Post-Game Talk: Habs or Lightning. Who you picking to Win the Stanley Cup ?

Habs or Lightning. Who you picking to Win the Stanley Cup Finals?

• Habs

• Lightning

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The Leafs were over the cap and they got dusted in the first round yet again.

Both Tampa Cup wins are legit.

EDIT: More generally on the Cap - it's right to not enforce it in the playoffs. It's a tool to link salary expenditure to revenues - since players are not being paid a salary in the post-season there really isn't any grounds for continuing its implementation during that time.

Naw that’s just lame. You play entire season by one set of cash constraints only to have the playing field change once it’s over?

Just seems really lame for a league that endlessly pump parity of the league. Simply put, your daily roster shouldn’t be able to exceed the cap, especially when the games count the most.

Matching cash to revenues is the math and the bargaining, parity across the league is the sales pitch to the market, and some teams able to go over the cap during the playoffs isn’t exactly in that spirit.

It is what it is, and I didn’t root for either team in particular, but it just seems lame.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
No issue with the comments. I agree with the sentiment that players are normally a f***ing bore to listen to every time because they purposely stick to clichés and quite often they barely even relate to the questions asked. I'll take the answers with personality even if they offend some.

Again, why does it have to be one or the other? Can players not be encouraged to speak their mind and avoid cliches but also be fair game for what they decide to say? If you are going to make a public comment that will be heard by millions, then expect to get some replies.

Kucherov has every right to say what he is really thinking, and Montreal fans are allowed to not like his opinion, and fire back.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Naw that’s just lame. You play entire season by one set of cash constraints only to have the playing field change once it’s over?

Just seems really lame for a league that endlessly pump parity of the league. Simply put, your daily roster shouldn’t be able to exceed the cap, especially when the games count the most.

Matching cash to revenues is the math and the bargaining, parity across the league is the sales pitch to the market, and some teams able to go over the cap during the playoffs isn’t exactly in that spirit.

It is what it is, and I didn’t root for either team in particular, but it just seems lame.

However fans feel about it, the reality is that players have never received a salary for the playoffs (or I don't think so, haven't seen anything saying they ever did)

They always played to win, for "pride and honor" and it seems that (for most at least) they play even harder than during the regular season, even if they won't gain (much) more money if they make it to the 2nd round. However, the "Playoff Bonus Pool" set aside the NHL/NHLPA has been growing so they all make an extra bonus that is getting more important every year, even if you lose in the 1st round

But that being said, how would it work if players salaries were for the whole season + playoffs? Would you then reduce the salary for those who don't make the post season?

There's a reason things are done a certain way, and until someone come up with a better solution, it's always useless to criticize it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Kucherov can say whatever he wants. One thing though...he has to remember he's going to be on the ice against a lot of pissed off Habs during the regular season next year. Hope he gets over his "injury" troubles and mans up for those games.

And anything that pisses off the habs or lightning fanbases is fine by me. THey can dial 911 and cry about asterisk cups galore!

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

This is exactly why the Ottawa Senators need to win a cup before the Leafs and especially the Canadiens again. There are too many casual fans in this city, and too many rival fans who grew up and live here.

The thought of Montreal winning a cup this year was unbearable, and would have been a huge blow to the growth of the Senators fanbase here in Ottawa and the greater Ottawa area.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is exactly why the Ottawa Senators need to win a cup before the Leafs and especially the Canadiens again. There are too many casual fans in this city, and too many rival fans who grew up and live here.

The thought of Montreal winning a cup this year was unbearable, and would have been a huge blow to the growth of the Senators fanbase here in Ottawa and the greater Ottawa area.

Honestly, at this point I don't think even a Cup win would sway fans. Just look at New York....Islanders had a dynasty and the Devils have three cups, but the Rangers will always rule the entire region.

It's damned near impossible to usurp an original six team. It's just something we have to live with. And holy shit, we have two of those O6 buggers in our backyard.

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario

Exactly this. I couldn't wrap my head around ottawa fans pulling for Montreal just because they're a Canadian team. It's bad enough that toronto and montreal fans dominate our home games and act like goons; we'd never hear the end if they won.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Yeah just think for a second a Montreal restaurant trying to put Sens/Leafs banners during their cup run. Better have some good insurance

Honestly, at this point I don't think even a Cup win would sway fans. Just look at New York....Islanders had a dynasty and the Devils have three cups, but the Rangers will always rule the entire region.

It's damned near impossible to usurp an original six team. It's just something we have to live with. And holy shit, we have two of those O6 buggers in our backyard.

And the 2 biggest canadian/hockey markets too. That's why it was very surprising to see Sens fans rejoicing of Habs/Leafs success. It can't be good for the Sens, all it does is the franchise to lose more "ground", something they already don't have in spades.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Not as disgraceful as lighting up the CN tower. At least those banners weren't put up after a series loss the them.

This city used to have a lot of pride in their team. It would be nice if the organization tried harder to restore some of that.
CN is a federal building and not a city building

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
CN is a federal building and not a city building
And? That bar is privately owned. Doesn't change the fact that the entire city of Toronto and them some got to see the Canadien's colours at night. In this example, unless you drive by the place you'd have no idea.

Reactions: OD99

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
And? That bar is privately owned. Doesn't change the fact that the entire city of Toronto and them some got to see the Canadien's colours at night. In this example, unless you drive by the place you'd have no idea.
cause a federal building represents all of canada so its not disgraceful

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
cause a federal building represents all of canada so its not disgraceful
So why didn't they fly the Jets colours after they defeated the Oilers?

Its disgraceful in the same a way a private bar owner that doesn't represent all of Ottawa wishes to put up Habs banners.

Federal or not, the example here in Ottawa is tame in comparison.

Reactions: Back in Black

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Again, why does it have to be one or the other? Can players not be encouraged to speak their mind and avoid cliches but also be fair game for what they decide to say? If you are going to make a public comment that will be heard by millions, then expect to get some replies.

Kucherov has every right to say what he is really thinking, and Montreal fans are allowed to not like his opinion, and fire back.
I didn't mean to imply Montreal fans aren't allowed to be pissy about the comments, just that I have no issue with it from Kucherov's end. Honestly, I think this sort of stuff is good for the league. Gets people talking and fans reacting passionately.

I would agree that it shouldn't have to be two extremes, but we just don't seem to get that. Even on something like the Wally & Meth show, its been a lot of non answers veiled in the same clichés.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box

216919058_3912979275477898_186422311556216420_n.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad