Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Vegas.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
So basically, as soon as the opposition start shutting down Suzuki and Caufield, Habs' scoring will go to what... average 0.785 per game? If that?

Ylonen looked decent toward the end of the last season. Why not give him a shot on a forth line? Dadonov can go to Laval or better yet, walk out on the Habs and forfeit his pay.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So basically, as soon as the opposition start shutting down Suzuki and Caufield, Habs' scoring will go to what... average 0.785 per game? If that?

Ylonen looked decent toward the end of the last season. Why not give him a shot on a forth line? Dadonov can go to Laval or better yet, walk out on the Habs and forfeit his pay.

The league itself will likely slow down. I think October is notorious for higher goal scoring.

It takes time for teams to get where they need to be systematically. The adrenaline of a new year wears off, and you have to rely on good habits to manage you through a ridiculous 82 game schedule in this sport.

One of the things I wonder about with the game getting so fast with the elimination of the red line... Are we asking even more physically out of these players to complete 82 games than even 20 years ago? Is it feasible to have an 82 game season if it's not realistic for a most players to get through it? Anyways, I'm just going off on a tangent so I'll stop here.

Reactions: the and LaP

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The league itself will likely slow down. I think October is notorious for higher goal scoring.

It takes time for teams to get where they need to be systematically. The adrenaline of a new year wears off, and you have to rely on good habits to manage you through a ridiculous 82 game schedule in this sport.

One of the things I wonder about with the game getting so fast with the elimination of the red line... Are we asking even more physically out of these players to complete 82 games than even 20 years ago? Is it feasible to have an 82 game season if it's not realistic for a most players to get through it? Anyways, I'm just going off on a tangent so I'll stop here.
On one hand I would agree that fewer than 82 games would likely result in more complete/NHL level rosters because of fewer injuries. On the other hand... what else am I going to watch? So... hmm... I say make them play - they get paid a TON, and it's not just for looking pretty.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
In theory Dadonov, Drouin, and Hoffman are all flair/skill players who would benefit from “making reads” rather than sticking to a system they need to constantly monitor.

Ultimately though, I think a lot comes from their confidence (or lack of) in themselves at this time. Hopefully they pick it up a bit heading into the trade deadline and have a chance to revive their careers.

Or maybe they're just not good ...

- Nobody wanted Dandonov for a reason.
- Nobody wanted Hoffman for a reason.
- Armia was a player Jets gave to reduce their cap. The management thought the player was expendable.
- It took TB lot of time before finding a taker for Drouin despite him being a young and 3rd overall pick.
- Dvorak was traded for a protected 1st. And while i personally think it was an over-payment this is actually a small return for a signed 25 yo players. This clearly indicate teams saw him as a 3rd line player and not a dominant top 6 player.
- Anderson was traded for Domi ... i highly doubt Domi was Columbus first choice. If he was then their GM is very bad. Teams were not lining to acquire him as much as people think. He's our most overrated player. MSL tried him with Suzuki and Caufield and he was not skilled enough to follow them.

The reality is we have a good first line in Caufield, Suzuki and Dach. We have a decent 3rd line in Anderson, Dvorak and Gallagher. But we don't have a 2nd line. And if you don't have a 2nd line it means 3rd line players will fill this role and no matter the system those guys will eventually look bad over a 82 games season. People overrate lot of our players.

Last edited:
Reactions: ReHabs and Rapala

Talik Sanis

Feb 23, 2012
Montreal
I thought that he's played better the last few games. So I have hope for a bit of a resurgence. This iteration of the team desperately needs the speed he can provide at the center position.
I mean, there's also the reality that he's our fourth line center playing alongside a rotating cast of individuals, none of whom should be in the NHL. To whom little is given little is expected.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
Just a reminder of how incredibly bad our sports medias are in Montreal
We have new GM, new organization, new players, new fresh faces, new fresh core players......but the same dumbass takes from them

This is obviously a couple of years ago

For those not speaking french, this was one of them saying they need to trade Suzuki for Simmonds cause the Habs had tons of guys like Suzuki and don't need him , comparing Suzuki to Byron.

They were on Dach from the start of the season and was calling him close to a bust 1 week ago,

No wonder why they thought Therrien was a great coach and Bergevin an awesome GM.

They've been idiots for literal decades. This take about Suzuki for Simmonds should pretty much kill anyone's credibility but this fool keeps getting air time. I remember Bergeron saying Markov had no hockey sense when he as on 110%. Even the hot takes here aren't that bad.

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Therrien would have f***ed it up somehow. Thank God they didn't play under that dinosaur.
The last multiple 100 point seasons came from MTS tenure. I think Julien would have f***d it up. Losing season after losing season

Drouin is worse than Hoffman, in hockey and on the salary sheet.
Not this year imo. You can see Drouin hustling. Hoffman is the new Casperetty

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Given Bergevin's tenure (2013-2022):
The Habs rank 23/32 in Reg. Season Pt% with 0.533 (bottom3rd)
The Habs rank 13/30 in Playoff Pt% with 0.514 (middle3rd) with six playoff rounds won in ten years.

Without looking up other stats so forgive me if I make a mistake:

I think, other than the cup winners (Pittsburgh, Tampa, Colorado, Capitals, Chicago, St Louis, Los Angeles), the Sharks and Stars did better than the Habs and played more fun, more scoring hockey.

The Bruins didn't win a cup in the last ten years and they made two cup finals and won the President's Trophy.
Vegas was elite from day 1, pretty much, and made the finals.
The Preds and the Rangers made the finals and also won the President's trophy which the Habs never did.
The Panthers won the President's trophy each too (but that's... eh not really important)

That leaves Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, NY Islanders, New Jersey, and Carolina in the East and Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver, Arizona, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Seattle.

If we set aside Seattle, I think it's pretty mediocre company to be compared to the above list. It's up to you to choose how to interpret this position but keep in mind cap spending (ie Arizona and Carolina didn't have the benefit of spending as much as Bergevin did).
It looks a hell of a lot worse once you remove those first three years which had no Bergevin fingerprints on them. His greatest move was getting Vanek but then refused to cut the cord with players like David Desharnais after it was obvious he could not perform on the biggest stage. The team took a deep deep plunge two seasons following our ECF loss to the Rangers.

Last edited:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The last multiple 100 point seasons came from MTS tenure. I think Julien would have f***d it up. Losing season after losing season
Yeah exactly MT would be plugging the likes of DD in before Suzuki/Caufield even got a sniff provided they weren't in the minors for playing the WRONG way. MT liked to pull points out of his ass while decimating anything resembling team spirit.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

Ylonen's ship has sailed IMO. An interesting player who would fit nicely in our bottom 6 would be Emile Heineman where the heck is he anyways?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
It looks a hell of a lot worse once you remove those first three years which had no Bergevin fingerprints on them. His greatest move was getting Vanek but then refused to cut the cord with players like David Desharnais after it was obvious he could not perform on the biggest stage. The team took a deep deep plunge two seasons following or ECF loss to the Rangers.

The more he was putting his fingerprints on the team the worse it would get for sure. His first big long/mid term moves were acquiring Shaw "for" Eller and Weber for Subban. The other moves before were all trading away a bad contract for another bad contract (Briere for pap, cole for ryder, bourque for allen, prust for kassian) or getting short term help (Vanek, King, Martinsen, Ott, ...). <- yes i included King, Martinsen and Ott just for the lol

If you look at the standings after he traded Subban and Eller away (summer 2016) up until the point he was fired november 2021 the team is 24th in the league for P%. That's pretty bad considering we were spending to the cap. Some of the teams behind us were not.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
The more he was putting his fingerprints on the team the worse it would get for sure. His first big long/mid term moves were acquiring Shaw "for" Eller and Weber for Subban. The other moves before were all trading away a bad contract for another bad contract (Briere for pap, cole for ryder, bourque for allen, prust for kassian) or getting short term help (Vanek, King, Martinsen, Ott, ...). <- yes i included King, Martinsen and Ott just for the lol

If you look at the standings after he traded Subban and Eller away (summer 2016) up until the point he was fired november 2021 the team is 24th in the league for P%. That's pretty bad considering we were spending to the cap. Some of the teams behind us were not.

He should've got fired somewhere in the 17-18 season. After trading Subban and Eller, he still had part of the old core, with Pleks, Markov, Emelin and Pacioretty still around. He even added Radulov. It's what happened the year after trading Subban and Eller that really set him back. Since then (summer 17), only 6 teams have had a worst record than the Habs over the span of 5 seasons. We are -159 in gf/ga in those 5 seasons.

Mudz

David >> Michkov
Sep 11, 2006
Montréal
Decent game.

Edmundson and Xhekaj-Wideman cost us the game. For #44, it's expected rust (or maybe the right side).
Matheson been back within 2 weeks should help things out.

I like Matheson with Harris and Eddy with Jacko

Jul 6, 2016
Decent game.

Edmundson and Xhekaj-Wideman cost us the game. For #44, it's expected rust (or maybe the right side).
Matheson been back within 2 weeks should help things out.

I like Matheson with Harris and Eddy with Jacko
Edmundson had no training camp....

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Watching Vegas they are having great season after many predicted they might not make playoffs. I think it is their defense. Big and mobile and can move the puck. Bruins are doing similar. Many said they would battle for final playoff spot but are best team in league. Lindholm Been a God send for them.

Vegas leading the league in save percentage and spends only 3 million between their two goalies. I think defense can make a goalie great. It's wrong to give a goalie a huge contract because it is such a wildcard position. If he injured or bad season you are done. You are relying on one man. Look at Price or Bobrovsky.

• Love
Reactions: the

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad