Confirmed with Link: Habs name Martin St. Louis interim head coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'll tell you this... I thought the Leafs were going to give us a rude awakening after our 2 game winning streak and back/back games but did the Habs ever generate a lot of scoring chances. Just goes to show how important goaltending and momentum is cause the Leafs goalie let in a few soft goals where that's basically what happened to us all season long. Momentum killers that can wear on your over time.

* Leafs are 4-4 over the last 8 games allowing 3.25 goals/game.
* Leafs are 12-6-1 over the last 19 games allowing 3.21 goals/game.
* First 30 games? 20-8-2 allowing 2.5 goals/game.

Goaltending/Team Defense remains a challenge for them. Not trending well lately and it's going to be a bigger challenge in the playoffs when all teams are tight and playing sound D.

Last edited:

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I'll tell you this... I thought the Leafs were going to give us a rude awakening after our 2 game winning streak and back/back games but did the Habs ever generate a lot of scoring chances. Just goes to show how important goaltending and momentum is cause the Leafs goalie let in a few soft goals where that's basically what happened to us all season long. Momentum killers that can wear on your over time.

* Leafs are 4-4 over the last 8 games allowing 3.25 goals/game.
* Leafs are 12-6-1 over the last 19 games allowing 3.21 goals/game.
* First 30 games? 20-8-2 allowing 2.5 goals/game.

Goaltending/Team Defense remains a challenge for them. Not trending well lately and it's going to be a bigger challenge in the playoffs when all teams are tight and playing sound D.
Campbell, Mazrek and Hutton sounds like an investment firm but these three won’t steal playoff games for the Laffs whose GM still hasn’t addressed the softness of Auston, Mitch and Tavares.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
One thing seems sure to me...the more we win....and even if we don't win but we play great most of the games....MSL that already seems to gel well with his assistants will keep all of them.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Campbell, Mazrek and Hutton sounds like investment firm but these three won’t steal playoff games for the Laffs whose GM still hasn’t addressed the softness of Auston, Mitch and Tavares.

I think the backbone to the Leafs is Tavares, Muzzin and Brodie. I don't think Tavares is soft. Matthews is a gamer and he's hard to contain but the youth need those vets. Look at the value guys like Price, Weber, Perry, Eddy, Chiarot, Toffoli brought to the Habs last year?

Perry would have been a great signing for the Leafs IMO.

Leafs need Campbell to be playing his best every game in the playoffs. One bad goal and their confidence is shattered. They can't rely on their team D and goaltending like other teams can. Reality. Tough spot with the cap

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
I think the backbone to the Leafs is Tavares, Muzzin and Brodie. I don't think Tavares is soft. Matthews is a gamer and he's hard to contain but the youth need those vets. Look at the value guys like Price, Weber, Perry, Eddy, Chiarot, Toffoli brought to the Habs last year?

Perry would have been a great signing for the Leafs IMO.

Leafs need Campbell to be playing his best every game in the playoffs. One bad goal and their confidence is shattered. They can't rely on their team D and goaltending like other teams can. Reality. Tough spot with the cap
$11 M John Tavares was a bad signing and Marner’s $10.5 M was the straw that broke the cap. They had to pay Matthews since Conner McDavid got $12 M.

Tavares is an aging asset who isn’t a good captain. They should have turned over the C to Auston this season.

Reactions: Redux91

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
$11 M John Tavares was a bad signing and Marner’s $10.5 M was the straw that broke the cap. They had to pay Matthews since Conner McDavid got $12 M.

Tavares is an aging asset who isn’t a good captain. They should have turned over the C to Auston this season.

Flat Covid Cap is their problem. It totally derailed their ability to improve their flaws

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
One thing seems sure to me...the more we win....and even if we don't win but we play great most of the games....MSL that already seems to gel well with his assistants will keep all of them.

Finish that thought.

The more we win … the more likely we’re headed for a reset rather than a rebuild?

Reactions: WickedPegJets

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Gorton and Hughes have no loyalty to Burrows and Richardson and I suspect they will lose their jobs at season end. Luke should be considered a head coach candidate elsewhere.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
Finish that thought.

The more we win … the more likely we’re headed for a reset rather than a rebuild?

CLEARLY. I'm there already. A rebuild, there might be no better player to trade than a Josh Anderson. A reset ASKS YOU to NEVER think of trading him. In my opinion, he's not going anywhere. Hence...a reset. Geez, I might not even think that Rem Pitlick is in play.....tells you just how much a reset it will be....

Now, Chiarot should and will be. Start to think Petry would need a serious return and NOT taking any part of his contract. If not, he stays.

So full reset ahead. Rebuild is dead.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Gorton and Hughes have no loyalty to Burrows and Richardson and I suspect they will lose their jobs at season end. Luke should be considered a head coach candidate elsewhere.

Burrows had no business being anywhere behind an NHL bench.

He should embrace his calling right now and just do ads with Mathew Barnaby for Bet99.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Same with Letowski. Still...seeing those guys embraces and all.....hard to say....you know man...we didn't gel that much, I prefer somebody else.

Yeah, maybe one guy will leave if Martin has somebody in mind he really really wants. If he doesn't have those ties...I wouldn't be surprise to see nobody leaves.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
CLEARLY. I'm there already. A rebuild, there might be no better player to trade than a Josh Anderson. A reset ASKS YOU to NEVER think of trading him. In my opinion, he's not going anywhere. Hence...a reset. Geez, I might not even think that Rem Pitlick is in play.....tells you just how much a reset it will be....

Now, Chiarot should and will be. Start to think Petry would need a serious return and NOT taking any part of his contract. If not, he stays.

So full reset ahead. Rebuild is dead.
Why not keep Chariot if he agrees to resign for a home discount?

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Same with Letowski. Still...seeing those guys embraces and all.....hard to say....you know man...we didn't gel that much, I prefer somebody else.

Yeah, maybe one guy will leave if Martin has somebody in mind he really really wants. If he doesn't have those ties...I wouldn't be surprise to see nobody leaves.
If I was Marty, Luke intimidates me so he has to go. Hire a retired Lightning teammate like Girardi.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It would be interesting if Marty stays on as coach for a while and later transitions into like a director of player development type role when the team becomes competitive again if he ends up not being a fit as a coach.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
My theory is that the vast majority of us are talking out of our ass when it comes to whether a coach will be good or not and we can only judge coaches based on their track record.

Something resonated with me and explains a lot of my feeling towards coaches changes. There's a right coach for each teams and they are not the same.

Ducharme wasn't the right coach for the Habs and I said it on day 1 (and was destroyed here). Therrien never was the right coach to deal with all the prospect and kids we had. MSL is the right coach right now for the team, that seems clear now.

I don't even consider Drouin as part of this team anymore.
That chapter can't end soon enough.

I am cautioustly curious about what Drouin can do under MSL.....but I still want him gone as of now, but I wasn't so sure about Caufield anymore 2 weeks ago, ask me now?

Finish that thought.

I said it from the beginning, it's not a rebuild.....at best it's a build.
We don't have old core players on their last legs with some trade value to get some picks and prospect.

Our core players are Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov.....and most likely one or two of the kids coming up next year.
They are not 5 years from now, they are right now. We need to add to them, add to the top pick of next year....that's also why I would favor prospect over picks in this TDL. Time to build something....

Schwang

May 6, 2002
Kingston, Ont
Visit site
Campbell, Mazrek and Hutton sounds like an investment firm but these three won’t steal playoff games for the Laffs whose GM still hasn’t addressed the softness of Auston, Mitch and Tavares.
I couldn't believe the giveaways last night. Leaf defence were getting stripped of the puck left and right. I know Armia has his issues, but he does have an uncanny ability to do that. Imagine if he was there too?

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Something resonated with me and explains a lot of my feeling towards coaches changes. There's a right coach for each teams and they are not the same.

Ducharme wasn't the right coach for the Habs and I said it on day 1 (and was destroyed here). Therrien never was the right coach to deal with all the prospect and kids we had. MSL is the right coach right now for the team, that seems clear now.

I am cautioustly curious about what Drouin can do under MSL.....but I still want him gone as of now, but I wasn't so sure about Caufield anymore 2 weeks ago, ask me now?

I said it from the beginning, it's not a rebuild.....at best it's a build.
We don't have old core players on their last legs with some trade value to get some picks and prospect.

Our core players are Suzuki, Caufield, Romanov.....and most likely one or two of the kids coming up next year.
They are not 5 years from now, they are right now. We need to add to them, add to the top pick of next year....that's also why I would favor prospect over picks in this TDL. Time to build something....
Yeah I have seen a large enough sample size from Drouin that I want him gone.

Jul 6, 2016
So far, so good. I am just questionning the involvment of the assistant-coaches, the same that were working under DD.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
I do think Richardson will stay, he got a great reputation, he’s experience and he got a relationship with MSL. I think Luke and Eric Raymond will stay and the 2 others are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad