Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Leafs

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Barron is in trouble. Mailloux is already better than him and Reinbacher is coming.
I hope both Barron and Harris are gone after next season or stay in laval. LM and Reiner will hopefully take their place. Matheson on the second pair. Habs still need a bonafide #1 D and PP QB. Arber and Struble solid #3 pair. Savard is swapped for a top 6 winger. That;s the master plan, baby!

Last edited:
Reactions: Habs

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I hope both Barron and Harris are gone after next season or stay in laval. LM and Reiner will hopefully take their place. Matheson on the second pair. Habs still need a bonafide #1 D and PP QB.
Not sure what to make of “Reiner” who had one goal in 35 games this season (the goal was an empty netter on his first game). He played on an awful team and went through 3 head coaching changes but you still expect greater production from a guy picked 5th overall.

He was also panned by Scott Wheeler for his limited offensive potential.

I hope we don’t end up regretting this pick.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Not sure what to make of “Reiner” who had one goal in 35 games this season (the goal was an empty netter on his first game). He played on an awful team and went through 3 head coaching changes but you still expect greater production from a guy picked 5th overall.

Scott Wheeler sucks.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019

After reading this I already do.

Reactions: Runner77

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Here's another example of why this Leafs team will never win anything.

In a regular season game, with 2 pts on the line, they chose to put Matthews out to close the game in the hopes that he'd get an artificially inflating ENG.

They did the same thing last year with Marner's point streak.

They are focused on all these regular season, mickey mouse things rather than building a culture to win.
Matthews tried real hard to get that goal too.

I remember when Max was at 39 goals and specifically didn’t want to get the 40th on an empty net.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I hope both Barron and Harris are gone after next season or stay in laval. LM and Reiner will hopefully take their place. Matheson on the second pair. Habs still need a bonafide #1 D and PP QB. Arber and Struble solid #3 pair. Savard is swapped for a top 6 winger. That;s the master plan, baby!
They don't need PP QB. Hutson or Mailloux can probably do it. Guhle is also a possibility.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002

Bustbacher was never the right pick, Michkov was. At least if Mich refused to play here you have a hot asset to move.

Reactions: The Real Timo

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal

I think we won't be disappointed if we temper expectations already

Reinbacher will definitely be a good 2nd pairing defensemen with shutdown potential

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Solid, entertaining game but f*** man I'm getting tired of these one goal losses. Literally each of the last four Habs games I've watched they've lost ALL of them by one goal.
I think it bodes well for next year. To be in that many close games when you basically only have one line that contributes offensively and a really young defence is a good sign.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Kloten's***
I made that point but going into the season, there were concerns about Reiner’s offensive potential and this season only created more doubts.

You don’t pick a limited offensive blue liner with your 5th overall that Hughes himself tabbed as a 2nd pairing D. I’m more looking forward to what the other D prospects have in store at this time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think we won't be disappointed if we temper expectations already

Reinbacher will definitely be a good 2nd pairing defensemen with shutdown potential
That’s a low bar for a 5th overall pick but Reiner does have a tremendous amount of support in here. I would temper my expectations for a later pick in the draft though, not a 5th overall.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
I made that point but going into the season, there were concerns about Reiner’s offensive potential and this season only created more doubts.

You don’t pick a limited offensive blue liner with your 5th overall that Hughes himself tabbed as a 2nd pairing D. I’m more looking forward to what the other D prospects have in store at this time.
His bread and butter is the transition game. When you play with far superior teammates, that will translate into points. Look at Matheson.

Reinbacher is basically Aaron Ekblad who was picked 1st overall. There’s nothing wrong with that.

jrom

Mar 28, 2022

Maybe it’s gonna be a bad pick but no management team would grab at #5 a guy expected to be a 2nd pairing.

Hugo also said he doesn’t want to trade Anderson, that Gally is a great vet he likes to have, blabla.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax

The concerns about Reinbacher's offensive potential come from nerds like Scott Wheeler who think the only way a good defenseman creates offense is to skate around endlessly with the puck, dangle people and make high risk plays all over the ice, regardless of what happens at the other end of the ice.

Reinbacher is two-way defenseman, he isn't an offensive defenseman but he has offensive tools that will result in points and net positive offensive possessions when he is on the ice.

Someone like Reinbacher is always going to be a victim of his point totals reflecting the quality of the team around him. His entire offensive game is built off his skating, poise with the puck, finding the right outlet, moving the puck forward and then cycling the puck, pinching in and getting his shot through on the net. He has a good shot but it isn't a shot that is going to be a double digit goal scorer.

You absolutely pick a defenseman like Reinbacher in the top 5. He is the perfect partner for a limited guy like Matheson or Hutson. You don't find many guys his size who skate like he does with the poise that he plays with. All you need to do is throw on the tape of him at the Worlds last year to see exactly what he is all about and how good and valuable he is to a team.

Watching his point totals is not going to help anyone understand what he's capable of and it's a big blackhole in why someone like Wheeler constantly gets clowned on for NHLe nonsense.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
His bread and butter is the transition game. When you play with far superior teammates, that will translate into points. Look at Matheson.

Reinbacher is basically Aaron Ekblad who was picked 1st overall. There’s nothing wrong with that.
We’ll see. There might have been an overreach given how it was an offence heavy draft.

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
We’ll see. There might have been an overreach given how it was an offence heavy draft.

If it was an overreach, then every other team picking 5th overall was going to overreach. Even Philly had they swindled us for Gauthier (who wouldn't have signed here) was gonna take Reinbacher there over Michkov.

And i'm not sure how much more there was outside of Michkov, hell Dvorsky's situation in a pro league was so bad they moved him to the OHL.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
If it was an overreach, then every other team picking 5th overall was going to overreach. Even Philly had they swindled us for Gauthier (who wouldn't have signed here) was gonna take Reinbacher there over Michkov.

And i'm not sure how much more there was outside of Michkov, hell Dvorsky's situation in a pro league was so bad they moved him to the OHL.
People really forget his 2 Pre-season games with the Habs, it's crazy
You could already see him flourish with better talent

It's so surprise his whole mindset and plan for this year shifted the second he finished his 1st game at the bell center, he knew it would be a rough one with this unskilled and bad team of his in NL
We can't underestimate how bad he wants to come over too

Reactions: WeThreeKings

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I remember that some teams were trying to get the Habs pick but don’t recall what Brière was going to do other than being really positive about Michkov, who he took out for several hours with other members of the Flyers.

I respect that you have a different opinion on Reinbacher but I can’t get there at this time.

Reactions: FloJack

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
That’s a low bar for a 5th overall pick but Reiner does have a tremendous amount of support in here. I would temper my expectations for a later pick in the draft though, not a 5th overall.

So true, good second pairing D are easy to find you're not picking a guy 5th overall hoping he will be only that

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
People really forget his 2 Pre-season games with the Habs, it's crazy
You could already see him flourish with better talent

It's so surprise his whole mindset and plan for this year shifted the second he finished his 1st game at the bell center, he knew it would be a rough one with this unskilled and bad team of his in NL
We can't underestimate how bad he wants to come over too

He did looked good in those 2 games and i hope he will become that stud RHD 1st pairing, but some are just mentionning there's room for concern due to what's look like a deceiving D+1 season

Man do some in here are getting up in arms as soon as someone post something that MAY look like a critic of this management, chill guy's this is a hockey message board we dont have to agree on everything ;)

WeThreeKings

Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I remember that some teams were trying to get the Habs pick but don’t recall what Brière was going to do other than being really positive about Michkov, who he took out for several hours with other members of the Flyers.

I respect that you have a different opinion on Reinbacher but I can’t get there at this time.

It was well documented when the Gauthier trade went down that they had tried to move Gauthier for 5 at the draft and that they were going to use the pick on Reinbacher if they had it. We all know Arizona wanted Reinbacher which is why they pivoted to Simashev when the pick was in. Nashville had the crowd and media buzzing when they were trying to trade up, that trade up talk stopped the minute the Habs selection was in. Pronman (who guessed the draft correctly up to the Willander pick) also mentioned for weeks after the combine that the smoke around Reinbacher was real and that teams calling Montreal to get to 5 - would be calling for Reinbacher and not Michkov. Everything after the draft surmises that was true.

So Reinbacher being labeled as an 'overreach' is just not a true statement. He was going there for 9/10 teams that had that pick. Now, we know players bust all the time, so Reinbacher could still bust or underwhelm, but that doesn't make the pick a reach. The same can be true of Fantilli's hockey sense limiting him from being more than a 2nd liner, we just don't know yet.

I also don't expect you to change your opinion, we all have differing ones, this place would be boring otherwise. I do feel it necessary to push back against some narratives that sometimes get passed around as fact when they aren't. I've been victimized by the same thing in the past.

So when you use the names of Scott Wheeler to accentuate your opinion, it's necessary we understand the biases. Wheeler doesn't like defenseman like Reinbacher, he likes defenseman like Morgan Rielly. I personally prefer the Reinbacher defenseman because their value is high when it matters most.

If you are expecting or hoping for the Dahlin level offense out of Reinbacher, you're not going to get it and if anyone believed that (not saying you did) then they just duped themselves. Reinbacher produces offense in the way that McDonagh, Suter, Weber and Pietrangelo produce offense. I'd take every one of those guys ahead of the Rielly's of the world.

The question will be can Reinbacher find the consistency in his defensive game and the consistency in his offensive game to be a first pairing defenseman or will it move him down to the role of a 4/5 defenseman. There's no question this guy is a NHL talent at defense.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite

I think people should prepare themselves for the strong possibility that Reinbacher - Hutson may be best served in Laval for a spell, if we can get some coaching in place.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad