Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Vegas.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
He wasnt as bad as Hoffman. Thats the only other thing I can say.

Hoffman's lack of effort is such a pain to watch. I swear he always turns the puck over whenever near the blue line.
I'm not even sure it was lack of effort with Hoffman. He played like a rookie tonight. His passes were off, his shooting was horrible. Seems like his confidence is shot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm not even sure it was lack of effort with Hoffman. He played like a rookie tonight. His passes were off, his shooting was horrible. Seems like his confidence is shot.
Lack of confidence and eroded skills often get mistaken for one another. :sarcasm:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
What are you talking about mate?

This team made the cup finals like 2 years ago...

Toronto would probably build a statue for Dubas if that team reached the cup finals.
Blah blah blah do you really want to go there, The Covid Cup is was and always will be an anomaly. Full credit to the players starting with Carey Price who took full advantage of being in a spot they would never have been in otherwise. But yeah continue praising the Maestro despite his complete ineptitude and multiple franchise historical lows hiding just behind that facade.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs and Runner77

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
With his 3rd goal tonight, Slafkovsky actually moves into 3rd place on our goal scoring list.

It's:

Caufield: 8 goals
Suzuki: 8 goals
Slafkovsky: 3 goals (9 games)
Anderson: 3 goals (12 games)
Dvorak: 3 goals (12 games - actually all in ONE game)

The top 3 have 19 of our 34 goals (56%).

Suzuki & Caufield score 47% of our goals.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Jets fan visiting Montreal for the week, went to the game tonight and wanted to point out how great the atmosphere was. In the past year I’ve been to games in Calgary and Toronto and this was by far the most fun I’ve had at a game, other than the Canada Life Centre of course ;)

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Blah blah blah do you really want to go there, The Covid Cup is was and always will be an anomaly. Full credit to the players starting with Carey Price who took full advantage of being in a spot they would never have been in otherwise. But yeah continue praising the Maestro despite his complete ineptitude and multiple franchise historical lows hiding just behind that facade.
Too emotional maybe?

Statistically, Bergevin's reign was good.

• Haha
Reactions: Rapala

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Nah nothing to do with confidence. He's 33 soon and he's been an average player for 3 years now. There's a reason Stl did not want to sign him. He's done imo he'll be outside of the nhl in 3 years max.

With his 3rd goal tonight, Slafkovsky actually moves into 3rd place on our goal scoring list.

It's:

Dvorak: 3 goals (12 games - actually all in ONE game)

The top 3 have 19 of our 34 goals (56%).

Suzuki & Caufield score 47% of our goals.
All in one period. The only period is played this year.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Nah nothing to do with confidence. He's 33 soon and he's been an average player for 3 years now. There's a reason Stl did not want to sign him. He's done imo he'll be outside of the nhl in 3 years max.
They did want to bring him back..

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Still doesn't explain his decision making. Or how he's mishandling the puck.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Was at the game. The first line played very well. Hoffman made many blunders, so frustrating to see how each play dies on his stick. I was front row and could see the players like I never saw them. Hoffman and Drouin are too slow to process the game. On defense, Guhle and Edmundson made many mistakes with their passes but the worst by far was Wideman which was often out of position and getting pushed around by Vegas. Bring Kovacevic next game. Xhekaj has a good first pass and keeps players honest in the crease. He has to stay all year. In each of the three periods, he was sent at the beginning of the period but with different forwards each time. If we can get Heineman to play, Hoffman or Drouin has to go. Drouin in particular looked completely lost in his world and I thought he should sit and take care of himself... it was painful to watch.

One good thing is we have many big players now, it shows. We need a big team when facing lines like the Carrier line.

Overall, fun to watch the kids!
Vegas was the best team we played this year. They were bigger, faster and more skilled than us. It was men against boys. But for all those goal posts it could have been embarrassing.
We looked like a team that will be drafting in the top 5.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
Too emotional maybe?

Statistically, Bergevin's reign was good.
Which statistic?

Habs won playoff rounds in just three of ten seasons.

1667716405026.png

Habs finished in a playoff position in just five of ten seasons.

1667716456165.png

For a team that wasn’t tanking, wasn’t selling, and had the ability to spend to the cap (and did for most years)… not sure this is a rosy picture.

In any case, it’s the past. I hope we all have higher expectations of Hughes once he’s “built” this team. Just finishing in a playoff position in order to lose in round 1 is not my idea of a good time… ask Leafs fans.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
We'll depend on what's your comparable...
I like to go by Playoff Rounds Won. I think it’s the most honest statistic for judging the work of a GM -> the season campaign’s goal is to win enough in the season to finish in a playoff position and then win enough in the playoffs to finish as the Champion… so imo I like to look at at least winning one playoff round.

If you can get to and win one playoff round I think you can consider the season at least a mild success and positively reflected on the management. You can’t expect a GM to be responsible for winning every playoff series, bad bounces and bad luck and good opponents all come through. But if a GM can build a team that wins in the playoffs that’s good enough for me.

Likewise it isn’t fair to blame individual players for a team stay like that, their success is better rated by their own personal stats (pts, playoff pts, etc).

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
I like to go by Playoff Rounds Won. I think it’s the most honest statistic for judging the work of a GM -> the season campaign’s goal is to win enough in the season to finish in a playoff position and then win enough in the playoffs to finish as the Champion… so imo I like to look at at least winning one playoff round.

If you can get to and win one playoff round I think you can consider the season at least a mild success and positively reflected on the management. You can’t expect a GM to be responsible for winning every playoff series, bad bounces and bad luck and good opponents all come through. But if a GM can build a team that wins in the playoffs that’s good enough for me.

Likewise it isn’t fair to blame individual players for a team stay like that, their success is better rated by their own personal stats (pts, playoff pts, etc).
Who are you comparing it to?

Bergevin did fine on your scale..

Kunta Kinte

Nov 10, 2011
I know the season is young but Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Armia, Evans, Pitlick and Wideman have been absolutely f***ing useless and beyond words. I can add Dvorak even tho he has 3 goals, aside that game putrid. Gallagher follow him closely.

Thats 9 f***ing players that has no life left in them to bring anything offensively.

9!!!

I'd rather see Ylonen in Montreal than any of those forwards. Not that he is way superior offensively, but atleast its new blood with a pulse.

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
MTL depth sucks for sure but even more than in the past. I wondzr if the fact that MSL has no system per se is not the reason for it : it is beneficial for skilled players but depth players are lost

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
You really want to go there? :laugh:

Suzy and Cole are Bergevin's heritage...

Ghule? Harris? Xhekaj?

That's not team building. He started getting drafting results after 8 years on the job, probably because his draft priorities and decisions were partly removed. His heritage is ineptitude.

What do you have against muffins? I like muffins. Fruit explosion is the best.
C'est comme si yavait un party dans ma bouche et tout l'monde est invité! -Dinodeberry

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
MTL depth sucks for sure but even more than in the past. I wondzr if the fact that MSL has no system per se is not the reason for it : it is beneficial for skilled players but depth players are lost
In theory Dadonov, Drouin, and Hoffman are all flair/skill players who would benefit from “making reads” rather than sticking to a system they need to constantly monitor.

Ultimately though, I think a lot comes from their confidence (or lack of) in themselves at this time. Hopefully they pick it up a bit heading into the trade deadline and have a chance to revive their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad