Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Panthers. A lose-lose situation.

Walrus26

Wearing a Habs Toque in England.
May 24, 2018
Peterborough, UK
He must have really had a good game when you see this.

Smurfette and her mates could bully that lineup. We looked so, so small out there and got slapped around accordingly. I know we can't legislate for all the injuries (although I bet we could be doing more to mitigate the risk), but.......sheesh.

Size matters. Skilled size for sure, but size and power still really matters.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Since the league won’t intervene to deter this kind of move, the players will have to do it themselves.

He was either very clumsy there or dirty. Which if it's the case, he deserved a beating.

The Habs dressing room didn’t need to look too far to come with this.

I would be partial to Meatloaf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runner77

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Gonna need to pick up 2-3 fighters in the summer. I have never seen a team get physically bullied like this before. No pride at all, these smurfs are going to be non stop injured with the runs guys are taking at them game in game out. That last shift buy Gudas was brutal, no one did anything to him. I know it won't stop all injuries but you gotta keep guys honest. The last shift where gudas took three runs at guys with 2 min left up 4-1, that's where you put your fighters out there with 2 min left, don't need these young small guys taking that abuse.
doesn't matter if Arber was in RATgo has always been and will always be known as a cheap shot coward who hits and then shies away from fights.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Since the league won’t intervene to deter this kind of move, the players will have to do it themselves.

I posted about this last night and some people said that Gudas was going for the puck but he wasn't. I paid attention to him during the game and on each shift, he attempted or executed a dirty play. He is a dangerous player and needs a few upper-cut punches to the head.

Smurfette and her mates could bully that lineup. We looked so, so small out there and got slapped around accordingly. I know we can't legislate for all the injuries (although I bet we could be doing more to mitigate the risk), but.......sheesh.

Size matters. Skilled size for sure, but size and power still really matters.
I agree. It's the reason why they swept us all year, we can't handle big teams that use their size as an advantage.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I posted about this last night and some people said that Gudas was going for the puck but he wasn't. I paid attention to him during the game and on each shift, he attempted or executed a dirty play. He is a dangerous player and needs a few upper-cut punches to the head.

I agree. It's the reason why they swept us all year, we can't handle big teams that use their size as an advantage.

Agreed. It's nice to see progress with our rebuild and youth performance but this Habs roster needs to get tougher down the road. For now, we focus on Development but in 3+ years, we are going to have to evaluate our playoff chances of a deep run vs being a playoff one and done team.

5-8 range does not have a undisputed BPA and some fans want to draft Benson? I just don't get it. We have to stop building our roster with smurfs if we want a cup. Draft Michkov if he slips yes but let Benson slide. He's not likely to be as good as Caufield but Michkov can! Otherwise, focus on Smith or guys with both skill and size.

Picking at 5 or 6 has me nervous heading into this draft.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
One thing I thought was awesome was how Evans/Gallagher were probably even more excited for Farrell than himself after he scored.

A lot of the veteran guys on this team aren't great hockey players by any means, but Edmundson/Matheson/Allen/Savard/Gallagher/Evans/Wideman etc all seem like great guys in the locker room and make these young kids feel welcome into the league.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I take it you don't like Slafkovsky. 18y/o Power Forward with top-6 skills isn't a Winger who will make this work?
Not yet. I'll be sold on him when I'm sold on him. Hopefully by the end of next season we will have a better idea. He's still very raw.

His first goal was prettier than Sean Farrell's if that means anything. :sarcasm:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: rik schau

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
well we all know that it takes longer for bigger guys to develop Slaf is a monster he was already a top 5 heaviest in the NHL at 18 years old lets give him time i like hes attitude im sure he will keep improving

True but his point is Slaf is not there yet. He didn't shine right away and now we wait to see if he has break out seasons or if it's a long term gain like KK was.

Of course we will support him and his development. So lets see what kind of jump he takes for his age 19 season next year. I think we will know a little more then.

Reactions: rik schau

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
well we all know that it takes longer for bigger guys to develop Slaf is a monster he was already a top 5 heaviest in the NHL at 18 years old lets give him time i like hes attitude im sure he will keep improving
Size and coordination can be a factor but It starts with Hockey Acumen and that was what I found sorely lacking.
Given his age and give how bad our team is and given how I'm 100% convinced he would have been better served elsewhere for his 1st year in NA. He will certainly have time to prove himself. Size does not affect hockey IQ and never has. I liked a guy like Tage Thompson the first time I saw him because I could tell he sees the ice. Sean Farrell who does not have nearly the attributes of Slaf has shown us Hockey Acumen. I truly wish he had Slaf's body.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008

That's dangerous. People thinking he is going for the puck don't play hockey, bottom line. That's a classic, I'm gassed and need to end the guys scoring opportunity. Gross hockey.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I will literally be nauseous all day that day

I remember my heart was racing during that Crosby lottery as there were 5 teams left and the habs were still in the mix.

I know it will never happen annually, but having every team part of the lottery that year ended up being the most exciting lottery of all time.

This one feels a little different, because the Habs were way further up in the standings back then compared to where they are now. I don't like the concept of tanking, but I guess you gotta play the system that encourages such behaviour.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
That's dangerous. People thinking he is going for the puck don't play hockey, bottom line. That's a classic, I'm gassed and need to end the guys scoring opportunity. Gross hockey.
It's a penalty 100 times out of 100 and it didn't get called. But they will always call the dive sweep while getting 100% puck if the player also goes down. :banghead:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I remember my heart was racing during that Crosby lottery as there were 5 teams left and the habs were still in the mix.

I know it will never happen annually, but having every team part of the lottery that year ended up being the most exciting lottery of all time.

This one feels a little different, because the Habs were way further up in the standings back then compared to where they are now. I don't like the concept of tanking, but I guess you gotta play the system that encourages such behaviour.
Me too and then snagging 5th was so anticlimactic my heart hit the floor. Sorry Carey. :laugh:

• Haha
Reactions: habsfan891

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

I think we can unequivocally say the Habs never tanked. They embarked on a rebuild which happens to many teams, especially when the star power of their core ages out/retires like Price and Weber in our case.

They sold players who were not going to be the right age when we were competitive vs. what Chicago did trading players like Debrincat and Dach, or Arizona with Chcyrhun.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
He might be that winger, but he has not proven that he is that winger.

It's not that hard.
What was said was that that type of winger isn’t in the system.. usually
Size and coordination can be a factor but It starts with Hockey Acumen and that was what I found sorely lacking.
Given his age and give how bad our team is and given how I'm 100% convinced he would have been better served elsewhere for his 1st year in NA. He will certainly have time to prove himself. Size does not affect hockey IQ and never has. I liked a guy like Tage Thompson the first time I saw him because I could tell he sees the ice. Sean Farrell who does not have nearly the attributes of Slaf has shown us Hockey Acumen. I truly wish he had Slaf's body.
i think Slaf has shown decent IQ but with his sheer size and now being drafted 1oa he is overwhelmed and had an up and down first year while being injured three times. It suck’s yes, and maybe he was better serve elsewhere his first year.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I think we can unequivocally say the Habs never tanked. They embarked on a rebuild which happens to many teams, especially when the star power of their core ages out/retires like Price and Weber in our case.

They sold players who were not going to be the right age when we were competitive vs. what Chicago did trading players like Debrincat and Dach, or Arizona with Chcyrhun.

They didn't burn everything to the ground, but for me, a tank is more to do with the tone from management.

The Habs are not trying to win, and management is trying to put out enough barriers on the ice to ensure that to be the case.

When a management's main objective for any given game is not to win that game, I think we have entered tank country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad