Germany
Or not..

Markov-Emelin
Tinordi-Subban
Gorges-Diaz
Bouillon
Beaulieu

What's the problem?

The problem is not having defensemen that are defensive minded enough. If the series against the Sens showed anything is how bad our defense was in our own end. We couldn't clear our crease at all. Every time, we'd just leave one of the Sens forwards stand in front of Price and our defensemen would not be able to do anything about it. Emelin out didn't help. However I don't get the impression that the outcome would have been much different even if he were present.

There's still room for our current defensive defensemen to improve in these regards. But how soon do we need it to happen?

Offensively speaking, we have no issues from our defense.

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
The pool is lessen more and more by Friday.

I think we'd be lucky at this point if we got our hands on Dustin Penner. Not bad but not great.

I think players we might end up left with to bid on are:

Viktor Stalberg
Dustin Penner
Boyd Gordon
Ron Hainsey
Max Lapierre
Mark Fistric

Nothing major but depth players. I just don't see us making any "BIG" acquisitions.

cap10bfl

Apr 18, 2007
Laval, Qc
The problem is not having defensemen that are defensive minded enough. If the series against the Sens showed anything is how bad our defense was in our own end. We couldn't clear our crease at all. Every time, we'd just leave one of the Sens forwards stand in front of Price and our defensemen would not be able to do anything about it. Emelin out didn't help. However I don't get the impression that the outcome would have been much different even if he were present.

There's still room for our current defensive defensemen to improve in these regards. But how soon do we need it to happen?

this and emelin is out untill december

Marc-E-

Sep 19, 2004
Montréal, Québec
Ribeiro would do wonders for our team in the short term. We never really replaced him since Gainey huffed that can of paint and traded him. He's a legitimate #1 centre in the league and he's better than Pleks as a point producer.

Anyway, he's not coming here so there's no point talking about it and Eller/Galchenyuk and grow into the role.

Ribeiro isn't my ideal team player and it doesn't improve size down the middle. I know he's a good hockey player, but I think he would end up in TO.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Vancouver is another team in cap hell. 16 players signed and $3m in space.

Sestito could be had cheap - didn't we try to get him on waivers? Malhotra would add depth at centre and assuming his eye issue is okay, is a great competitor. Always loved his play.

Could angle for Kessler, but Gillis is a moron and would want Subban.

That would be the demand, yes. Not because it is in any way reasonable - it's ludicrous. However, Van has no one close to replacing Kesler, thus his value will be ridiculously high.

Anywho, I would if Meszaros is worth a flyer on. Philly is practically willing to gift him away for a pick. Perhaps, we could get them to take Moen's ****** contract and if he didn't work out, it's only a year. No real harm, plenty of benefit.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Happy to hear Dupuis has re-signed in Pittsburgh...3.75 mil cap hit...wanted no part of that.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Mike Rebeiro back in MTL? Yes please!

Why? He is a poor fit for what we need. We need a big winger with size, not a small center who is afraid of his own shadow and has character issues. He'll get 5+ mil and I want no part of that.

Philly will need to move salaries.

Hartnell, Talbot, even Couturier can likely be had. On defense there are tons of rumours around Coburn and Mezsaros.

I doubt Philly trades in conference but you never know. I would not mind either of the d-men. Couturier would come at a steep price however in terms of picks or prospects. Talbot might be ok, but Hartnell has an atrocious contract.

I would be interested in Hartnell if the price made sense. Couturier is a poor fit. Tlabot, we can find guys like that on the UFA market. Coburn or Meszaros might make sense too.

Ribeiro would do wonders for our team in the short term. We never really replaced him since Gainey huffed that can of paint and traded him. He's a legitimate #1 centre in the league and he's better than Pleks as a point producer.

Anyway, he's not coming here so there's no point talking about it and Eller/Galchenyuk and grow into the role.

Plekanec is more of a legit #1 center than Ribeiro, he just gets a ton more defensive responsibility and hardly ever get the quality of linemates Ribeiro gets. Plus Plekanec is a lot better defensively and much grittier.

That would be the demand, yes. Not because it is in any way reasonable - it's ludicrous. However, Van has no one close to replacing Kesler, thus his value will be ridiculously high.

Anywho, I would if Meszaros is worth a flyer on. Philly is practically willing to gift him away for a pick. Perhaps, we could get them to take Moen's ****** contract and if he didn't work out, it's only a year. No real harm, plenty of benefit.

Kesler has injury red flags, the last 2 years he is always hurt and his production is down. His big year in 10-11 seems to have aged him 5 years. He's no longer a 70 point guy.

Dichow Stopper

Former ChuckyToGally
Aug 9, 2004
The pool is lessen more and more by Friday.

I think we'd be lucky at this point if we got our hands on Dustin Penner. Not bad but not great.

I think players we might end up left with to bid on are:

Viktor Stalberg
Dustin Penner
Boyd Gordon
Ron Hainsey
Max Lapierre
Mark Fistric

Nothing major but depth players. I just don't see us making any "BIG" acquisitions.

Gordon and Fistric would be my targets. Gordon is one of the best 4th liner in the NHL and Fistric could replace Emelin during his injury and would then be a solid 6-7 d-man to have around.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Kesler has injury red flags, the last 2 years he is always hurt and his production is down. His big year in 10-11 seems to have aged him 5 years. He's no longer a 70 point guy.

He was on a near PPG streak after coming back this season, despite playing half those games with a broken foot. His injury concerns are precisely why I said that value for him would be ludicrous, but given the Canucks have no replacement. The demand would be ludicrous. Similar can be made for us with Pacioretty. We lack forward depth and have no one close to assuming the power forward role. Therefore, Patches' value to the Habs is unrealistic to other teams.

Barring another injury though, I see Kesler bouncing back to 70 points again.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

The whole "clearing the crease" thing is so massively overrated it's not funny.

First of all, Chicago won the cup with MAYBE one guy you'd classify as a "crease cleaner" in Seabrook. Boston has a few forward that like to park themselves in front, yet they lost the series. Why? Because Crawford other than a few hiccups played a ton better than Price. Most of the goals scored in that series were not somebody parked in front getting 3-4 hacks, in fact I can only recall ONE that was scored this way. I could see adding a Komisarek or Fistric to help until Emelin is back plus provide depth.

With Beaulieu and Tinordi on the way, size on defense will not be an issue down the road.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
He was on a near PPG streak after coming back this season, despite playing half those games with a broken foot. His injury concerns are precisely why I said that value for him would be ludicrous, but given the Canucks have no replacement. The demand would be ludicrous. Similar can be made for us with Pacioretty. We lack forward depth and have no one close to assuming the power forward role. Therefore, Patches' value to the Habs is unrealistic to other teams.

Barring another injury though, I see Kesler bouncing back to 70 points again.

With Pacioretty's contract and production, it would require quite an offer to move him. Usually guys like him have a 5.5-6 mil cap hit.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
My Wishlist!!!

Matt Cullen
Vaclav Prospal
Brendan Morrow
Brian McGrattan
Rob Scuderi
Viktor Stallberg

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
My Wishlist!!!

Matt Cullen
Vaclav Prospal
Brendan Morrow
Brian McGrattan
Rob Scuderi
Viktor Stallberg

Most of those make sense, but Cullen and Stalberg?

Cullen is a center and we already have 3 as good or better. Stalberg is big and soft, don't like spending on a guy like that with tougher/grittier players.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Why would we want Briere? That's a head scratcher to me. I'd rather try and get a Malone at 3.5 mil cap hit than another small winger, unless they move DD but I'm not convinced Briere is any better plus he has durability issues.

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Most of those make sense, but Cullen and Stalberg?

Cullen is a center and we already have 3 as good or better. Stalberg is big and soft, don't like spending on a guy like that with tougher/grittier players.

Cullen can also be use at wing, I like this player alot!!!

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
I also like thoses players as well

Max Lapierre
Boyd Gordon
Damien Brunner
Ryan Jones
Clarke MacCarthur

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
How was last season? We finished 2nd in the conference and we have 2 1st round picks that could be ready next season. When healthy, our D core is fine, it's our offense that needs an influx of talent and toughness.

That is the problem right there. We lost Emeiln and the D was in shambles. Can't be that dependant on one player. Need to get bigger and meaner on the D and we haven't replaced the goals Ryder provided on the wing. I think that is why we are kicking tires on Briere. A 1 yr 1.5 mill deal might give us 50-60 games of him on the wing and you never know.

There is no one available that will give us 25-30 goals on the wing that we lost.

So to recap: 1 big mean top 4 sob on D, 1 big mean sob 3rd liner and a scoring top 6 winger. Ya, we need more than 9 million...:( 2 out of 3 ain't bad.

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
what a brutal list

only way to improve the team is through trade or our young prospects.

FA pool is filled with guys way past their prime, or guys who we have plenty of.

Only guy i would sign is Matt Hendricks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad