Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I don't get the comparison. Also, draft pick this year are at a premium in terms of value so the 34th pick is like a 1st round. IMO Diaz has good value with his cheap contract. Moen still holds good value even if many here trow him under the bus. Beaulieu is a blue chip prospect.
Maybe the value overall for those trades wasn't all there but it wasn't quantity vs quality.

Beaulieu << Bogosian.

You then throw in White and a 2nd. The 2nd is worth very little, and white gas either zero value or negative value.

These quantity for quality trades rarely happen.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
For those of you who want to sign Lecavalier if TBay buys him out, we might have some competition. He was almost dealt to the Leafs:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/nhl_trips_up_buyouts_90sX16wV28TR1GtnCDS8ZO

Lecavalier to me is a guy still living off his glory of 7-8 years ago. Not worth the hype or his contract. I hope he doesn't end up here, let Eller and Galchenyuk develop into young #1 and 2 guys in 4-5 years.

Beaulieu << Bogosian.

You then throw in White and a 2nd. The 2nd is worth very little, and white gas either zero value or negative value.

How is a 2nd worth very little? Lots of good players are drafted in the 2nd round.

While White doesn't have great value, being a RFA he can't have negative value because if they don't want him they just non tender or tarde him. ZERO risk. Plus, he's a useful 4th line/13th forward type guy.

I wouldn't hate this trade, I'm on the fence. Bogosian would be a nice piece to add to the top 4, I think he still has another level or two to go and he is already a solid #3-4. However, I would have to give up the upside of Beaulieu, he is a dynamic skater, has excellent hockey sense and offensive skill and enough of an edge to be a good defensive player to boot. He has the upside to be a guy like Letang.

Last edited:

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Bergevin has signed these four players: PK, Moen, Desharnais and Bouillon.
MB also signed Pacioretty.

Many have proposed to trade or buy back DD.
You are proposing to trade Moen and Bouillon.

So basically, you are saying that the GM should undo almost every contract he did.
You should ask him to sign a resignation letter at the same time.
:shakehead

Do you really think that MB will trade Moen and Bouillon?
BTW, Moen has a NMC.

I think Moen was extended by the Ghost and not Bergevin. My memory is a little foggy so don't hold me to this.

That being said, I don't think it matters if you signed a player and end up trading them. They are mutually exclusive. Most players are traded by the GM who signed them.

What does that have to do with anything?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I think Moen was extended by the Ghost and not Bergevin. My memory is a little foggy so don't hold me to this.

That being said, I don't think it matters if you signed a player and end up trading them. They are mutually exclusive. Most players are traded by the GM who signed them.

What does that have to do with anything?

Moen was signed June 29th of last year.

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
The Habs should sign Matt Cooke. Hes one of the most hated player. And I'd like to have him run the Bruins and the Sens. Next year, the division changes, and its even more important. Imagine a line of Cooke and Prust. :/

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
Beaulieu << Bogosian.

Perhaps White would be liitle to no value in this trade but stills hold value. Second round picks usely has less value but this draft is a sapecial draft accoding to many expert. Beaulieu is still raw in some aspect of the game but has great upsides.
Also quantity for quality happens all the time in trades now days. Value are assest in the talent first and for most but age, contract and lenght of contrac holds more value now then ever.
The point was mainly to say that there are trades outthere to make that would help this team more then signing UFA. If poeple think we can get a Bickel for less then 4/year, they are dreaming. Only the Hawks will have that discount imo.

Lecavalier to me is a guy still living off his glory of 7-8 years ago. Not worth the hype or his contract. I hope he doesn't end up here, let Eller and Galchenyuk develop into young #1 and 2 guys in 4-5 years.

How is a 2nd worth very little? Lots of good players are drafted in the 2nd round.

While White doesn't have great value, being a RFA he can't have negative value because if they don't want him they just non tender or tarde him. ZERO risk. Plus, he's a useful 4th line/13th forward type guy.

I wouldn't hate this trade, I'm on the fence. Bogosian would be a nice piece to add to the top 4, I think he still has another level or two to go and he is already a solid #3-4. However, I would have to give up the upside of Beaulieu, he is a dynamic skater, has excellent hockey sense and offensive skill and enough of an edge to be a good defensive player to boot. He has the upside to be a guy like Letang.

That the way I see it. IMO, targeting players like Bogosian for exemple is the way to go. He's still groing his game and IMO the price would be acceptable.
As Habs fans, we usely sell our player short or think to much of them.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
The Habs should sign Matt Cooke. Hes one of the most hated player. And I'd like to have him run the Bruins and the Sens. Next year, the division changes, and its even more important. Imagine a line of Cooke and Prust. :/

I would have prefered Torres but Cooke isn't a bad fallback option.

Last edited:

KingRoy33

Sep 7, 2010
Started thinking today about players that will likely be bought out and 1 player came to mind. I know you all might start bashing me because it's been talked about for years but lets say Lecavalier is bought out by Tampa. Why not give him a 1 or 2 yr contract at a small figure and maybe he can revive his career in Mtl. If we were to go down that road then maybe we can look at trading DD or Pleks, whoever bring more value. We all agree we need more size up the middle so why not give it a shot, he's a cup winner.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal

Cooke bothers the hell out of teams like Boston, Toronto, Ottawa and company. The problem with Cooke is he will start **** but won't finish it and guys like Moen will have to take a beating for him. It wouldn't last long. `

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Cooke is an agitator, that would be fine if we had a team that could back him up...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
*I'm a Price fan, not a detractor, and do think he'll be a top-3/5 goalie for next decade*

crazy enough it just might work?

To Edmonton
Price
Gionta
Vancouver 1st (24th)
Dallas 3rd (71st, from mtl)

To Mtl
Yakupov
Luongo
Ballard
Eager

To Vancouver
Hemsky
Mtl 6th (176)

- yes, we take on two abysmal contracts
- yes, we give up price
- yes, we take on risk of Luongo handling pressure of montreal

--> in moving Price (6.5) & Gionta (5), we're opening up 11.5M in cap space, while taking on ~13.5, so only really +2M$, while adding 2 roster players.

--> for next 3-4 years, Luongo-Price is probably a pretty even swap, as/if Price pulls away, we have Yakupov hitting his prime to show for it

--> Vancouver has a pretty intense spotlight, and he handled home olympics pretty well, i think he's well prepared to handle what montreal has to offer

Ballard is not quite as bad as he's made out to be, could be a good pairing with Markov until Emelin gets back. Change of scenery & return to Eastern conference might get him closer to Florida Ballard than Vancouver Ballard.

Eager adds a bookend to Prust... takes some of pressure off of him & while he didn't relish "enforcer" role in Edm, with Prust taking the heavy load, might thrive as the "2nd" tough guy. Can play better than most gritty 4th line guys.

Yakupov... don't need to say much... Galch - Yakupov - MaxPac - Gallagher - Eller... that's a mighty fine core of talented young players up front to get excited about over next 5-7 years.

we'd still have a bit of cap space ~7M$, with only 2 roster spots to fill... maybe get really lucky and sign Bickell in the 3.75M$-4.25M$ range and throw him on the 2nd line...

Bourque - Pleks - Gallagher
MaxPac - DD - Bickell
Galch - Eller - Yakupov
Prust/Moen/Eager/White/Halpern/Dumont (let camp decide who starts the season with Prust on the 4th line)

Subban - Gorges
Ballard (emelin) - Markov
Tinordi - Diaz
Bouillion

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
*I'm a Price fan, not a detractor, and do think he'll be a top-3/5 goalie for next decade*

To Edmonton
Price
Gionta
Vancouver 1st (24th)

To Mtl
Yakupov
Luongo
Ballard
Eager

To Vancouver
Hemsky
Mtl 6th (176)

- yes, we give up price

--> in moving Price (6.5) & Gionta (5), we're opening up 11.5M in cap space, while taking on ~13.5, so only really +2M$, while adding 2 roster players.

--> for next 3-4 years, Luongo-Price is probably a pretty even swap, as/if Price pulls away, we have Yakupov hitting his prime to show for it

--> Vancouver has a pretty intense spotlight, and he handled home olympics pretty well, i think he's well prepared to handle what montreal has to offer

Ballard is not quite as bad as he's made out to be, could be a good pairing with Markov until Emelin gets back. Change of scenery & return to Eastern conference might get him closer to Florida Ballard than Vancouver Ballard.

Eager adds a bookend to Prust... takes some of pressure off of him & while he didn't relish "enforcer" role in Edm, with Prust taking the heavy load, might thrive as the "2nd" tough guy. Can play better than most gritty 4th line guys.

Yakupov... don't need to say much... Galch - Yakupov - MaxPac - Gallagher - Eller... that's a mighty fine core of talented young players up front to get excited about over next 5-7 years.

we'd still have a bit of cap space ~7M$, with only 2 roster spots to fill... maybe get really lucky and sign Bickell in the 3.75M$-4.25M$ range and throw him on the 2nd line...

MaxPac - DD - Bickell
Galch - Eller - Yakupov
Prust/Moen/Eager/White/Halpern/Dumont (let camp decide who starts the season with Prust on the 4th line)

Subban - Gorges
Tinordi - Diaz
Bouillion

I like it but I don't think Edmonton would. That's not much return for Yakupov and Hemsky.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

To Edmonton
Price
Gionta
Vancouver 1st (24th)

To Mtl
Yakupov
Luongo
Ballard
Eager

To Vancouver
Hemsky
Mtl 6th (176)

- yes, we give up price

MaxPac - DD - Bickell
Galch - Eller - Yakupov

Subban - Gorges
Tinordi - Diaz
Bouillion
Sorry but I don't like it. Yakupov isn't good enough to justify making that kind of move in my opinion. And do you really want to have Luongo's contract on the books 5 years from now?

dreamingofdrouin*

i want mcgrattan in the offseason...i just realized he's ufa....anyone else want this...like..really badly

Scotianhab

Aug 2, 2005
Nova Scotia
I'd trade our 55th or 71st pick for Cal Clutterbuck. Minny needs the cap space and a late 2nd or 3rd might be tempting for them.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I'd trade our 55th or 71st pick for Cal Clutterbuck. Minny needs the cap space and a late 2nd or 3rd might be tempting for them.

I'd prefer Bickell, but if we can't sign him then yes I guess Clutterbuck is an option after the UFA period but the pick would be for next year

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
i want mcgrattan in the offseason...i just realized he's ufa....anyone else want this...like..really badly

I'd prefer to get a heavyweight that could play hockey. None of them available in the UFA market, but LA seems loaded on NHL forwards. I'd go after Nolan. The kid can really fight and can play ~10 min a game

Drive425

Jul 24, 2006
St Louis Du Haha
I'd prefer to get a heavyweight that could play hockey. None of them available in the UFA market, but LA seems loaded on NHL forwards. I'd go after Nolan. The kid can really fight and can play ~10 min a game

Any discussion on Clowe? This guy can and does fight, I know he had a rough season but I think he'd make a good addition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad