Habs Offseason Discussion Part V...Get it outta your system!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
They're longer deals offered on their 2nd contracts. Keep up.

And who's the comparable 7M player signed to 4 years coming off his ELC?
Or are you telling that this hypothetical contract is more similar to 5x5 than one like OEL of 6x5?
Man you're desperate..

So what, they're still players that are going to become UFA in their supposed primed years which is your whole argument as to why you don't want PK signed to a longer deal off his ELC.

So 6 years would have been good for you? Or will you play the ''let me avoid the question'' game?
Better yet, do you think Phx made a mistake with OEL? He's set to become UFA at 28. Or will you avoid this question too?

I'll help you out... it's an hypothetical contract based on a RUMORED deal where apparentlly the BASE of said contract is 5X5...

and you're trying to turn this into something realistic ? really ? :laugh:

-> 8 years, till he's 33, is more than fine. :nod:

little warrior is back, I see :naughty:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
They're longer deals offered on their 2nd contracts. Keep up.

And who's the comparable 7M player signed to 4 years coming off his ELC?
Or are you telling that this hypothetical contract is more similar to 5x5 than one like OEL of 6x5?
Man you're desperate..

So what, they're still players that are going to become UFA in their supposed primed years which is your whole argument as to why you don't want PK signed to a longer deal off his ELC.

So 6 years would have been good for you? Or will you play the ''let me avoid the question'' game?
Better yet, do you think Phx made a mistake with OEL? He's set to become UFA at 28. Or will you avoid this question too?

they were for more than 5 years. Keep up.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'll help you out... it's an hypothetical contract based on a RUMORED deal where apparentlly the BASE of said contract is 5X5...

and you're trying to turn this into something realistic ? really ? :laugh:

-> 8 years, till he's 33, is more than fine. :nod:

little warrior is back, I see :naughty:

Well hey, why not say 8M then? Heck, make it 1 year for 9M, or 2y. If you're going to through absurd numbers out there like 7M and disregard the fact he hadn't earned that big of a cap hit, might as well keep through illogical numbers.

Yes, 8years from 25-33, at 9M. Woohoo!
Now, let's keep discussing what you were saying before, you know, the importance of saving money from young players..
:facepalm:

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Remind me, when does training camp start? The wait hasn't been as long this year as last because the Habs got 6 games into the 3rd round, they signed Subban, Markov, and Eller, and they picked up some interesting prospects. My greatest disappointment was Vanek and my greatest pleasure was seeing the teams shaking hands in TD Garden after the 7th game, mit Carey über Tuukka noch einmal! Ich freue mich darauf, mehr von der gleichen! Je suis impatient de plus de la même! (I look forward to more of the same!) Let's go Habs! {The grouchy Teufelsdreck is on vacation.)

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Remind me, when does training camp start? The wait hasn't been as long this year as last because the Habs got 6 games into the 3rd round, they signed Subban, Markov, and Eller, and they picked up some interesting prospects. My greatest disappointment was Vanek and my greatest pleasure was seeing the teams shaking hands in TD Garden after the 7th game, mit Carey über Tuukka noch einmal! Ich freue mich darauf, mehr von der gleichen! Je suis impatient de plus de la même! (I look forward to more of the same!) Let's go Habs! {The grouchy Teufelsdreck is on vacation.)

Hehe. Curiously on this board you chose to translate the French rather than the German. But I approve of your sentiments. And your grouchlessness.

Edit: I realize the texts are similar, with the exception of Carey kicking Tuuka's butt. Pretty sure I'm one of the very few.

Last edited:

MauriceTheGreat*

Now, let's keep discussing what you were saying before, you know, the importance of saving money from young players..

Seriously, do you prefer a 5x5 contract where pk becomes UFA at 28? Then get a 10.5-11m contract crazy contract? Or him being locked up for ALL of his PRIME until h'es 33?PK value is probably gonna be higher in 3 years. You can only compare his contract to Phaneuf and Kane\Toews who all got absurd numbers too. You have to pay to buy UFA years.

Fact is, the bridge contract will save eventually save cap space in our contending years.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Seriously, do you prefer a 5x5 contract where pk becomes UFA at 28? Then get a 10.5-11m contract crazy contract? Or him being locked up for ALL of his PRIME until h'es 33?PK value is probably gonna be higher in 3 years. You can only compare his contract to Phaneuf and Kane\Toews who all got absurd numbers too. You have to pay to buy UFA years.

Fact is, the bridge contract will save eventually save cap space in our contending years.

This debate is so damn pedantic, hysterical, somewhat amusing, and pointless.

The truth is that both sides have some legitimate arguments. We'll know in 3 or 4 years if it made an atom of difference.

Continue fighting for the meatless bone guys, or invent another debate to cannibalize each other in until rookie camp starts. That would be a new challenge, no?

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Hehe. Curiously on this board you chose to translate the French rather than the German. But I approve of your sentiments. And your grouchlessness.
The French, German, and English I employed are equivalent. That just about exhausts my linguistic bag of tricks. I know a little Russian--actually, very little, izvinite (Извините), which means "sorry."

As for the absence of my grouchiness, maybe it was the late hour and I hadn't fully refilled my grouch glands. Right now I'm unarmed. I've even forgotten whom I've placed on my Ignore list (I hope no one reminds me while I'm in this benign state of mind).

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Yes, I would absolutely love to have PK at a 5M pricetag for at least over the next 3 years. Why wouldn't anybody?? You're seriously telling me you would be complaining about having PK at 5M for the next 3 years??? I wouldn't believe you even if you said yes.

Our contending years? When is that? 4 years from now? Can you tell me anything about what our team will look like in 4-5-6 years? No. So how can you possibly say that we're going to eventually be saving space when in contention? We were 2 wins away from the Stanley Cup finals. Our contention window opened. There's a few missing pieces but management is gambling on the kids. It worked for them before, so I can see why they'd go for it again.

I would be very happy to have PK at 5M for the next few years, and so would every other Habs fan. Nobody would even be talking about his UFA days, and as soon the summer before his last contract year would start, people would be discussing extending him asap, but not one person would be saying that the 5x5 was a stupid or bad decision. Not to mention, you're talking about 4M extra wiggle room.

MauriceTheGreat*

Yes, I would absolutely love to have PK at a 5M pricetag for at least over the next 3 years. Why wouldn't anybody?? You're seriously telling me you would be complaining about having PK at 5M for the next 3 years??? I wouldn't believe you even if you said yes.

Our contending years? When is that? 4 years from now? Can you tell me anything about what our team will look like in 4-5-6 years? No. So how can you possibly say that we're going to eventually be saving space when in contention? We were 2 wins away from the Stanley Cup finals. Our contention window opened. There's a few missing pieces but management is gambling on the kids. It worked for them before, so I can see why they'd go for it again.

I would be very happy to have PK at 5M for the next few years, and so would every other Habs fan. Nobody would even be talking about his UFA days, and as soon the summer before his last contract year would start, people would be discussing extending him asap, but not one person would be saying that the 5x5 was a stupid or bad decision. Not to mention, you're talking about 4M extra wiggle room.

You should be scared of PK hitting UFA at 28yr in a league where salarial cap rise each year. Also we are not a contender team yet, don't start dreaming we win the cup in the next 3 years or never. We are waiting for the youngsters to take their place (aka Galchenyuk first center, Bealieu and Tinner full time in the lineup, DLR, etc). We are not a contending team with that forward group unless Price suddently become Dominic Hasek. Keep thinking MB is making a horrible job because he's thinking long therm instead of short-mid therm :laugh:

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Well hey, why not say 8M then? Heck, make it 1 year for 9M, or 2y. If you're going to through absurd numbers out there like 7M and disregard the fact he hadn't earned that big of a cap hit, might as well keep through illogical numbers.

so, how's that new gig as Molson accountant ?

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

what do you mean, AT LEAST 3 years ? is there ANY indication it could have been more or you're just pulling stuff out of your ass ?

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Ah man is every thread going to be tainted with bridge deal talk??? This is getting ridiculous. There's a dump ster to deposit all this garbage, dont pollute the other threads.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Are people still questioning PK's value to the habs???????

Hes worth what he got...29 other GMs would have GLADLY given him that....if you don't like it you should go cheer for the leafs.

CHaracter79

Apr 21, 2014

you do realize that over the 5 in question you arent saving all that much. i mean.. maybe 6 million. and although that may seem like a lot to you... it really isnt.

however, in order to keep him past those 5 years, for another 5.. itll probably cost you 10-12 million per year. lets say 11 for arguments sake....

thats still 10 million of savings...

but the important thing is.. the past two years we had tons of cap space with his 2.5 AAV

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
huh no, people against the bridge deal are going with the RUMOR of a 5X5 deal two years ago (meaning he'd only have 3 years left on it before becoming UFA), so it's next 3 years vs next 8 years, compplaining about the bridge because you are i9n favor of having PK longterm makes no sense at all...

simple, given his play it was pretty clear PK would eventually cost LOTS of money and that pretty much every team would be interested in such a player... he's the exception, not the kind of guy you sign on the cheap for 4 or 5 years thinking "bah, ay worst we'll sign a comparable UFA when his contrat is up", no, you make sure to have him as long as possible, if it cost you more, so be it. Last thing you do is put yourself in a position where you risk losing him for free while he's in his prime...

you may not remember, but there was a time not long ago, before Subban was a Habs, where not having Markov in the lineup pretty much guaranteed a Habs loss, PK is in that category when it comes to impact on the team... you want players who can have such an impact on your team to play for you as long as possible... even if it means paying more.

at the age Beaulieu is right now, PK was already playing on the first pair, even in the PO, Beaulieu is fighting to get a spot on the team... comparing both is stupid.

nope, no guarantees, but Nygren is 24 already and doesnt have a single NHL game played, and we already have our three guys on the right, PK, Gilbert and Weaver...

huh, YOU are the one who talked about him having the potential to be special... YOU're the one who brought this up not me.

I don't want to get into another PK debate there's another dozen threads for that but people who wanted to sign PK long term after his ELC wanted to do so because they knew it would end up being a bargain deal very quickly. Which the rumored 5x5 would have been from day 1.

Getting talent at a cheap price is exactly the same point you were using to not want to trade Beaulieu.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

I think our contending years are right now.

At the end of the day we got 2 years of PK for cheap followed by 8+ years at market value. We could have had 5 years of PK for cheap followed by 8+ years at market value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad