Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here) VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bourdain

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 25, 2008
Sign every player above 6'3", trade those under.

Might as well go ahead and include on the Stanley Cup, dynasty I tell ya!

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
In there heads it's a possibility.

They never look at it the other way. Would we trade the 5th overall for Tim Gleason ? **** no.

It doesn't matter what we think the value of the #5 pick is worth if all Rutherford wants is a top-4 D and a 1st. Then I'd be happy to rip him off.

Jmac1160*

Sign every player above 6'3", trade those under.

Might as well go ahead and include on the Stanley Cup, dynasty I tell ya!

We should trade Subban while his value is so high for big John Scott. And please don't give me this BS that it's a low ball offer from the Habs. Because it is. John Scott is 6'8 he's a legend. Subban is 6'2 what a vagine.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Habitant le colon

Un partisan
Feb 6, 2008
another planet
was looking to change the habs via younger element shall we try to trade actual player for rookie or young nhl player? :

What would be the value of Brock Nelson, Alex Chiasson and Cal Clutterbuck ???

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I did a write up on my blog of what I think Montreal should do this offseason, normally I'd just copy paste it but it's really really long, like Whitesnake draft list long :laugh: so here's the link: http://atruefrenchise.blogspot.ca/2013/06/a-busy-summer.html?m=1
Tell me what you guys think!

Good job. Lots of good names. Think Bickell will get more , wish we got him but not for insane money. I really was interested in the Grossman trade because I identified him as a target since the Flyers are deep in big guys but shy on PMDs. I don't think the Flyers would consider what you offer though, my trade was Diaz.

At centre for the 4th line I would also look at Smithson from the Oilers, hes huge, hits, over 55% face-off wins last year and was only signed for $800 000. Lappy a no, unless we really load up on fighters a la the Bruins and Marchand. I would also suggest Ryan Reaves in a trade for the 4th, only 26, hits a lot and is a capable and frequent fighter.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
I did a write up on my blog of what I think Montreal should do this offseason, normally I'd just copy paste it but it's really really long, like Whitesnake draft list long :laugh: so here's the link: http://atruefrenchise.blogspot.ca/2013/06/a-busy-summer.html?m=1

Nice summary. IMO, trades are the way, and the UFA market seems like a trap to overpay. I will admitt that if you can get Bickel at that price, I'm all for it. I would add that I'm not a big fan of Stalburg.
What I see so far is that MB has been all ears, looking for a deal IMO. Looking at St-Louis and there 1 year deal with Berglund tells me that perhaps they would like to move him. Would something around Moen work? Don't they need more natural LW?
At defense, you got to look in Winnipeg's Bogosian. I honestly beleives that there a deal to be made there. I would do Beaulieu plus another good prospect or a pick and a roster player like White, Weber and Dumont- enough?
So to some it all

To Montreal:
Berglund+ Porter
To St.Louis:
Moen+Diaz+4th

To Montreal:
Bogosian

To Winnipeg
Beaulieu+2nd(34)+White

AJMHABS

Chucky #27
Jan 30, 2011
Montreal, Qc

Solid list with a lot of viable options. I would go after Scuderi and Bickell as well Ryane Clowe, who wasn't on your list. I'm curious as to why he wasn't on your list and would like your feedback on him.:)

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Nice summary. IMO, trades are the way, and the UFA market seems like a trap to overpay. I will admitt that if you can get Bickel at that price, I'm all for it. I would add that I'm not a big fan of Stalburg.
What I see so far is that MB has been all ears, looking for a deal IMO. Looking at St-Louis and there 1 year deal with Berglund tells me that perhaps they would like to move him. Would something around Moen work? Don't they need more natural LW?
At defense, you got to look in Winnipeg's Bogosian. I honestly beleives that there a deal to be made there. I would do Beaulieu plus another good prospect or a pick and a roster player like White, Weber and Dumont- enough?
So to some it all

To Montreal:
Berglund+ Porter
To St.Louis:
Moen+Diaz+4th

To Montreal:
Bogosian

To Winnipeg
Beaulieu+2nd(34)+White

You can't trade quantity for quality.

Would you take Thornton, paille and a 2nd for Tinordi?

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007

Your options are wrong because your cap space numbers are all wrong. You've taken the Capgeek space which does not include salaries of Ryder, Halpern, and Armstrong and then proceeded to add to that the salaries of Ryder, Halpern and Armstrong making it $5.2M larger than it really is.

The Habs don't have $14M in cap space, they have $9M with 3 players to sign.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
With the buyout of Kaberle, Montreal has $9,024,167 in cap space. Michael Ryder publicly stated via his agent that he won’t re-sign with Montreal so that’s another $3,500,000 of cap space. I highly doubt Jeff Halpern and Colby Armstrong will be brought back so that’s an additional $1,700,000 in cap space. That means that Montreal will most likely have $14,224,167 to spend on 5 players come July 5th.
Wrong. we have 9M in SCap not 14M.
Ryder is not part of our SCap.

Of that SCap, you need to remove 2-3M for contingencies.

Our roster is now 20 players, we have three spots on offense.
With Tinordi, we have 8 d-men.
If you sign one UFA at 4-5M, you have enough to sign two players at 1M each.

Plus we have two RFA: White and Weber.
Weber will most likely be traded as for White we should expect him to be resigned as a 13th forward.

Habsterix*

A Habs Off-Season Filled with Questions

After every season, management sits together to debrief what went right and what went wrong with the team they govern and make decisions, sometimes tough ones, based on those evaluations. Last summer, Geoff Molson cleaned house and hired Marc Bergevin as General Manager to right the ship. One would be hard-pressed to claim that it was a bad move as the team went from 28th overall to second in the Eastern Conference, winning the division ahead of the Bruins at the same time. However, regular season’s success doesn’t mean playoffs guarantees as we all witnessed this spring.

PENTICTON, BC. – Heading into the final week before the NHL Draft, Marc Bergevin and his team are faced with some decisions. First, the amnesty buyout will be in effect a few days after the final game of the Stanley Cup finals. The Canadiens have already announced the buyout of Scott Gomez and although Bergevin stated in a recent press conference that he hadn’t made a final decision regarding Tomas Kaberle, TSN’s Bob McKenzie tweeted Sunday night that the Canadiens defenseman has already received the expected news. It’s a pretty safe bet that the Habs’ GM is taking steps to fix his predecessor’s mistakes which means, in this case, he will buyout Kaberle’s contract.

While some compliance buyouts are obvious, many others are not and we risk seeing some surprises and the current list of unrestricted free agents will look quite different when free agency opens on July fifth. The Philadelphia Flyers have already announced that they will buy out the contract of winger Daniel Brière and he should be drawing some interest across the league and the Dallas Stars might be right in the thick of those discussions after hiring Brière’s former coach in Buffalo, Lindy Ruff.

In a normal summer, NHL general managers head into the draft with a rough idea of who will be available as free agents and they can draft and/or trade accordingly. This summer however, they are in a particular situation as they have no way of knowing who they will be after on the free agents’ market and they won’t know until the buyouts’ deadline is past, a few days prior to July fifth. Marc Bergevin is in the same boat heading to this year’s draft, and he has a pocket-full of picks in the first three rounds heading to June 30th. What will he do with them?

Full article...

Last edited by a moderator:

Price My Man Crush

Aug 27, 2011
Montréal
no offense but it's not worth reading, just looking at your option list all you did is putting the names that were discussed here and al'.

And what are the other names? Tbh, I like it...good article. Good options. We'll see what Bergevin will do on July 5th. It's just too far away right now. :(

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I would go after Weber. This summer is the last chance the Preds will have a chance to trade him before his NMC kicks in.

I'm sure they'll take Gorges, Y. Weber, Desharnais and a 7th rounder.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Your options are wrong because your cap space numbers are all wrong. You've taken the Capgeek space which does not include salaries of Ryder, Halpern, and Armstrong and then proceeded to add to that the salaries of Ryder, Halpern and Armstrong making it $5.2M larger than it really is.

The Habs don't have $14M in cap space, they have $9M with 3 players to sign.

Wrong. we have 9M in SCap not 14M.
Ryder is not part of our SCap.

Of that SCap, you need to remove 2-3M for contingencies.

Our roster is now 20 players, we have three spots on offense.
With Tinordi, we have 8 d-men.
If you sign one UFA at 4-5M, you have enough to sign two players at 1M each.

Plus we have two RFA: White and Weber.
Weber will most likely be traded as for White we should expect him to be resigned as a 13th forward.
Thank you, as you guys can see I was not aware that CapGeek had already taken out their salaries, I'll make sure to edit that. I don't see Weber returning next year and White will probably be signed at 600-700k. That still leaves 9 million for 3 players. We can always trade Moen & Bouillon (when Emelin comes back) to clear cap space.
Solid list with a lot of viable options. I would go after Scuderi and Bickell as well Ryane Clowe, who wasn't on your list. I'm curious as to why he wasn't on your list and would like your feedback on him.:)
Thanks for the positive feedback :)
As for Ryane Clowe, he without a doubt brings an interesting package for our team with his size and his toughness but two things scare me with him. 1) I think his lack of speed would make him a bad fit on our team. I know I included Clarkson in my options who's not the fastest player either but that brings me to my 2nd reason. Clowe had concussion problems this season and with the style he plays I don't think he's worth the risk. He's in the same boat as a guy like Nathan Horton for me, good player but too much risk with his history of concussions. Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't take him if he came for cheap (2-2.5 million) but I don't think that has a lot of chance of happening.

otto bond

Jan 8, 2007
You can't trade quantity for quality.

Would you take Thornton, paille and a 2nd for Tinordi?

I don't get the comparison. Also, draft pick this year are at a premium in terms of value so the 34th pick is like a 1st round. IMO Diaz has good value with his cheap contract. Moen still holds good value even if many here trow him under the bus. Beaulieu is a blue chip prospect.
Maybe the value overall for those trades wasn't all there but it wasn't quantity vs quality.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
Thank you, as you guys can see I was not aware that CapGeek had already taken out their salaries, I'll make sure to edit that. I don't see Weber returning next year and White will probably be signed at 600-700k. That still leaves 9 million for 3 players. We can always trade Moen & Bouillon (when Emelin comes back) to clear cap space.

Thanks for the positive feedback :)
As for Ryane Clowe, he without a doubt brings an interesting package for our team with his size and his toughness but two things scare me with him. 1) I think his lack of speed would make him a bad fit on our team. I know I included Clarkson in my options who's not the fastest player either but that brings me to my 2nd reason. Clowe had concussion problems this season and with the style he plays I don't think he's worth the risk. He's in the same boat as a guy like Nathan Horton for me, good player but too much risk with his history of concussions. Now that doesn't mean I wouldn't take him if he came for cheap (2-2.5 million) but I don't think that has a lot of chance of happening.
Bergevin has signed these four players: PK, Moen, Desharnais and Bouillon.
MB also signed Pacioretty.

Many have proposed to trade or buy back DD.
You are proposing to trade Moen and Bouillon.

So basically, you are saying that the GM should undo almost every contract he did.
You should ask him to sign a resignation letter at the same time.
:shakehead

Do you really think that MB will trade Moen and Bouillon?
BTW, Moen has a NMC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad