Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Vegas.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
I think I've seen enough of Hoffman.
It took this long for you?

I know the season is young but Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, Armia, Evans, Pitlick and Wideman have been absolutely f***ing useless and beyond words. I can add Dvorak even tho he has 3 goals, aside that game putrid. Gallagher follow him closely.

Thats 9 f***ing players that has no life left in them to bring anything offensively.

9!!!

I'd rather see Ylonen in Montreal than any of those forwards. Not that he is way superior offensively, but atleast its new blood with a pulse.
Thank god most of those contracts will be done in two years.

Reactions: Rapala and Andrei79

WG

Sep 9, 2008
PlayerGPGAP+/-TOI/GPFOW%
Juraj Slafkovsky8202011:0250
Mike Hoffman9112013:5360
Jonathan Drouin8022-414:0433.3

Says a lot. (today's stats aren't calculated on NHL yet)
Suzuki + CC + Dach = 39 points. The remaining nine forwards who played last night combine thus far for 26 points. Habs have six forwards with 3 points or less through a dozen games (eight if you count Dad and Pitlick with their zero points in 15 games).

The roster storyline coming in this season was having so much depth, so many NHL caliber forwards, but for a lot of these guys like Hoff, Drouin, Dad, Armia, the only thing NHL quality about them right now is their contracts.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
The media are not happy this morning and annoyed that MSL isn't throwing his vets to the wolves for not producing so they are doing it for him.

I think Hughes should waive one of them. This should either wake up the rest or show they don't care.

I'm starting to think that Slaf/Monahan/Ylonen could work as a line. Both Slaf and Monahan need a speedy linemate. I wouldn't split Anderson/Dvorak/Gally yet and the 4th could go back to Pitlick/Evans/Armia. But to bring Ylonen up, all 3 deadwood basically need to be kicked out...

Reactions: Redux91 and Paddy17

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
once gain what's your comparable?
Given Bergevin's tenure (2013-2022):
The Habs rank 23/32 in Reg. Season Pt% with 0.533 (bottom3rd)
The Habs rank 13/30 in Playoff Pt% with 0.514 (middle3rd) with six playoff rounds won in ten years.

Without looking up other stats so forgive me if I make a mistake:

I think, other than the cup winners (Pittsburgh, Tampa, Colorado, Capitals, Chicago, St Louis, Los Angeles), the Sharks and Stars did better than the Habs and played more fun, more scoring hockey.

The Bruins didn't win a cup in the last ten years and they made two cup finals and won the President's Trophy.
Vegas was elite from day 1, pretty much, and made the finals.
The Preds and the Rangers made the finals and also won the President's trophy which the Habs never did.
The Panthers won the President's trophy each too (but that's... eh not really important)

That leaves Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, NY Islanders, New Jersey, and Carolina in the East and Edmonton, Calgary, Anaheim, Vancouver, Arizona, Minnesota, Winnipeg and Seattle.

If we set aside Seattle, I think it's pretty mediocre company to be compared to the above list. It's up to you to choose how to interpret this position but keep in mind cap spending (ie Arizona and Carolina didn't have the benefit of spending as much as Bergevin did).

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012
One thing that went through my mind watching last night’s game is how ballsy St-Louis is with his vets, and how his coaching style would be impossible for any of our previous coaches. Sitting out vets so often, so early in the season, giving them limited ice time when they suck is a sure shot at having the locker room turn on you. But the one thing he has going for him ; is that he actually played against those plugs at some point of his career. So he has some sort of street cred, and therefore can look them in the eyes and tell them to go fudge themselves with their excuses for sucking balls.
veterans are used to their big juicy minutes because of their past accomplishments, and I can easily imagine a few of them being pissed right now watching the kids passing them at full speed in the left lane. I remember a few years back the Habs had put up that “no excuses “ sign during Therrien’s tenure, but we all remember how much of a bull crap that turned out to be.
I think this is actually what a “no excuses “ should look like.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
One thing that went through my mind watching last night’s game is how ballsy St-Louis is with his vets, and how his coaching style would be impossible for any of our previous coaches. Sitting out vets so often, so early in the season, giving them limited ice time when they suck is a sure shot at having the locker room turn on you. But the one thing he has going for him ; is that he actually played against those plugs at some point of his career. So he has some sort of street cred, and therefore can look them in the eyes and tell them to go fudge themselves with their excuses for sucking balls.
veterans are used to their big juicy minutes because of their past accomplishments, and I can easily imagine a few of them being pissed right now watching the kids passing them at full speed in the left lane. I remember a few years back the Habs had put up that “no excuses “ sign during Therrien’s tenure, but we all remember how much of a bull crap that turned out to be.
I think this is actually what a “no excuses “ should look like.

He’s got more than this going for him. Aside from Gallagher, Eddy and Drouin all of the other vets are relatively new in the locker room. They have very little influence. Drouin has no influence in the room. He and the vets also know his job is secured for at least couple more years.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
Just a reminder of how incredibly bad our sports medias are in Montreal
We have new GM, new organization, new players, new fresh faces, new fresh core players......but the same dumbass takes from them

This is obviously a couple of years ago

For those not speaking french, this was one of them saying they need to trade Suzuki for Simmonds cause the Habs had tons of guys like Suzuki and don't need him , comparing Suzuki to Byron.

They were on Dach from the start of the season and was calling him close to a bust 1 week ago,

No wonder why they thought Therrien was a great coach and Bergevin an awesome GM.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was kind of expecting it but was hoping they could pull something off. That first line is still chugging along. I wish they would move Slafkovsky on to a line with Monahan and either Anderson or Gallagher on the right side.

Reactions: BLONG7

RationalExpectations

May 12, 2019
In theory Dadonov, Drouin, and Hoffman are all flair/skill players who would benefit from “making reads” rather than sticking to a system they need to constantly monitor.

Ultimately though, I think a lot comes from their confidence (or lack of) in themselves at this time. Hopefully they pick it up a bit heading into the trade deadline and have a chance to revive their careers.
I believe Drouin is a special case in that it has been so long he has not looked like a hockey player ;) for Dadonov and Hoffman they are snipers. Hoffman is a pure sniper, he needs a system in my opinion because he cannot make plays and does not have the IQ / execution to process all information available. Dadonov ahould be suffering less from a lack of system to be fair I agree.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Let me explain what Expy is trying to say

Both players are garbage and waste of salary cap.

The end.
Ultimately, they are.
But one of them :
- iS Worse
-Is Signed for another year
- HAD JUST TRIED TO ONE-TIME A PUCK FROM BEHIND THE GOAL LINE

• Haha
Reactions: Redux91

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Was kind of expecting it but was hoping they could pull something off. That first line is still chugging along. I wish they would move Slafkovsky on to a line with Monahan and either Anderson or Gallagher on the right side.
We have to keep our expectations for this year in check. For an easy comparative exercise of the two teams last night all you have to ask is: how many of our players could make the Vegas team last night? 5? 6? Even more condemnatory, is to ask how many Vegas players could make our team. The talent, size and experience differential between the two teams is stark. These two teams could play each other 10 times and I’d be overly optimistic if I’d say we would win two times. We are what we are. A team in transition. Vegas is a loaded team at the top of the castle and we are just starting to fill the moat. But better times are coming. And they are coming soon. Of this I’m confident. So lets all sit back and watch the maturation of our core of young players and look forward to what will be a very profitable draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: CHwest and BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I believe Drouin is a special case in that it has been so long he has not looked like a hockey player ;) for Dadonov and Hoffman they are snipers. Hoffman is a pure sniper, he needs a system in my opinion because he cannot make plays and does not have the IQ / execution to process all information available. Dadonov ahould be suffering less from a lack of system to be fair I agree.
Drouin is a special case alright................so special. We should be getting an injury any game now, so he can take the rest of the season off. History tells us this will happen.
Dadonov will be gone next week, either on waivers or Laval................Hoffman, please lord let him score a couple and facilitate a trade to the Caps! They need forwards....

Reactions: Forum93

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Suzuki + CC + Dach = 39 points. The remaining nine forwards who played last night combine thus far for 26 points. Habs have six forwards with 3 points or less through a dozen games (eight if you count Dad and Pitlick with their zero points in 15 games).

The roster storyline coming in this season was having so much depth, so many NHL caliber forwards, but for a lot of these guys like Hoff, Drouin, Dad, Armia, the only thing NHL quality about them right now is their contracts.

Jake Evans has kind of flying under the radar but he's been very unnoticeable as well.

Reactions: Paddy17 and BLONG7

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Jake Evans has kind of flying under the radar but he's been very unnoticeable as well.
I thought that he's played better the last few games. So I have hope for a bit of a resurgence. This iteration of the team desperately needs the speed he can provide at the center position.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad