Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Leafs

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They don't need PP QB. Hutson or Mailloux can probably do it. Guhle is also a possibility.

Guhle will be an important peice to the future, but if it turns out that he is the best pp option in the system, thats not going to be a good thing. I have hope that the answer is still in the pipeline, though.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I suggest a quick visit to the Leafs' board, where the uneasiness of their fan base can be sensed after having watched their darlings being outplayed for large portions of the game by the talent challenged Canadiens. I think they have quickly realized that Edmundson may not have been the trade deadline answer to their leaky defence.

It's not surprising that the Bruins manhandled them earlier this week.
As many talking heads have been pondering last 2-months, perhaps Shanahan & Treliving also realize this Leafs team is not “ready”, hence, not going all in at deadline

Maybe it’s gonna be a bad pick but no management team would grab at #5 a guy expected to be a 2nd pairing.

Hugo also said he doesn’t want to trade Anderson, that Gally is a great vet he likes to have, blabla.
This needs to stop, Hughes only stated he thinks Redenbacher may play 2nd PP, not that he’s a 2nd pairing Dman

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
you’d think by now people would wait 2-3 years before saying that.

Nah, seems the gut feeling is usually correct. Reminds me of the Kotkaniemi pick, taking him way too high and passing over legit franchise players. Especially when the scouts know how many D are in this year's draft, it was worth skipping that kid and grabbing one this year instead.

As many talking heads have been pondering last 2-months, perhaps Shanahan & Treliving also realize this Leafs team is not “ready”, hence, not going all in at deadline

This needs to stop, Hughes only stated he thinks Redenbacher may play 2nd PP, not that he’s a 2nd pairing Dman
Isn't that really the same thing?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Edit: D2 but evokes doubt that he can run a PP at the NHL level.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Not sure what to make of “Reiner” who had one goal in 35 games this season (the goal was an empty netter on his first game). He played on an awful team and went through 3 head coaching changes but you still expect greater production from a guy picked 5th overall.

He was also panned by Scott Wheeler for his limited offensive potential.

I hope we don’t end up regretting this pick.
With Leonard looking like a future star, some of us are already regretting the pick. But let's give the kid a chance.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I think it bodes well for next year. To be in that many close games when you basically only have one line that contributes offensively and a really young defence is a good sign.
Young or not, I thought Montreal's defence, overall, played much better than the playoff bound Leafs' defence. Xhekaj had one of his most porous games, since being re-called. His potential, however, is there for everyone to see. It's part of his maturation process that all of our young defencemen (Hutson, Mailloux, Reinbacher, etc.) will have to undergo. But that we can routinely hang and compete with the league's powerhouse teams with this young defence is very promising.

If some of these young defencemen take the next step forward we will be a playoff team. If most of them take that necessary developmental step, we become a legitimate contender.

Last edited:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
With Leonard looking like a future star, some of us are already regretting the pick. But let's give the kid a chance.
1 kid playing on unbelievably stacked team in college loaded with NHL prospects
1 kid playing on a disaster team circling the drain all year with former NHL busts and has beens.....

And I was a Leonard man myself and completely dismissed the notion we were EVER taking Reinbacher..
But it's like you said, can we give him a bit more of a chance before demanding the heads of our 2 new bosses trying to build something here

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
1 kid playing on a disaster team circling the drain all year with former NHL busts and has beens.....

And I was a Leonard man myself and completely dismissed the notion we were EVER taking Reinbacher..
But it's like you said, can we give him a bit more of a chance before demanding the heads of our 2 new bosses trying to build something here
A very reasoned position.

Reactions: NewDef and Redux91

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

People made the same excuses for KK , thats why we have PTSD. 'give him time' 'it will come' 'the skills are there, somewhere'
Even if he becomes a 3-4 Dman, I say they wait till this year to load up on D and should have went with a forwards. What's the rush, we suck anyways? I'm worried we are back in the same mentality , drafting for need over BPA.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002
is Guhle a second pair defenceman because he doesn't play PP1?

If this team wasn't rebuilding that's where Guhle should be for a bit. He's being asked to do too much. I love Guhle, but I'm not sure where he fits best down the road. But the difference here is we did not burn a top 10 pick on KG, and he was the BPA at that draft position. That's how you draft.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
People made the same excuses for KK , thats why we have PTSD. 'give him time' 'it will come' 'the skills are there, somewhere'
Even if he becomes a 3-4 Dman, I say they wait till this year to load up on D and should have went with a forwards. What's the rush, we suck anyways? I'm worried we are back in the same mentality , drafting for need over BPA.
Or it could be another Seider type pick … everyone was going WTF is Stevie Y doing ..

Reactions: Habs

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
The concerns about Reinbacher's offensive potential come from nerds like Scott Wheeler who think the only way a good defenseman creates offense is to skate around endlessly with the puck, dangle people and make high risk plays all over the ice, regardless of what happens at the other end of the ice.

Reinbacher is two-way defenseman, he isn't an offensive defenseman but he has offensive tools that will result in points and net positive offensive possessions when he is on the ice.

Someone like Reinbacher is always going to be a victim of his point totals reflecting the quality of the team around him. His entire offensive game is built off his skating, poise with the puck, finding the right outlet, moving the puck forward and then cycling the puck, pinching in and getting his shot through on the net. He has a good shot but it isn't a shot that is going to be a double digit goal scorer.

You absolutely pick a defenseman like Reinbacher in the top 5. He is the perfect partner for a limited guy like Matheson or Hutson. You don't find many guys his size who skate like he does with the poise that he plays with. All you need to do is throw on the tape of him at the Worlds last year to see exactly what he is all about and how good and valuable he is to a team.

Watching his point totals is not going to help anyone understand what he's capable of and it's a big blackhole in why someone like Wheeler constantly gets clowned on for NHLe nonsense.

The best comparison I could think of for Reinbacher would be Ryan Suter, another defenseman posters here who follow hockeydb would have panicked about for a few years after his draft. His game also wasn't about flash, but every manager in the league would have wanted him on their too pair.

Last edited:

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
If this team wasn't rebuilding that's where Guhle should be for a bit. He's being asked to do too much. I love Guhle, but I'm not sure where he fits best down the road. But the difference here is we did not burn a top 10 pick on KG, and he was the BPA at that draft position. That's how you draft.
Concept of BPA varies based on teams analyses and style of play, except obviously for McDavid, Ovy, Crosby types..

It’s clear HuGo don’t believe Michkov was that elite can’t miss superstar at NHL level..

It’s BPA was that obvious Makar, Peterssen would’ve been 1OA or gone 1-2

Reactions: 1909

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Concept of BPA varies based on teams analyses and style of play, except obviously for McDavid, Ovy, Crosby types..

It’s clear HuGo don’t believe Michkov was that elite can’t miss superstar at NHL level..

It is clear that more than HuGo thought that by his draft position.

Habs

Feb 28, 2002

I think the Michkov concern was that he didn't for sure want to play in Montreal, or something like that. Who cares? He's still the best pawn to move if he didn't want to be here, you just don't pass on better players which I'm convinced Leonard and Michkov were. You cannot blow your top draft picks and expect to build a winner, it doesn't work like this.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I think the Michkov concern was that he didn't for sure want to play in Montreal, or something like that. Who cares? He's still the best pawn to move if he didn't want to be here, you just don't pass on better players which I'm convinced Leonard and Michkov were. You cannot blow your top draft picks and expect to build a winner, it doesn't work like this.
But Preds reportedly were convinced enough to offer up Askarov + 1st to select Redenbacher, and Philly reportedly offered up Gauthier to be able to select Redenbacher at 5OA suspecting Az would select him at 6OA

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

This says it all. While availability ( as with all Russian players) was a factor, it wasn't the determining factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00