Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to Nucks in SO, 2-1

Pencil stache over/under mole?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The team is weak on LD, everyone knows it but to continue with Chiarot as a first pair LD will continue to cost this team, why won't they experiment with another player? Mete with Weber perhaps?

Reactions: HelloBellyvo

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The team is weak on LD, everyone knows it but to continue with Chiarot as a first pair LD will continue to cost this team, why won't they experiment with another player? Mete with Weber perhaps?

The question is — why is it so obvious to us but not to them? What are we misconstruing?

Reactions: OldCraig71

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
is Romanov ready ?

Kulak is.

Or play Petry on first pairing LD and replace him with Kulak on second pairing. Leave Romanov where he is.

Essentially, just remove Chiarot from first pairing.

Kulak buys you time until a better solution emerges.

Reactions: OldCraig71

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Kulak is.

Or play Perry on first pairing LD and replace him with Kulak on second pairing. Leave Romanov where he is.

Essentially, just remove Chiarot from first pairing.
thing is, Kulak is 3rd pair material, Edmund is the same type of D than Chariot and he and Petry are doing fine as a pair...

so if not Chariot we break the only pairing doing well every game or replace with a 3rd pair D...

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
As odd as it sounds, I am the least nervous when Kulak and Romanov are on the ice.

Yup, although I used to be faaar more nervous of Petry pinching before we signed Mr. Ed; he's honestly been a very good fit with him...Kulak might not be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy, but he's sound there and Romanov is learning the ropes and, despite a few rookie mistakes here and there, is coming along well...those other two boneheads, you know those meatheads that get the most minutes, are the problem...

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
thing is, Kulak is 3rd pair material, Edmund is the same type of D than Chariot and he and Petry are doing fine as a pair...

so if not Chariot we break the only pairing doing well every game or replace with a 3rd pair D...

There is no perfect solution to a poorly built D.

I’m not a fan of Kulak but he’s more mobile that Chiarot and not as brain dead.

Your most exposed paring right now needs to be broken up.

Buys you time to seek a better solution.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozmodiar

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
There is no perfect solution to a poorly built D.

I’m not a fan of Kulak but he’s more mobile that Chiarot and not as brain dead.

Your most exposed paring right now needs to broken up.

Buys you time to seek a better solution.

Why not play Mete, a puck-mover??...yeah, he's pretty small, soft, and his shot couldn't bruise a grape, but he's a better fit than Braindead Ben...

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Why not play Mete, a puck-mover??...yeah, he's pretty small, soft, and his shot couldn't bruise a grape, but he's a better fit than Braindead Ben...

I believe Kulak would be a better stopgap. I would only play Mete in case of injury but that’s just my opinion.

Would bringing in Fleury into the mix, help?

Reactions: Ozmodiar

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
personally I'd do something like

1st pair Edmund-Petry
2nd pair Kulak-Weber
3rd pair Chiarot-Romanov

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
Yup, although I used to be faaar more nervous of Petry pinching before we signed Mr. Ed; he's honestly been a very good fit with him...Kulak might not be anything more than a 3rd pairing guy, but he's sound there and Romanov is learning the ropes and, despite a few rookie mistakes here and there, is coming along well...those other two boneheads, you know those meatheads that get the most minutes, are the problem...
That's on the coach. Plain and simple.

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
I believe Kulak would be a better stopgap. I would only play Mete in case of injury but that’s just my opinion.

Would bringing in Fleury into the mix, help?
Gotta leave Ed and Petry together, so ...

promote Romanov, then 2 left side players on 3rd pairing. - Kulak and Chiarot

Promote Kulak, then you have Romanov and Chiarot, which is just scary.

Whack-a-mole

I would ... promote Romanov, let Kulak play on the right side. Bring in Fleury if it doesn’t work.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Probably for all those reasons + he can’t be counted on to face the oppositions top lines for 17TOI+ per game

Chiarot is there by default simply because of experience, having played on top-2 D pairings during time w Jets - Byfuglien & Trouba

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I disagree wholeheartedly; Danault's job is to cover the middle of the ice, Anderson's is to provide back pressure to the puck carrier on his side (which he isn't doing, I admit) and Chairot's is to cover his side of the ice to take away that passing lane/minimize the lane for Gaudette if he does receive the pass...and we see this every game; BrainRot is always out of position...Weber actually plays this correctly, so does Dan-NoGoal (Drouin & Anderson are out of position behind the play but they aren't the main culprits here and shouldn't have been out there to begin with)...and this happens constantly when Braindead Ben is out there...

No, Danault can't do that. He's too far behind. There's no way he can take the middle of the ice away from Horvat. Chiarot's job is to make sure Horvat can't get a breakaway up the middle, while Weber takes the strong side winger.

Coverage of the weak side belongs to a forward not Chiarot. All 3 forwards were on the wrong side of the puck. It essentially turned into a 3 on 2, with Weber - Chiarot being the 2. All 3 forwards were completely useless.

Chiarot actually played fine against Canucks. Weber wasn't good.

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Who are the Habs wingers on that pic -- Anderson and Drouin?

With 44 seconds left in a one goal game, who would you say would have been the best choices to have as wingers in that situation?

I'm assuming they were out because of speed. Ducharme wanted an ENG, but their defensive engagement was atrocious. Danault was out because of faceoffs.

My one issue with Ducharme is I think he over thinks things. Put Byron out. Defensively he's still good and would've covered off Gaudette. I would have used Suzuki, Toffoli, or Gallagher as the other winger.

Anderson and Drouin should not have been out there.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
It's amazing how 3v3 OT has evolved. It went from "exciting high frequency attacking", to the most boring "hold on the puck until you die of old age" tactics even JM would refuse to do.
That's just when Montreal is on it, other teams still entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad