Confirmed with Link: Habs name Martin St. Louis interim head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
LOL. We'll see. I remember you were one of Ducharme's biggest supporters last Cup run. You'll be on here next season post after post wanting St.Louis fired.

No I actually wasn't. I supported him originally coming off of two coaches I detested and gave him a fair chance to show what he had. I never called him names but I was certainly disheartened once it became clear he was just another pea in the pod.

Reactions: Runner77

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
but both those two fail the intelligence test, it is not all about the wins, it is who they behave, talk inspire, and success and being winners

It's tough to get someone who can do Xs and Os strategy and also the motivational side. Tremblay motivated players, scared them, even, but he didn't understand modern power dynamics in hockey, and I doubt he really got strategy. Most coaches only do one or the other, you have the old school discipline guys, player coaches, system coaches. A few guys, maybe Trotz, are good at most aspects. Most teams just switch between types. Get a systems coach if you're team is getting outcoached, get a disciplinarian if your team is too loose, get a player coach if your team is sick of a disciplinarian.

The habs have had a series of similar coaches, and that is a pretty dumb thing to do, but at least MSL is a change. We'll see if MSL can make the jump to NHL head coaching without doing the legwork in the minors. Tremblay and Carbonneau could have been great if they'd learned the background, we'll see if St Louis can get that knowledge on his own. I hope St Louis has a source of information, books, ex-coaches, personal genius, whatever.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
It's tough to get someone who can do Xs and Os strategy and also the motivational side. Tremblay motivated players, scared them, even, but he didn't understand modern power dynamics in hockey, and I doubt he really got strategy. Most coaches only do one or the other, you have the old school discipline guys, player coaches, system coaches. A few guys, maybe Trotz, are good at most aspects. Most teams just switch between types. Get a systems coach if you're team is getting outcoached, get a disciplinarian if your team is too loose, get a player coach if your team is sick of a disciplinarian.

The habs have had a series of similar coaches, and that is a pretty dumb thing to do, but at least MSL is a change. We'll see if MSL can make the jump to NHL head coaching without doing the legwork in the minors. Tremblay and Carbonneau could have been great if they'd learned the background, we'll see if St Louis can get that knowledge on his own. I hope St Louis has a source of information, books, ex-coaches, personal genius, whatever.
the part i liked most about MSL is he is not afraid to show he dont know anything. Even asking chantal for french word. That to me is a confident man, who is not afraid of saying he dont know something and is looking to learn it.
this corresponds to what hughes said about a modern coach

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

What a breath of fresh air. I think we’ll end up being incredibly lucky we hired this guy. The team still has a ton of problems and we need a rebuild..the few wins doesn’t change that. But I think the guy has an incredible mind for the game and he’ll work wonders. It’s early, but how can you not feel giddy about him coaching our team moving forward?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
the part i liked most about MSL is he is not afraid to show he dont know anything. Even asking chantal for french word. That to me is a confident man, who is not afraid of saying he dont know something and is looking to learn it.
this corresponds to what hughes said about a modern coach

That's a good sign. Bergevin and Ducharme didn't seem to want to admit ignorance even when they were obviously out of their depths.

Reactions: Riddum and tazsub3

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
That's a good sign. Bergevin and Ducharme didn't seem to want to admit ignorance even when they were obviously out of their depths.

Lack of self-awareness is a reliable indicator of lack of intelligence.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

What a breath of fresh air. I think we’ll end up being incredibly lucky we hired this guy. The team still has a ton of problems and we need a rebuild..the few wins doesn’t change that. But I think the guy has an incredible mind for the game and he’ll work wonders. It’s early, but how can you not feel giddy about him coaching our team moving forward?

Can’t be that difficult to figure out one of his top negotiables. Gotta be effort on every shift — just as he showed as a player. Work ethic is non-negotiable. Those who drag their asses will have a spotlight on them, which is about time.

Reactions: Habsfan18

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Can’t be that difficult to figure out one of his top negotiables. Gotta be effort on every shift — just as he showed as a player. Work ethic is non-negotiable. Those who drag their asses will have a spotlight on them, which is about time.

You mean veterans will be held accountable and rookies won't just be benched as an example? Won't the other coaches kick MSL out of their little fraternity? He'll at least have to buy the drinks when they all meet up.

Reactions: tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
You mean veterans will be held accountable and rookies won't just be benched as an example? Won't the other coaches kick MSL out of their little fraternity? He'll at least have to buy the drinks when they all meet up.
got to love that. Play well you get rewarded. Such a basic nothing, and so far from, reality in habs lad for a decade.
Like what were the odds pitlick gets a shootout and plays overtime, after a solid game.
Non , would have be Gally, danault, armia etc etc back in the day

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

He might just be able to implement a meritocracy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
MSL did what nobody else thought of: he turned the team off, and back on again.
Turns out we were running on Safe Mode the whole time, not realizing most features were off.

More a matter of those features being non-existent.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019

Before the usual suspects in the media go off the rail, they should listen to MSLs language “non-negotiable”, “concept vs system”, haven’t heard analytical language & intellect from a Habs coach in my lifetime…

Scotty was before my time..

Reactions: FloJack

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
And there are still those that insist coaching doesn't matter. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad