Post-Game Talk: Habs obliterate the Champs!!! Blues beaten 6-3!

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
2nd & 5th
Which was a hefty amount for a Dman with his resume at the time... Definitely a deadline premium.

It was a gamble that has paid off nicely for us, and that gave the Oilers a very good return for a player they weren't planning to re-sign.

Let's try to minimize the revisionist history, shall we?

First off, I disagree that it was considered a hefty amount to give up at the time. I'd say it was about market value at the time for a rental. I think he was generally considered an okay player, and it was an okay return, who just happened to have a right shot.

But whether we think it's a hefty or fair price at the time is irrelevant because it's an incomplete analysis.

That's a story that writes itself over time. Our perception of Petry has definitely changed in a big way from the acquisition date, and so it naturally affects the trade perception.

It's what we all love to see happen in trades. Find underperforming or mismanaged players, and have them grow into something far greater than what you paid for.

Reactions: McTusk

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Were Alzner, Schlemko, Streit, Hemsky, Nesterov, Joe Morrow, Logan Shaw, Dwight King, Martinsen, and Steve Ott also part of that vision?
Every GM has guys that come and go and not cost you anything.

Wanna talk about the great trades AGAIN.

Paddyjack

Dec 10, 2007
Sherbrooke

I agree with what you mean, however the context here is important. The reason why MB failed big in some of these trades, especially King, Ott and Martinsen is that he brought them to bring something special in the playoffs but they were completely useless. You can add Smith-Pelly to the mix. Even at the time he did the trade it was looking bad, and to most of us it showed his limitations as a DG.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

That is true. And I've liked what MB has done in the bargain bin. But Alzner and Schlemko cost us a lot of cap space.

The Petry trade was a great trade. But no way Bergevin saw the league going faster at that time. If he had, he wouldn't have put together the slow, attrocious dcore he did the year that led us to drafting KK #3 overall - and said "the defense will be better this year."

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
First off, I disagree that it was considered a hefty amount to give up at the time. I'd say it was about market value at the time for a rental. I think he was generally considered an okay player, and it was an okay return, who just happened to have a right shot.

But whether we think it's a hefty or fair price at the time is irrelevant because it's an incomplete analysis.

That's a story that writes itself over time. Our perception of Petry has definitely changed in a big way from the acquisition date, and so it naturally affects the trade perception.

It's what we all love to see happen in trades. Find underperforming or mismanaged players, and have them grow into something far greater than what you paid for.

Whatever...

Most deadline rental prices are hefty, that isn't exactly the controversial comment you're making it out to be.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az

The bottom line is you usually need a couple of years to truly analyze a trade.
To give up just a second and a fifth for Petry is highway robbery.
Some people on this board refer to trades like this as "lateral moves" which is so laughable because they've become anything but. I guess these guys are wanting to get McDavid for a bag of pucks. Now that might get them to acknowledge what a great trade it truly was!!

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Some people on this board refer to trades like this as "lateral moves" which is so laughable because they've become anything but. I guess these guys are wanting to get McDavid for a bag of pucks. Now that might get them to acknowledge what a great trade it truly was!!

You're wrong.....it would be like......... ''MB got lucky there'' :help:

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
The bottom line is you usually need a couple of years to truly analyze a trade.
To give up just a second and a fifth for Petry is highway robbery.

:huh:

You don't need a couple of years to analyze that trade. It was a deadline move and the goal was to acquire immediate help.

Petry wanted out and had to shipped out of town in a hurry, in that regard the Oil did decently well here. There is really nothing unusual to playoffs team to pay that price for a pending-UFA at the deadline.

The only way this trade can be qualified as "great" is if you only compare it to Bergie's other deadlines bolstering moves which were mostly awful and grossly inadequate.

Thad said, you can give credit to Marc for re-signing Petry.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
:huh:

You don't need a couple of years to analyze that trade. It was a deadline move and the goal was to acquire immediate help.

Petry wanted out and had to shipped out of town in a hurry, in that regard the Oil did decently well here. There is really nothing unusual to playoffs team to pay that price for a pending-UFA at the deadline.

The only way this trade can be qualified as "great" is if you only compare it to Bergie's other deadlines bolstering moves which were mostly awful and grossly inadequate.

Thad said, you can give credit to Marc for re-signing Petry.
Why didn't other teams grab Petry. I don't care about the circumstances of the trade and when it happened and why.

Just that he didn't give up much for a first rate defenseman.

What about getting Danault for Weise and Fleishman? How did he pull that off? Was that a lateral move (whatever that means).

Wow I'm so impressed with how little he gives up for these very good players.

Last edited:

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Why didn't other teams grab Petry. I don't care about the circumstances of the trade and when it happened and why.

Just that he didn't give up much for a first rate defenseman.

What about getting Danault for Weise and Fleishman? How did he pull that off? Was that a lateral move (whatever that means).

Wow I'm so impressed with how little he gives up for these very good players.
All these very good players and trade wins, it's amazing that we can't make the playoffs, amazing.

Reactions: Justin11

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

What does it say about a GMs work in general if he mostly makes "great" trades, but the more personnel moves he makes, the more his team sinks, to the point of franchise worst results ?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Were Alzner, Schlemko, Streit, Hemsky, Nesterov, Joe Morrow, Logan Shaw, Dwight King, Martinsen, and Steve Ott also part of that vision?

Subtract the depth players around $1M/1 year. Using that as part of your argument is weak. Alzner was a bad signing. Rest are low risk type signings or trades.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
All these very good players and trade wins, it's amazing that we can't make the playoffs, amazing.

Galchenyuk busting at center was a huge setback from what we expected in 2012. 12/13 drafts were also very disappointing in terms of the picks we had.

Bergevin is guilty of adding depth around the core where we stayed middle of the pack. He may be making the same mistake again today... we will see

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Subtract the depth players around $1M/1 year. Using that as part of your argument is weak. Alzner was a bad signing. Rest are low risk type signings or trades.

I'm in favor of experimenting. But some depth players cost us draft picks and/or playing time for other players.

Did we really need to see Logan Shaw for 30 games?

Is giving up a 4th for Dwight King a sign of having a vision of where the game is going?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm in favor of experimenting. But some depth players cost us draft picks and/or playing time for other players.

Did we really need to see Logan Shaw for 30 games?

Is giving up a 4th for Dwight King a sign of having a vision of where the game is going?

All teams do this.... like every single one. I think you should pick on the Alzner signing as your evidence

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad