, send them back to college/juniors for a year and then have a massive turnover at forward through trades and letting people walk as UFAs?

phil4433

Mar 1, 2022
I believe Habs have been aggressive in FA every year, so this doesn't really change anything,

Other than FA's having more reasons this season not to sign with Habs

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
and you know this how exactly....isnt Gaudreau favorite player MSL maybe Marty calls him and convinces him to sign here we have no idea the influence St Louis can have on some players
Gaudreau to Montreal is not happening. Calgary is matching any offer Montreal makes and letting Mangiapane and possibly Tkachuk walk, if required. If Gaudreau walks, it's because he desperately wants to play and live near his hometown in the Philly/NJ area.

Nico Cauzuki

Jul 19, 2009
King Of The North
Gaudreau to Montreal is not happening. Calgary is matching any offer Montreal makes and letting Mangiapane and possibly Tkachuk walk, if required. If Gaudreau walks, it's because he desperately wants to play and live near his hometown in the Philly/NJ area.
oh yea i dont think Gaudreau signs here neither personally im still hoping we go with the rebuild i was just saying none of us know the influence someone like St Louis can have on players hes a new coach yes but hes also very well respected so maybe that helps attract some players

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
What would the long term plans be? Draft one of the 2022 centers, send them back to college/juniors for a year and then have a massive turnover at forward through trades and letting people walk as UFAs?

Not so sure we draft a center. I see Habs drafting between 3 and 5, unless we get lucky off course. Which means Slafkovski and Nemec are a possibility. It would be nice to have another sniper on the wing with Caufield while top 4 RD is the biggest need to fill long term. If we are able to signe Hertl for 6-7 years, we are set at center for the next 6-7 years with him and Suzuki.

Off course, Dvorak would have to be traded and changes would need to happen at forward position. But the way i see it, except for Gallagher, we don't own problematic long term contracts at forward. Others are easily manageable in the next 2-3 years, which would be our opening window for competing again. Drouin and Byron are out after next season which make it easier to resign Caufield and maybe get another solid UFA signing. Hoffman is out in 2 years and Armia in 3 years.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Personally, if I was GM and was able to move Petry for futures (whatever that would be), and free up cap space, I would make a move for Letang. Then I stop there. Let the kids play cause we are not making the playoffs.

I think the Habs need to focus on youth for a few years. Develop them properly and then go after trades/UFA signings to address the holes after the youth develops.

However, I don't know what Gorton/Hughes have in mind. Can they go after improvements now with cap space and also develop the youth at the same time? Possible and we will see. I think yearly cup contenders get the biggest pieces through the draft.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I don't think he goes to the Habs, but I could see a deal like that happening, I think Kadri being 30 makes it more likely that a 7-8 year contract has a 7 as the first digit, a 5-6yr contract has an 8 and a 3-4year contract starts with a 9.
He’ll be 32 when the puck drops to start the season and is worthy of 60 pt money at best but more likely he will slide back to 50 if not mid 40s like he has been most of his career.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
A promise of a free-skating attack in mtl (a first in mtl for like 35 years) might be sweet for offensive players. I spent my entire adult life hearing only about “systems” “grinding” “attitude ” “out-working opponents” “being defensively sound” “the trap” “can the goalie win the cup for us”.. . Maybe a high profile org with potential to boost my offensive stats would attract me more as a ufa than “playing the right way” for coaches like Therrien and the gang, who knows.
the hall special.

sign a one year reclamation contract in hope, that your stats improve enough to warrant a long term contract from a team in a better place (contending wise, not geography or language).

Reactions: Naslundforever

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’ll be 32 when the puck drops to start the season and is worthy of 60 pt money at best but more likely he will slide back to 50 if not mid 40s like he has been most of his career.

Don't matter. Kadri will get offers and he's not signing with the Habs. We don't have to worry about that

Gaud

May 11, 2017
Heard Kadri rumors in a few places (that hed be soooo perfect between Suzuki and Dvorak at C). Ugh. 6M contract ?no thanks

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
Heard Kadri rumors in a few places (that hed be soooo perfect between Suzuki and Dvorak at C). Ugh. 6M contract ?no thanks

The inspiration for the rumor is pretty obvious really.
  1. Grew up a Habs fan.
  2. Even throwing out a career year like he's having, he's a quality center.
Someone will throw a contract at him based on this year, and that will definitely be a mistake. He's a 2c on a good team, and that's how he should be paid.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Actually makes a lot of sense for a rebuilding team to be in on FA's. Pick up vets that are a bit to expensive for cap restrained teams, they keep the team somewhat competitive while the young guys develop, then move them as salary and term attrit for futures.

Kadri and other big deals make no sense in that model obviously. But short term / higher salary guys are a great fit.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Kadri will be a Hab if he seeks to, which I doubt. Boyhood sports faves don't always translate to adulthood. I would welcome Letang at the right price for the right reasons, depends on him.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad